• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Message to golden-eared audiophiles posting at ASR for the first time...

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dear Golden-Eared Audiophiles, equalization is one of the biggest sonic upgrades that you can make. But if that's unacceptable to you, nothing else around here is likely to make a lot of sense.

righthookmike

And which prompt that response?
I'll reply but I was trying to find out how to not get any notices from this thread anymore. The constant attacks on "audiphile" people and various description of their supposed mindset seems to display the exact type of rigid mindset they are mocking. I'm hoping some kids are just trolling because if these are grown men it's quite embarrassing. despite the faults of some of the other audio forums I've seen at least people seem to want to genuinely help one another. I have experienced that here, but nowhere else have I seen this level of disdain and mockery. I will continue to read Amir's reviews, and I'm grateful for some connections I've made. I all so intend to donate since I want to see Amir continue.I have to say that if this is what constitutes scientific discussions then we have a vastly different definition of the word. VCD

Robin L

Master Contributor
Is your userpicture some kind of colorblindness test? Because if it is, i think i failed. It's just a red circle with a green circle with a yellow dot in it, isn't it?
It is a Sri Yantra, green, gold and purple. I Painted it a few years ago:

118404176_3366835306702036_8732115911654963920_n.jpg

CSG

I came across the OP's post while googling and joined this forum just so I could say, "Amen, brother!" As I've said elsewhere, I'm a music lover, not an audiophile! Most that I've known in real life got tiresome very quickly. The forums are similar. Anyway, glad to have found this place.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I came across the OP's post while googling and joined this forum just so I could say, "Amen, brother!"
Welcome home, son. :)

Reactions: CSG

BluesDaddy

I'll reply but I was trying to find out how to not get any notices from this thread anymore. The constant attacks on "audiphile" people and various description of their supposed mindset seems to display the exact type of rigid mindset they are mocking. I'm hoping some kids are just trolling because if these are grown men it's quite embarrassing. despite the faults of some of the other audio forums I've seen at least people seem to want to genuinely help one another. I have experienced that here, but nowhere else have I seen this level of disdain and mockery. I will continue to read Amir's reviews, and I'm grateful for some connections I've made. I all so intend to donate since I want to see Amir continue.I have to say that if this is what constitutes scientific discussions then we have a vastly different definition of the word. VCD
If you've not seen this level of "disdain and mockery" elsewhere you've lived a sheltered life, or have been part of the audiophool camp that was totally dismissive of objectivist arguments against unwarranted and unsubstantiated cable and electronics claims, that objected to the fact that placebo effect and confirmation bias affects everyone, that automatically banned anyone who brought up DBT and ABX listening tests. Go over to, say, Head-Fi, and play the role of objectivist and see what you get. The "disdain and mockery" here is for people who continue to make unfounded and disproven assertions because, well, they "hear it".

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
despite the faults of some of the other audio forums I've seen at least people seem to want to genuinely help one another. I have experienced that here, but nowhere else have I seen this level of disdain and mockery. I will continue to read Amir's reviews, and I'm grateful for some connections I've made.. VCD

Not defending the people here being mean and mocking, but I have to disagree with your take on other audio forums. I think the reason that you've likely never seen such mockery/disdain on those other forums is that your beliefs(more subjective leaning) better align with the majority opinion of those forums. As a very objective leaning audiophile, this is the only forum I've ever been a member of where I'm not constantly attacked and ridiculed. The vitriol of all those other forums is why I no longer post there. It's just too tiring for me, so I completely understand your frustration with this forum. Truth is, this vitriol exists in all forums, but we simply notice it more when it's targeted at us.

It's kinda like politics. A democrat posting in a republican forum is gonna come away thinking all republicans are super mean and hostile. A republican posting in a democrat forum will have the same experience. Both sides will think the other side is horrible, but the truth is both sides are exactly the same. We're all just humans with different beliefs, and there will always be a subset of any group that attack/ridicule humans with opposing beliefs.

Last edited:

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Never been to Audiogon?

