• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

...methinks the new speakers will be OK...

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
???
Elaborate more please, for our elucidation...

OP
Hapo

Hapo

...I have encountered an issue with fatigue and have been struggling to evaluate a few speakers in my price range...everything has to be shipped...

...I keep forgetting that I am trying to decide if the current selection is good enough before their return window expires...

...this seems to indicate that they are indeed good enough although I am sure there are better speakers...

...I don't hear well, but I have trouble getting anything loud enough to enjoy without aggravating an existing condition...I don't know what you would call it, but glass ear might be a good description...

...I failed to protect my hearing in the past and have suffered an accident or two that involved acute hearing loss...

...I believe the "smoothness" of a given speaker will be the most important characteristic for me if I understand the concept of smoothness correctly...

...I was trying to avoid specifics per se so as to focus on "what is good enough" as apposed "what speaker is good enough" as the concept here...

...I understand people here like specifics so I will specify the progression as follows: replaced aging Energy 2.1e with ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0 UB52> Wharfedale Diamond 12.2 > ELAC Carina 243.4...I liked the Uni-Fi 2.0's but they were hurting my ears...their sound spoiled me though...no going back...!!!...LoL...

...the Carina 243.4 speaker appears to be a cheap copy of the ELAC Vela speaker that was designed as an exercise or experiment...

...I tried them because a salesman @ Crutchfield said they would be more revealing but even less fatiguing than the Wharfedale 12.2 and I could not afford the ELAC Vela...

...actually, the Carina would have been beyond my reach except for a huge discount...they are limited by having low efficiency but also not being able to handle too much power...I figgered that would not matter here as I could not play them very loud anyway...

...I have been trying to decide if I should replace these with Polk R200 speakers...those cost a lot less and held up very well to amirm's scrutiny...

...I have been afraid that the Polk "ring tweeter" will not be smooth enough as well as reluctant to give up the $500 off plus free $500 stands @ ELAC Carina but also afraid I might be missing something @ Polk R200 vs ELAC Carina 243.4....they may not be the "bargain" the ELAC package was, but they still cost less and if they sound better too that would be an even better bargain IMHO...

...to get back on point here I keep forgetting that I am evaluating these Carina speakers and just listening to them...

...I hope this was not too much elaboration...

Last edited:
Top Bottom