• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Microtime - what do you think of this article?

BillH

Forum Donor
I think it is snake oil posing as science.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
umm... well...
from that article:
The cylinders had only one groove, hence they had no stereo and no possible representation of space.

To quote the intrepid Apollo XIII astronaut:
Houston, we have a problem

Stereo records only have one groove, too...
:facepalm:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
This is so full of nonsense and factual error that one does not know where to start.
Even starting with the truly whacked-out prose endeavoring to credential Neil Young right at the beginning.

1611283625785.png

Robin L

Master Contributor
World expert at what? Making people deaf, probably most of all himself?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
The time I'm missing is the time to read that rubbish...

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
The Cook stereo records from the mid 1950s were the first attempt at putting stereo on vinyl. It had two grooves. One channel started at the usual place at the outer edge of the disc and the other channel's groove started mid way through the same side. There was a two-head tone arm with two cartridges spaced so that one would play the outer groove and the other the inner groove.

Cook Stereo Record

Last edited:

mansr

Major Contributor
Well, there's this one.
From the ridiculous to the sublime, it was at Abbey Road Studios that the major technical breakthrough was achieved. “We were cutting the album there,” Andre Jacquemin remembers. “Our recording engineer was George Peckham. He had been there for years and had worked on all the Beatles albums. Quite simply, he was the best. Together, we finally succeeded in making two grooves on one side of the record work". The ambitious attempt at running three separate concurrent grooves had defeated them during the making of ‘Monty Python’s Previous Record’, but now Andre had found the solution. “The only way that it could be achieved was by making each groove’s running time slightly shorter. We had to settle with just two grooves but that way they wouldn’t run into each other toward the centre of the record". As a result each groove lasted about eight minutes. Some customers complained that one side of the album was a con, lasting half the length of the other side! To add to the confusion, each side was labeled Side 2. “We were delighted with it”, remembers Terry Jones. “In theory you could play that side four, five, six times and always hit the same groove. Then, one day, you’d play it and it would be something completely different, to coin a phrase!" Michael Palin adds: “We had these visions of stoned fans, of which there were a lot in the early '70s, having the shock of their lives when brand new material was playing on a record they had had for months. Some people thought there was an alternative version because they would hear talk of these mysterious sketches that they had never heard on their record. It drove people mad. This was precisely why we did it, of course".

MrPeabody

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why do people like to come to ASR and post links to sites that make bogus claims? It is a very popular thing to do on ASR. At least in this one particular case the title of the thread wasn't misleading. Often when I see this, the person posting the link and starting the thread will word the thread title in a way that makes it seem that he/she is an advocate for whatever nonsense is found in the linked article. And that gets people's dander up, so lots and lots of people go and read the thing, which is always a waste of time.

At least this time the title of the thread was not annoying. Nevertheless, I don't think that it is appropriate to post links to this kind of stuff on ASR. It amounts to giving people exposure that they don't deserve. Maybe there should be a rule that anytime someone does this, they are obligated to take the position expounded in the article and defend it in a short writeup of their own, and be prepared for the ensuing onslaught. Yeah, I think this would be appropriate. If you post a link to an article like this, you are implicitly asserting that it is scientifically valid and you are going to defend it personally.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Why do people like to come to ASR and post links to sites that make bogus claims?

Because they have questions that they don't know where to go to find the answer?

The responses, if any, tend to reveal whether there is good faith or not.

I agree, there are many who show up to create controversy and basically troll, but let's not assume that everyone who does this has bad intent.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Very much was looking forward to reading that paper but, alas, its can only be accessed by members
The PDF at that site has a synopsis, covers all the important points. The test attempted to make an analog disc from a digital file, then re-digitalize that LP for the DBT. A lot of effort went into the experiment, clicks and pops were digitally removed [always a dead giveaway], levels matched, many of the processes typically used to make the transfer of source to disc easier were skipped, in order to resemble the source as close as possible. Short and skinny: "Results from the listening tests suggest that for our sample population, the digitised vinyl was the least favoured of all the formats." Analog purists will, of course, say: "But digital!" Also [Mikey recently] " . . . there are many great vinyl records digitally sourced that sound better than the file from which it's made just as many records sourced from tape sound better than the tape...."accuracy" is a load of bologna." I'd use a different term aimed in a different direction myself, but it's a loser's game attempting to troll a troll. What I understand is, like it or not, the source for a modern production is digital 99.99% of the time. I do not see how a mastered digital source will sound better after the bass is summed to mono, treble is limited to reduce sibilance, dynamics are limited to fit a fat file into a small groove. Same would apply to music sourced from an analog tape.

What kills me about the "Microtime" article is citing Neil Young as some sort of expert on sound quality. If anyone is going to suffer permanent hearing damage from playing Rock 'n' Roll at volumes past the threshold of pain, it's Shakey. The market failure of Pono points to multiple bad decisions made by this "sensitive, world-acclaimed innovator". "Is that a Toblerone in your pocket . . . ?"

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Well, there's this one.
Yes there was -- not just Monty Python, either.
Pretty sure a few albums pulled this stunt, BITD. :rolleyes:

plus...

In full disclosure...
There was an early, non-compatible stereo record format that did indeed use, umm... two grooves.

http://www.soundfountain.com/cook/cook-livingston-binaural.html

1611331047049.png

1611331094843.png

Because they have questions that they don't know where to go to find the answer?
Just another brutal example of the devastation wrought by the demise of Radio Shack. :rolleyes:

1611331487011.png

1611331466512.png

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Yes there was -- not just Monty Python, either.
Pretty sure a few albums pulled this stunt, BITD. :rolleyes:

plus...

In full disclosure...
There was an early, non-compatible stereo record format that did indeed use, umm... two grooves.

http://www.soundfountain.com/cook/cook-livingston-binaural.html

View attachment 107778
View attachment 107779
"You're the Man I Want To Share My Money With" has three grooves on side four. Also has some of the finest William S. Burroughs on disc:

s-l640.jpg

Top Bottom