• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Multi-channel Listening and Understanding Some Basic Concepts

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
In this configuration I can use Roon for bass management and advanced EQ which means I can switch the AVR to Pure Direct to maximise it’s performance.
Sorry that you have yet to get a reply to your question here.
I personally don't use Roon, so that leaves me in a place where I have zero background to be able to help you.
I'm hoping this bump to this thread will attract someone with the needed knowledge.
Sal

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
In this configuration I can use Roon for bass management and advanced EQ which means I can switch the AVR to Pure Direct to maximise it’s performance.
If the NUC can handle it, sure.

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've been listening to "fake" multi-channel music recently after reading this thread the other week, via my Yamaha RX-A3060. I've listened to "real" multi-channel music for years, but the supply is limited and the supply of music I actually like even more so. Unfortunately my Yamaha has left me frustrated, even though the concept is very nice.

I kept hearing distortion even at moderate volumes and discovered the only thing that fixes the issue is using "Pure Direct" mode. There is definitely no issue with distortion when cranking the volume in Pure Direct, but in any fake mix it is very prevalent.

In low volume situations, I rather like the 9-channel stereo mode. I'd love @amirm to test a Yamaha in one of these fake modes and see just how much the SINAD drops. If I was a betting man, I'd say by the order of 20 dB.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I've been listening to "fake" multi-channel music recently after reading this thread the other week, via my Yamaha RX-A3060. I've listened to "real" multi-channel music for years, but the supply is limited and the supply of music I actually like even more so.
I hear this quite often and it surprises me a bit.
Not sure what genre of music your into but the market in both popular and classical is very large and still growing every day.
Subscribe to a few forums like
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/listening-to-now-in-surround.2616673/
And get in tune with the multich communities.

JoachimStrobel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Not sure what genre of music your into but the market in both popular and classical is very large and still growing every day.
Subscribe to a few forums like
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/listening-to-now-in-surround.2616673/
And get in tune with the multich communities.
I wish I could share your enthusiasm about new music appearing. But I do not see that for jazz. We urgently need a good Mch streaming platform, otherwise I am afraid it goes as quad did.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
But I do not see that for jazz.
I'm not much of a jazz follower but I do know that Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band recently announced the 8/28 release of The Gordian Knot on BluRay Audio in 2ch HiRez, 5.1 24/48, plus 7.1 Auro 3D, and Dolby Atmos immersive formats.. I have a number of other surround releases by Gordon and also a couple from Bernie Dresel, The BPB's drummer. All excellent surround big band jazz recordings.
https://pureaudiorecordings.com/product/gordon-goodwins-big-phat-band-the-gordian-knot/
GordianKnotBluRay_grande.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Hungry for any new release I did order that immediately...
Great, the more that order the better the chances of continued production.
Gordon Goodwin and Bernie Dresel are both big fans of multich and immersive recording.
Be sure to check his stuff out, the sound quality of both his 5.1 and immersive mixes I find incredible
folder.png
folder.jpg

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
And do you think there would be any benefit of using solutions 1) or 2) to improve performance ?
Such changes are, imho, incremental, as is your Option 3. Since I have no analog/phono sources, I'd go all the way.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I don't think I've ever looked up something I was already going to get and found that there was also a multichannel version available.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I don't think I've ever looked up something I was already going to get and found that there was also a multichannel version available.
Not ever? I'd say, not often.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not ever? I'd say, not often.

Well, I have never actually seen one, but maybe I should have put the emphasis on seen instead.

I'm sure there are a few mch version out there of something I already have but I just didn't see it since the market is heavily segmented.

About the closest I've come across naturally are concert DVDs and Blurays of bands I like, and some of those are probably mch, but I'm not a fan of live albums in the first place so I don't really have any interest in those.

Last edited:
Top Bottom