• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Multi-channel Listening and Understanding Some Basic Concepts

Sorry to bother once more, but I would like to know if Roon can EQ individual channels separately like YPAO or Audissey ? Each speaker needs a different EQ curve because depending on it’s location in the room it will interact differently with boundaries (SBIR) and room modes.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Sorry to bother once more
It's no bother bro, that's why were here, to help each other and enjoy community.
I don't use Roon myself but I'm sure one of the others will be along shortly.
This is really @Kal Rubinson area of expertise. ;)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Sorry to bother once more, but I would like to know if Roon can EQ individual channels separately like YPAO or Audissey ? Each speaker needs a different EQ curve because depending on it’s location in the room it will interact differently with boundaries (SBIR) and room modes.
The answer is yes but Roon is not comparable to either YPAO or Audyssey. Roon has the ability to implement filters and EQs but the user has to do the measurements/calculations with another program. YPAO and Audyssey are built into devices which also support the measurement/calculation operations. This does not make it inferior and, imho, it can be superior. It is just more complex.

The answer is yes but Roon is not comparable to either YPAO or Audyssey. Roon has the ability to implement filters and EQs but the user has to do the measurements/calculations with another program. YPAO and Audyssey are built into devices which also support the measurement/calculation operations. This does not make it inferior and, imho, it can be superior. It is just more complex.

Thanks for clarifying Kal. I agree with your comment. I am still concerned about the CPU power that Roon will need to take care of all this processing for 6 channels? AMD Ryzen 4000 series-based mini-PCs are on short final, should provide a cost-effective and perhaps even more powerful alternative to i7 NUCs :cool:

One of the main limitations of YPAO on my Yamaha AVR is fixed PEQ bands, gains and Qs. Makes it tricky to knock down room modes unless you’re lucky :p

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
AMD Ryzen 4000 series-based mini-PCs are on short final, should provide a cost-effective and perhaps even more powerful alternative to i7 NUCs :cool:
Let us know. Keep in mind that hi-rez and DSP will only make things more stressful.
One of the main limitations of YPAO on my Yamaha AVR is fixed PEQ bands, gains and Qs.
I've only used YPAO once and was not happy with it in comparison to the competition.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
What setup are you currently running for multi-channel music Kal?
I am in between. My i7/7700k is off for a brain transplant and refurbish and I am searching for alternatives. In house (for review) are the PinkFaun 2.16x and the Volumio Prime. Some contrast. More on the horizon.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I am in between. My i7/7700k is off for a brain transplant and refurbish and I am searching for alternatives. In house (for review) are the PinkFaun 2.16x and the Volumio Prime. Some contrast. More on the horizon.

So your source is a computer, but could you tell us about the rest of your setup? Which DAC, amps, speaker setup? Which digitial connection from the computer source to the DAC? Do you also use a BD player? Other sources (turntable?)? Just curious to learn about other ways of doing multichannel :)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
NYC system
DACs: exaSound e38/II (via USB or LAN), Okto DAC8 Pro (via USB
Control: Coleman 7.1SW
Amps: 3 x Benchmark AHB2 (mono) for L/C/R, McCormack DNA1, Rev. A for SL/SR (Also 3 x Classe Sigma Mono for backup)
Speakers: 3 x Revel Studio2 for L/C/R, 2 x Revel f206 for SL/SR, 3 x JLAudio f110/e110 subs
Oppo 105 for ripping via LAN but also playable via Parasound P7, rarely

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought I was the only guy here running 25 yo amps. :D
That McCormack DNA1 looks like a great amp. Never heard of it before before but it is pretty linear in output power. :D Great pics of it on the web.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
That McCormack DNA1 looks like a great amp. Never heard of it before before but it is pretty linear in output power. :D Great pics of it on the web.
Steve McCormack is an excellent designer, I go back to the early 80s with him. I had one of his original passive preamps from a very early company of his called The Mod Squad. In fact I just sold it recently as it was sitting on the shelf doing nothing but I didn't have the heart to sell it till now. Originally started upgrading some then current components and later making his own. The company then morphed into McCormack Audio and in business today as SMc Audio, used to be one of the good guys.
IMG_1566.JPG

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I thought I was the only guy here running 25 yo amps. :D
It just works. I often think of replacing it with another AHB2 because it is smaller and runs cooler but it continues to do the job. Probably the best investment I ever made.

NYC system
DACs: exaSound e38/II (via USB or LAN), Okto DAC8 Pro (via USB
Control: Coleman 7.1SW
Amps: 3 x Benchmark AHB2 (mono) for L/C/R, McCormack DNA1, Rev. A for SL/SR (Also 3 x Classe Sigma Mono for backup)
Speakers: 3 x Revel Studio2 for L/C/R, 2 x Revel f206 for SL/SR, 3 x JLAudio f110/e110 subs
Oppo 105 for ripping via LAN but also playable via Parasound P7, rarely

Thanks for the details! Could you explain how you use the Coleman 7.1SW?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Thanks for the details! Could you explain how you use the Coleman 7.1SW?
Switch among the 2 DACs and the Parasound (and whatever is attached to the Parasound).

I have been thinking about my near-future setup and was wondering how to get the best multichannel music + home theatre experience but keeping for now my old AVR.

For the moment I envision the following:

source 1: network connected NUC running Roon -> HDMI to AVR
source 2: Panasonic DP-UB9000 -> HDMI to LG 4K TV + AVR
AVR: Yamaha DSP-Z7 -> preouts to LCR + SW ; -> SL,SR,SBL,SBR internally amplified
External power amp: monoblock for C speaker
L+R and SW
are active speakers

(bold = already in my possession)

In this configuration I can use Roon for bass management and advanced EQ which means I can switch the AVR to Pure Direct to maximise it’s performance.

Looking at how I could do better, the Okto8 Pro DAC looks interesting. I imagine two different ways of integrating it to the system:

1) NUC -> USB -> Okto8 -> 7.1 DSP-Z7 analog input (pure direct) -> speakers
2) NUC -> USB -> Okto8 -> 8 channel switch -> L+R+SW active speakers / monoblock to C speaker / 7.1 DSP-Z7 analog input for surrounds

solution 1) would be the easiest to implement but I am afraid of limiting the performance gain by going through the AVR even if staying In the analog domain?

solution 2) is more complicated but should unleash maximum performance for the LCR channels. However the surrounds will be limited by the AVR and the volume control gets more complicated as the AVR will have to be set to a fixed volume?

Of course a third solution would be to add a 4 channel external amp for the surrounds and run the AVR in preamp mode only, enabling full switching with the Okto8 and enabling maximum performance ?

On top of these sources I also have an LP turntable which is connected to the AVR and I want to buy a pair of good headphones.

In the future (in about a year or so) I will switch to a modern 3D-Audio AVR or processor (maybe a Denon X-8500H) and add 4 active height speakers.

Any feedback and other suggestions appreciated :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom