• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mercedes E63 AMG wagon

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am in need of a practical car that I would enjoy driving. I'm thinking of buying this 2007 E63 AMG station wagon:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2007-mercedes-benz-e63-amg-wagon-2/

The practicality and the 507 hp from a naturally aspirated engine have great appeal. I'm ideologically opposed to turbos. Yes, I am aware of the guy who got a $57K repair estimate for his R63 AMG minivan (same engine) after a failure related to engine headbolts.

I do not intend to drive the car every day. It would be more for weekend errands.

I would be most grateful for any views on whether this would be a stupid purchase.

Last edited:

QMuse

Major Contributor
If maintained properly that engine should be good for 350K miles without any serious repairs. Price seems very reasonable to me but I would in every case have it checked by certified Mercedes mechanic before buying it.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I now have a child and am in need of a practical car to complement my wife's Lexus SUV, which I hate to drive. I'm thinking of buying this 2007 E63 AMG station wagon:

The practicality and the 507 hp from a naturally aspirated engine have great appeal. I'm ideologically opposed to turbos. Yes, I am aware of the guy who got a $57K repair estimate for his R63 AMG minivan (same engine) after a failure related to engine headbolts.

I do not intend to drive the car every day. It would be more for weekend errands and runs down Westchester County backroads.

I would be most grateful for any views on whether this would be a stupid purchase.
It's a stupid purchase, it's over John just accept it and buy a sensible station wagon.

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If maintained properly that engine should be good for 350K miles without any serious repairs. Price seems very reasonable to me but I would in every case have it checked by certified Mercedes mechanic before buying it.
As it's an online auction, that's going to be difficult. I may have to roll the dice.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I now have a child and am in need of a practical car to complement my wife's Lexus SUV, which I hate to drive. I'm thinking of buying this 2007 E63 AMG station wagon:

I do not intend to drive the car every day. It would be more for weekend errands and runs down Westchester County backroads.

I don't think that would be stupid at all...that's a great family wagon. I'm a big believer in NA V8's, and that beast will put a smile on your face when you want it to.

Price should be in the reasonable range, maintenance will be slightly unreasonable, but that's to be expected...it isn't a Camry.

Great car...do it.

QMuse

Major Contributor
As it's an online auction, that's going to be difficult. I may have to roll the dice.

I asked a family friend knowledgeable about German cars whether I should do it, and he said this "burnout wagon" was definitely worth in the low $20s. When my wife joined the conversation, he just said the car was "very safe."

It's weakest point is automatic transmission, it has to be maintained carefully. And yes, it is fast as hell and has a wonderfull engine sound. ;)

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Keep your powder dry until the midlife crisis and divorce..
I probably don't give enough of a fuck ever to have a midlife crisis...

And everything I've done up to this point that resembled a midlife crisis activity ended up impressing only middle-aged men.

QMuse

Major Contributor
And everything I've done up to this point that resembled a midlife crisis activity ended up impressing only middle-aged men.

That makes sense as it is much harder to impress middle-aged men than young women. :D

Willem

Major Contributor
My view is that cars are a waste of money. I recently bought a 21 year old Peugeot 406 2 litre automatic. Only 60k miles and dirt cheap. It is a comfortable long distance cruiser to drive to the Med and that is all I need. I spent my money on a gorgeous piece of modern architecture in an upmarket leafy area instead. That would be my recommendation. Also we only have one car and use bicycles around town. For years I did not have even one car (I know life in parts of the US is different).

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Friends of mine who enjoy higher-end vehicles are either okay with spending a few thousand here or there for service (and the last time I checked, parts and labor do not depreciate along with the value of the car) else they regard all such purchases as temporary, to be enjoyed until larger expenses loom on the horizon. The happiest are the ones who don't sweat the small-to-middling stuff not working 100%.

Top Bottom