• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Motu vs UA Apollo

Merman

I have an apollo twin duo, silverface. So its getting a bit dated now.

I’m looking for a simpler bus powered interface to take on the road, and have read good things about the Motu M4. Even with some claiming conversion is better than the apollos.

Has anyone compared these two? How do you think the conversion compares? Could the Motu actually be an improvement on my older apollo?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I really don't know...
Even with some claiming conversion is better than the apollos.
A lot of "claims"... You'd have to find honest "apples-to-apples" measurements. Usually the A/D and D/A are fine and if there is a difference it's noise in the microphone preamp stage. It's not easy to find comparable measurements for noise either. With USB-powered interfaces, sometimes noise gets into the analog preamp through the power supply so the computer makes a difference (USB power tends to be notoriously noisy).

Or some other characteristic like maximum gain, or higher/lower headphone output, etc.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir has reviewed the Motu M2.

Some measurements of your Apollo.

I rather agree with DVDdoug, mostly these are similar with maybe some differences in the microphone pre EIN and noise levels.

For more money the RME Babyface Pro runs off USB power. It can be a little frustrating with inputs available. Otherwise it works very nicely.

Likely the Motu M2 would work for you.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I had a RME UCX-II which I replaced with an UA VOLT476P and I have zero regrets. The UA VOLT276 is bus powered and it has the same pre amps as the 476P. If you like the Apollo Twin then you are going to like any of the UA VOLTS.

Hemi-Demon

I had a RME UCX-II which I replaced with an UA VOLT476P and I have zero regrets. The UA VOLT276 is bus powered and it has the same pre amps as the 476P. If you like the Apollo Twin then you are going to like any of the UA VOLTS.

Why did you choose the 476P volt series over the Apollo Twin series?

Top Bottom