• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MFB Isobaric

OP
B

BKr0n

Ok

OP
B

BKr0n

@Berwhale Thanks again for the article. While reading it, I did come across an interesting tidbit.
Even with careful design, a ported enclosure is resonant, yielding sustained, over hanged low frequency notes (resulting in boomy or boxy sound). Adding a floor-standing subwoofer to complement compact studio monitors with a low-end frequency range causes room mode excitation. Sometimes, even with careful placement, subwoofers do not blend well with studio monitors.
According to this, it would mean that I would have to use one OR the other. I guess that begs the question: which method would I get the most out of?

D!sco

which method would I get the most out of?
DSP.

Kill high Q resonances with PEQ and solve phase with active delay. Acknowledge the flaws inherent to rooms, or treat and pray.

OP
B

BKr0n

I am REALLY starting to consider it. I feel like I'm beating myself up with this at this point. I may have to just bite the bullet and pick up a coding book. I'll admit I'm not making it any easier on myself for wanting to do so much in one shot, but it's DIY. I want to make it to MY spec.

OP
B

BKr0n

There should really be a better formal guide to using VCAD as a pure sim tool, though Kimmosto has some very good guides for making driver measurements and using them in VCAD. I don't find this as helpful when determining which drivers to use. I'm gonna give you a quick walkthrough of my data sim workflow, because it isn't as easy as I'd like and took some time to come up with.

My usual workflow in VCAD is to start by setting up a bunch of folders. It's something like this:
<Project Name>
-->Driver Measurements
----><Driver1>
------>(Manufacturer Graph).png
------>(Frequency Response).frd
------>(Impedance).zma
----><Driver2>
...etc.
-->Box Simulations
----><DriverX>
------>(Vented Enclosure)
------>(Sealed Enclosure)
------>(Compact Enclosure)
...etc.
-->Merged Data
----><DriverX>
------>(Merged Measurements and Box Simulations)
...etc.
-->Diffraction Simulations
----><DriverX>
------>(An absolute pile of generated polar data)
...etc.

These folders are ordered top to bottom as the first to last simulation to accomplish.
1) Driver Measurements are done either with a mic or by using the SPL Trace in tools. I would save the FRD and ZMA data in separate folders for each driver.
2) I've already mentioned the Enclosure tool, but the value of the box sim cannot be overstated. You can save and restore different enclosure orders, driver arrangements, whatever. It's the best tool. But it does not replace actually constructing a box and measuring it.
3) In Tools, there is also the Merger. You will want to merge your "Far" driver measurements with your "Near" box sims. Don't forget to include the impedance from the box, as it will affect everything down the line. These should be exported in preparation for the next step. There's a lot of guesswork here, so don't take it too seriously. Any minute details under 500hz won't matter once the sound hits the room anyways.
4) The most important tool after box simulation is the front baffle. In many ways this a more important decision as it geometrically restricts the remainder of your enclosure choices. This also breaks a lot of driver arrangements. I recommend calculating each driver separately, even if they are an "array", like in an MTM or TMWW, as I find it better simulates impedance, cancellations, and diffraction. This tool does not help with waveguides. Those need their own measurements. Remember to place the microphone icon at the center of each driver placement, and select "Full Space" after uploading the merged data. It's also helpful to have a CAD drawing of the baffle for reference/adjustment and the necessary data points for driver size. It will probably be difficult to simulate an isobaric correctly because of this, as they act like one driver.

After that it's all crossover work. Don't forget to space each driver correctly to simulate dispersion. If you do it all right, it should look something like this:
View attachment 320038
So I've been trying to figure out how to add the drivers to the enclosure window, but the + symbol is grayed out for me

Attachments

• Screenshot (210).png
    Screenshot (210).png
    615.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

D!sco

Maybe check your database? It’s never been an issue for me.

OP
B

BKr0n

Got it. Had to make a new database. Next challenge: collecting all the measurements for the drivers with info from the internet because I have no test equipment... why must artists suffer so? :eek:

D!sco

Even if all the sim stuff comes out perfectly, nothing beats a calibrated microphone and a per-driver impedance sweep in-box before buying crossover parts. Unintended resonance and sim inaccuracy might show up, and is an expected part of speaker design. You might go through a few enclosures. Good luck.

Top Bottom