• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Moondrop teases Hi-Fi smartphone

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"The Moondrop MIAD 01 is priced at 2499 RMB, which is about $345. That's a lot less than expected and, comically, cheaper than the company's mechanical keyboard."

Wow, the last part is crazy lol.

JSmith

Master Contributor

JSmith

cnxhk

Review and sound samples on Bilibili. Not sure the easiest way to translate.

Ste_S

I'd imagine it's going to be comically underpowered to be able to be used as an everyday phone. Interested in one as purely a DAP, however.

lewdish

Id def wanna see more phone & dap reviews on ASR as well. The next Sony & Asus phones come to mind. Asus used to put ESS Codec chips in their gaming phones idk if they still do. I have a strong suspision given the price ($400) this is just going to be a moondrop moonriver embedded into the phone which would be really nice imo. I hate dongles and I cant stand bringing them around all the time. The design is decent but i suspect a terrible camera.

lewdish

I'd imagine it's going to be comically underpowered to be able to be used as an everyday phone. Interested in one as purely a DAP, however.
I dont think its underpowered but its about avg, the mediatek seems to be on par w/ like a Snapdragon 865 which is fairly old now, but it was still a flagship chip at the time and performs better than what a lot of comapnies still use in their lower end phones and tablets today. Wish they picked something more modern and efficient though.

bumblebee657

What's that strange camera bump on its back? I've never seen something strange like that. I wonder how someone is supposed to make a protective case for it.

Cammy

Also consider this, I doubt they'll sell spare parts. Imagine anything goes wrong with your cheap phone and you gotta ship it to China.

staticV3

Master Contributor
What's that strange camera bump on its back? I've never seen something strange like that. I wonder how someone is supposed to make a protective case for it.
It's the DAC+Amp most likely.

Really not that strange of a camera hump compared to some other Android phones which also have protective cases.

Ste_S

Also consider this, I doubt they'll sell spare parts. Imagine anything goes wrong with your cheap phone and you gotta ship it to China.

That's why I buy audio equipment through places that offer UK (in my case) returns. Amazon for brands like Moondrop.

Cammy

That's why I buy audio equipment through places that offer UK (in my case) returns. Amazon for brands like Moondrop.
I'm talking user damage and consumable parts. Ports, screen, battery, etc

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

It's pretty similar to the camera bar on the Google Pixel 8 and Moondrop need the extra thickness to house the 4.4mm socket.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm talking user damage and consumable parts. Ports, screen, battery, etc

This is no different to the many people who buy Chinese phones directly from AliExpress - often before the model is available in Western markets. It's just a choice; buy now with little or no support, or buy later, with local support and probably pay twice as much.

staticV3

Master Contributor
This is no different to the many people who buy Chinese phones directly from AliExpress - often before the model is available in Western markets. It's just a choice; buy now with little or no support, or buy later, with local support and probably pay twice as much.
50% discount by buying directly from China would be sweet!

It's s usually like 10-20% :confused: Plus you pay import tax so the cost benefit is mostly negated.

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
50% discount by buying directly from China would be sweet!

It's s usually like 10-20% :confused: Plus you pay import tax so the cost benefit is mostly negated.

I have seen deals for Xiaomi and Poco phones where the saving was approaching 50%, but that was a few years ago, and you're right, you do need to factor in tax.

Top Bottom