• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mercedes E63 AMG wagon

TankTop

AFAIK back then nobody was importing Toyota into the UK, so it would not have been an option.
I rented a Land Cruiser for a road holiday in Iceland. There are few paved roads or bridges in Iceland so it was ideal. Mind you after 2 weeks my back knew it had taken a battering!
I probably wouldn't choose one for anything I do today but would certainly hire one for any holiday that was mainly on unpaved roads.

Edit:
I misread your original post as Land Rover, not Range Rover.
2 things,
1. Range Rover wasn't available 50 years ago either.
2. There is nothing about a Land Cruiser superior to the Range Rover, other than possibly, longevity.

according to extensive testing in desert environments over the last 19 years the only major factor in mechanical breakdowns is in the Landcruiser’s interactions with the AGM-114.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We, the West, are still light-years ahead in that race... China is the leading in the electric cars sales and didn't withdraw from the Paris Agreement.

Here we go again, yet another attempt to politicize a simple discussion. China produces far more carbon emissions than the US and the EU combined. The US contribution to the global total is less than 14% and declining. And it is doubtful that the MB wagon in question, driven mostly on weekends according to the OP, is going to make a significant difference in his overall contribution to environmental issues versus driving a Prius under the same conditions. It seems like it all depends on the level of financial risk due to repairs he's willing to assume. I also suspect, given this is a large, heavy wagon, that he's not planning to take it to the track and stress the engine, transmission, or chassis much.

I don't understand why we can't stick to the OP's question.

TankTop

Here we go again, yet another attempt to politicize a simple discussion. China produces far more carbon emissions than the US and the EU combined. The US contribution to the global total is less than 14% and declining. And it is doubtful that the MB wagon in question, driven mostly on weekends according to the OP, is going to make a significant difference in his overall contribution to environmental issues versus driving a Prius under the same conditions. It seems like it all depends on the level of financial risk due to repairs he's willing to assume. I also suspect, given this is a large, heavy wagon, that he's not planning to take it to the track and stress the engine, transmission, or chassis much.

Driving a gas guzzler oil leaking from every gasket Mercedes at 120 MPH has a far lower carbon impact than manufacturing a new EV.

Back on topic, the 13 year old AMG will cost more to maintain than buy.

TankTop

Depends how often I drive it.

What’s the mileage and what country are you in?

Never mind, I just checked, NY.

Your new best friend pelicanparts.com

Before you buy have an inspection done at Mercedes, check the alignment, if it’s not correctable you may need new control arms and trailing arms. Change all the fluids, do not ever let someone do a transmission flush, only drain and fill. Flush radiator, brakes and power steering. Again do not ever flush a transmission, drain and fill. Change every filter the car has.

I wish you the bast!!

Last edited:

TankTop

I’ll leave it at this, that car was made to be driven. Babying it and only driving it on weekends is like saving your wife for the next guy.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I don't drive to work, as mentioned above. There are billionaires who ride the train into NYC....

So, if you ride the train into Manhattan you will become a billionaire, right?

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL Go buy that goofy wagon, it's your money.

Goofy? Coming from a man who drives a late model Camaro? (Or am I mistaken?) A large, heavy, gas-guzzling two-seater masquerading as a four-seater. I had one as a rental car last year. I made the mistake of putting my soft and relatively thin briefcase with my $3000 Mac laptop behind the driver's seat as I usually do when I entered the car. Then I adjusted the seat for comfort, only to be horrified when the briefcase was smushed against the rear seat. And I'm only 5'10" with short legs. Fortunately, the aluminum case of the Mac prevented any damage, but that incident probably took a few weeks off my life. I needed the Mac for a business meeting. I will say this though, that Camaro, a base model no less, handled very well, certainly better than a BMW 3-series I drove recently. I get the attraction. Even the turbo 4 exceeded expectations, and the car looked good in yellow. (I'm guessing you have the SS.) But calling the MB goofy when you drive a really impractical 188" long effective two-seater with a tiny trunk does feel a little bit like throwing stones in glass houses, and all that rot.

Now, Ron, are you going tell me I'm being mean? :rolleyes:

tuga

Major Contributor
Someone who doesn't care about hifi (the same way you don't seem to care about having a fun car) could just as easily tell you to suck it up and use the earbuds that came with your phone.

When no single individual has any measurable impact on the planet there's nowhere to draw a line. That's why the tragedy of the commons is a tragedy.