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you've not seen this level of "disdain and mockery" elsewhere you've lived a sheltered life, or have been part of the audiophool camp that was totally dismissive of objectivist arguments against unwarranted and unsubstantiated cable and electronics claims, that objected to the fact that placebo effect and confirmation bias affects everyone, that automatically banned anyone who brought up DBT and ABX listening tests. Go over to, say, Head-Fi, and play the role of objectivist and see what you get. The "disdain and mockery" here is for people who continue to make unfounded and disproven assertions because, well, they "hear it".
Unless you are posting in the Sound Science section, Head-Fi mods will remove any posts that mention blind or ABX testing because they are "off-topic."
1617908851330.png

CSG

Unless you are posting in the Sound Science section, Head-Fi mods will remove any posts that mention blind or ABX testing because they are "off-topic."
View attachment 122812
A great reason to avoid that site. Most of the audiophile forums border on insanity when it comes to moderation when questioning commonly held audiophile beliefs.

BluesDaddy

View attachment 122812
Wasn't like that 15 or so years ago. Head-fi was pretty balanced, provided info and discussion on headphones and avoided much if the audiophoolery. But it slowly stated changing as amp manufacturers started focusing on that market. People would post some ridiculous claim and then asked if they'd done a DBT ABX, which would bring the rats out of the woodwork. So much BS on that site I had to leave and I'd been on 4 or 5 years at the time.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wasn't like that 15 or so years ago. Head-fi was pretty balanced, provided info and discussion on headphones and avoided much if the audiophoolery. But it slowly stated changing as amp manufacturers started focusing on that market. People would post some ridiculous claim and then asked if they'd done a DBT ABX, which would bring the rats out of the woodwork. So much BS on that site I had to leave and I'd been on 4 or 5 years at the time.
Yeah I blame Amir :cool:

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A great reason to avoid that site. Most of the audiophile forums border on insanity when it comes to moderation when questioning commonly held audiophile beliefs.
Head-Fi is good for product announcements and they have a really slick Classifieds section. I pretty much avoid everything else on the site.

CSG

Head-Fi is good for product announcements and they have a really slick Classifieds section. I pretty much avoid everything else on the site.
Mostly, I avoid that site because I'm not at all interested in headphones (but do own a couple pairs).

BluesDaddy

Mostly, I avoid that site because I'm not at all interested in headphones (but do own a couple pairs).
I got into headphones when I had kids in middle and high school and couldn't listen to music as I liked. Plus I had started a new job that would have me travelling a good bit and I wanted a decent portable system. Of course, like all things hi-fi it is a "rabbit hole" that sucks you in. I wound up with 5 fairly expensive (for then) headphones, though I guess you'd have to exclude the Grado SR60s from the "expensive" group, along with a couple of headphone amps. My kids are long grown and out on their own and I've used the phones only sparingly in recent years and the amps not at all.

CSG

When I was younger and living in apartments, I used headphones out of necessity but for the past 26+ years, I've lived in the country where my closest neighbor is half a mile away. I don't use headphones much anymore. I do have a pair of Grado SR-80e and Sony MDR-7506 still but I can't remember the last time I used either. My kids on the other hand (21 and 23) use earbuds and their phones.

David Harper

I think a lot of us wound up here after (in some cases) years of being on audiophile sites and getting so sick of reading preposterous conversations about the sound of wires or electronics that we couldn't stand it anymore. Not to mention the fact that when we dared to post our thoughts about such things on these forums we were responded to with either insults or just plain hatred. I swore off stereophile after reading a review of a $54,000
amplifier in which the reviewer waxes poetic about the sound in such silly and imaginative prose that this review has to be read to be believed.
And when he stated that "the sound quality is commensurate with the price" I had finally had enough. I've not been back to stereophile since. What bothers me about reviews like this is that the idea that someone would buy this amp is truly offensive to me. Normally I don't begrudge what people want to spend their money on. It's their business and who am I to judge?" But there's something about a 54K amp that just drives me nuts.
Considering all of the worthwhile things which one could spend their money on this seems like self-gratification on an obscene scale. Not to mention profoundly stupid. Sorry for the rant. Just my opinion.

Top Bottom