• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Moondrop problems

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I have a pair of Moodrop Blessing 2 IEMs and the problem I have is that sometimes when I remove them, the ear tip stays in my ear, rather than on the earpiece.

Several of the Moondrop models have this body design where there is no ridge or lip to retain the eartip on the earpiece:

1696891095227.png

Other IEMs have a lip or a taper, to help retain the eartip:

1696891464578.png

1696891548476.png

Has anyone else had similar issues and have you found a solution?

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
FYI. I did not do this to my set. They ended up just being too big for my ears. But I did notice that the tips would slip off. I considered using a light sandpaper to make the landing surface a bit rough to better hold the tips. Light groves if you get my drift. Maybe not the best solution but it could work.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I always have my Gerber multi-tool with me when I leave the house which helps for retrieving them when they do get stuck.

NNOUMNW.jpg

In my ears at least, the reason they slide off is because some sweat and earwax seeped in to lubricate the nozzle. I find that cleaning the nozzle and the middle of the tip with isopropyl alcohol helps it stick better. Sometimes they just get too stretched out and loose and need to be replaced though.

OP
Count Arthur

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I considered using a light sandpaper to make the landing surface a bit rough to better hold the tips. Light groves if you get my drift. Maybe not the best solution but it could work.
I did think that I might be able to use a needle file to create a slight ridge just back from the end of the nozzle, but I'm not sure how neatly I could do it, or how effective it might be:

1696893744483.png

I always have my Gerber multi-tool with me when I leave the house which helps for retrieving them when they do get stuck.
How big are your ears? :oops: :)

I use the tiny tweezers on my pocket knife.
1696894111475.png

OP
Count Arthur

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Just try to wash the tips with soap and water. Get any oil off the nozzles and tips.
I have done that, and it helps, but doesn't completely solve the problem.

mrbungle

The SpinFit CP145 fixed the exact issue for me.

OP
Count Arthur

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Here's what I've done:

IEM1.jpg

IEM2.jpg

I used some coarse sandpaper to rough the nozzles on both and on one I have filed a ridge; I'll try them out for a while and see if there's any improvement and whether the ridge makes any difference.

The SpinFit CP145 fixed the exact issue for me.

I was actually using Spinfit CP155s, which I find very comfortable, but I think they may have stretched a bit and are now too loose. However, they came in a pack of four, so I fitted the unused pair.

1696927435529.png

I'll use the modified IEMs together with the new ear tips for a while, see how I get on and report back.

Last edited:

isostasy

When Etymotic tips reach the end of their life they become very soft and slip off the nozzle easily.

When this has happened to me I put the IEM back in my ear to refit the tip in-situ then used a twisting movement to remove it slowly without the tip coming off. This was much easier than trying to grab it with tweezers. This might not work so well with shallow fit IEMs as the Etymotic tips are already as deep as they can go so no risk of pushing them in any further.

I'm sure a doctor would simply say to not do anything yourself for risk of pushing it in further.

Quite surprised Moondrop IEMs are made this way and never seen it mentioned in a review.

markanini

Major Contributor
I've heared you can revive the grip of silicone tips by submersion into boiling water, only be careful as they will stick to metal surfaces when heated.

But that nozzle lip will probably help al lot.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's what I've done:

View attachment 317888

View attachment 317889

I used some coarse sandpaper to rough the nozzles on both and on one I have filed a ridge; I'll try them out for a while and see if there's any improvement and whether the ridge makes any difference.

I was actually using Spinfit CP155s, which I find very comfortable, but I think they may have stretched a bit and are now too loose. However, they came in a pack of four, so I fitted the unused pair.

View attachment 317892

I'll use the modified IEMs together with the new ear tips for a while, see how I get on and report back.
Same tips I use on my B2 Dusk and S8 . Never had the dreaded tip stuck issue so perhaps there is something about the snugness of individual fit / shape of ear canal that makes it more likely for one user than another. It is a rubbish nozzle design for that and the 155 arent exactly gripping it tightly so maybe I am lucky. FWIW I havent sound a better tip for the Blessings than those. I use the large blue size, found the red medium more prone to losing seal.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Specific model only? The Chu has a ridge at least.
Its just the smooth clear perspex models (B2, B3, S8/A8) that have this tapered smooth (and wide) nozzles that I am aware of. Chu/ Jiu/ Kato/ Starfield have more standard ones with ridges etc of the ones I have used or owned

Not sure about some of the pricier models (Solis, illumination and the like) - the new Dark Saber looks to follow the Blessing style.

I suspect the fact the nozzle narrows as it extends might be posing @Count Arthur the problem- especially as the CP155 tube is a little on the loose side. Assume you are really wedging the tips quite far up the *ahem* shaft Arthur?

mrbungle

Here's what I've done:

View attachment 317888

View attachment 317889

View attachment 317892

The 145 has a 4.5mm diameter (guess that’s part of their model naming). Sits pretty tight, even the cat has trouble now removing it (I can tell when I put it in and it’s soaking wet…).

Blorg

I don't have a problem with Moondrop Blessing 2, Dusk, Variations or A8, all of which use this type of nozzle. It's not an issue if you use tips that are tight enough. I do use CP155 on the OG B2, but they are a larger bore tip and more likely to do it than others; I use Moondrop Spring Tips, Azla Xelastec and Azla Crystal on the others which are much smaller bore tips (4mm or under); they stay on very securely.

I'd agree a lip is nicer but I don't feel it's essential. Moondrop aren't the only ones to not have it, other examples are 64 Audio Trio and U12T, Symphonium Helios, Aful Performer 5 and 8, Simgot EM6L. I don't have an issue with the tips coming off on any of these, but I do find the fit on the EM6L and Helios not great. Conversely, fit on the Afuls is really good.

Top Bottom