Trying to shame people over their hobbies is likely to be counterproductive.

Look up the emission levels... Hi-fi can work on clean energy, doesn't leave rubber on the tarmac nor does it turn brake pads into dust.

I am not saying don't buy a car if you need one, just buy one that is more energy efficient. If you can afford a high-end Mercedes surely you can afford a more modern clean car.

tuga

Major Contributor

Which was: I would be most grateful for any views on whether this would be a stupid purchase.

I see no request for supportive opinions only... And the OP has children.

TankTop

The ignore button beckons.

I’ve giving you an expert professional opinion based on decades of experience in the automotive industry.

The E63 is a great car and I hope you buy it. It will cost a lot to maintain and driving it less wont help. It was engineered to operate at a higher level than most cars and do it regularly. Driving it less often will likely cost you more.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not saying don't buy a car if you need one, just buy one that is more energy efficient. If you can afford a high-end Mercedes surely you can afford a more modern clean car.

You're missing the point about "fun"...

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Goofy? Coming from a man who drives a late model Camaro? (Or am I mistaken?) A large, heavy, gas-guzzling two-seater masquerading as a four-seater. I had one as a rental car last year. I made the mistake of putting my soft and relatively thin briefcase with my $3000 Mac laptop behind the driver's seat as I usually do when I entered the car. Then I adjusted the seat for comfort, only to be horrified when the briefcase was smushed against the rear seat. And I'm only 5'10" with short legs. Fortunately, the aluminum case of the Mac prevented any damage, but that incident probably took a few weeks off my life. I needed the Mac for a business meeting. I will say this though, that Camaro, a base model no less, handled very well, certainly better than a BMW 3-series I drove recently. I get the attraction. Even the turbo 4 exceeded expectations, and the car looked good in yellow. (I'm guessing you have the SS.) But calling the MB goofy when you drive a really impractical 188" long effective two-seater with a tiny trunk does feel a little bit like throwing stones in glass houses, and all that rot.

Now, Ron, are you going tell me I'm being mean? :rolleyes:

You are trolling me, annoying, off topic and disproportionate. Lately I am getting a lot of disproportionate replies. The Camaro SS is a great car. You sound jealous to me.

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is true and there never will be a time when the less advantaged people will not have the ambition to have a more comfortable, convenient life so I think it is pie in the sky to imagine controlling emissions however vital it may or may not be for the survival of our species (it isn't the planet we need to save, it will be fine, it is ourselves..).

I think we will have to rely on mother nature. She will find a way, even if it is more pandemics.

At some point a BEV will be cheaper, more comfortable, and more convenient than any IC vehicle. And that is not too far in the future either.

And BTW, a BEV will be far superior at altitude. A Taycan is already faster than nearly all IC cars.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
At some point a BEV will be cheaper, more comfortable, and more convenient than any IC vehicle. And that is not too far in the future either.

And BTW, a BEV will be far superior at altitude. A Taycan is already faster than nearly all IC cars.
Electric cars have super acceleration because of the huge stall torque of electric motors.
Sadly, they are inevitably heavy so a lot of aspects of their performance is still lacking.
My plug-in hybrid is light and uses far less electricity than any of the EVs I looked at.
The Taycan is too big to park anywhere I go, as was the Panamera plug-in I also looked at.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Dialectic about two years ago I went through a similar decision process on a 2013 SL63 AMG. My wife adores those cars, and a 30K mile, original senior citizen owner car came on the market, for sale by the owner in Newport Beach. I looked at it, and I thought I was looking at a new car. All dealer serviced. The owner mentioned, apologetically, that it was in the rain a few times since he bought it five years before. I spent some time talking to one of the dealer's service writers about prices for maintenance and standard replacement stuff, like brake pads and rotors. Brake pads and rotors front and rear with MB parts was in the range of $3000, just to give you an example. An HID headlight replacement assembly was around $2000. Catalytic converters were about $5000. Fluid changes weren't bad, but anything that broke and needed replacement was pricey. My insurance company didn't care for collision or comprehensive on the car either, and the quotes were ridiculous. Have you talked to your insurance company yet? In the end my frugality overcame my desire to make points with my wife and I walked away, but I understand the impulse. (If the car was for me and not her, and the SL wasn't so huge and impractical, I might have just swallowed the risk and bought it.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom