• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MEIZU Hifi Pro USB-C Phone Dongle DAC Review

elemkay3

sorry if I'm offkey here, I can't seem to find the beginning of this convo - but, I have HD25's with Meizu Hifi non-Pro and around 80% volume is where it becomes too loud for me. The Pro will absolutely get the job done. If you're not in a rush, common consensus in the E1DA 9038D will probably be the clear winner but no ETA yet and with the Corona-drama we can expect it to be delayed even further.

Edit: additionally, subjectively the Meizu non-Pro sounds better than the Heidisz S8/Sonata Pro with the HD25. Not sure if I just like distortion or if the Meizu's perform better under load than the S8/Sonata as ivdx and some others have posited

Thanks for the info. I was just looking to see if it could crank out some extra volume compared to headphone ports on laptops, as well as the improved fidelity.

Had a look and it seems to be the real deal. [Edit: non-Pro Meizu is off the table] Considering the 9038S is £63 and the Meizu Pro £30 that becomes a tougher choice. If "approaching endgame" sound quality is only £67 as one review describes it, perhaps it's worth investing in the 9038S.

I have to return the used HD25s I got, as one ear has a lower volume. Thinking of exchanging for something else like Beyerdynamic DT1350 or Koss SP330/Pro4S. What's your take on the HD25s - best reasonably portable over-ear cans you've found as of yet?

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thanks for the info. I was just looking to see if it could crank out some extra volume compared to headphone ports on laptops, as well as the improved fidelity.

Had a look and it seems to be the real deal, but I just wouldn't want to be using my phone for the EQing as I keep wireless radios switched off as much as possible. Sucks because I would love the software functionality available on PC to use. So considering the 9038 is £67 and the Meizu £18 I think it would be the better fit for me. I am right in thinking the non-Pro version essentially has the same specs ?
The non Pro has the same power at 300ohm, but at 33ohm it only has a little over 50% of the Pro's power.
The non Pro also cannot be used with UAPP bit perfect because of a bug resulting in frequent stutters.

elemkay3

The non Pro has the same power at 300ohm, but at 33ohm it only has a little over 50% of the Pro's power.
The non Pro also cannot be used with UAPP bit perfect because of a bug resulting in frequent stutters.

Oh wow, thanks. I got the thing about UAPP which wouldn't bother me, but 50% power reduction is massive considering I was looking for a boost with my 32ohm cans. The Pro version is £30 which makes it a tougher choice vs 9038S. May spend the extra just so I never have to think about it again!

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have to return the used HD25s I got, as one ear has a lower volume. Thinking of exchanging for something else like Beyerdynamic DT1350 or Koss SP330/Pro4S. What's your take on the HD25s - best reasonably portable over-ear cans you've found as of yet?

They're not really my favorite, but they are built to last no doubt. Unfortunately a byproduct of that design is you can't replace the cables, so no 9038S in our future. I got them for my wife after she killed off a set 2 sets of W40's and a pair of SE535's with her 2 hour gym routine (sweat/moisture) but the HD25 is still running strong.

They seem quite bright to me, but I'm not a prolific headphone researcher like many here so it's probable my frame of reference is skewed given I only use IEMs. What did you go with in the end?

PaulD

Unfortunately a byproduct of that design is you can't replace the cables, ...
I am not sure if the HD25s is the same as the HD25, but I have used the HD25 on location work for over 20 years, and replaced both the cables and ear pads on a few pairs over the years. The several pairs I have are all working fine with many things replaced. Probably not hifi earphones, more for pro use.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not sure if the HD25s is the same as the HD25, but I have used the HD25 on location work for over 20 years, and replaced both the cables and ear pads on a few pairs over the years. The several pairs I have are all working fine with many things replaced. Probably not hifi earphones, more for pro use.

Interesting - they must be different, unless you disassembled the headband? I don't have them handy for a pic but the cable runs inside the plastic headband on mine

PaulD

Interesting - they must be different, unless you disassembled the headband? I don't have them handy for a pic but the cable runs inside the plastic headband on mine
My HD25 phones have the split headband, and the cable runs along the edge of one of the headbands. They are a staple of pro broadcast work, literally 10s of thousands are in use around the world. They need spares and to be repairable. I even had a pair repaired in rural India once on location I can post a pic, but do not want to detail this thread...!

elemkay3

There are 3 or 4 different HD25 designs from what I can tell, slight differences including the HD25-1 II which has the split headband (the faulty one I have now). I haven't decided what to order yet, but I will probably order a few and generously use the returns service to find a winning pair. Can message you my opinions if you're curious about upgrading yourself.

And whoever came up with the name HD25-1 II needs a good spanking.

keepit100

Hi, For my PC desktop, my setup is

Sennhesier Momentum
https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/momentum-m2

And I use my old Hidizs AP60 II player as a USB DAC

https://www.hidizs.net/products/ap60

Headphone out specifications (3.5mm headphone out jack)
Output Power
70mW @ 32Ω

SNR
>109dB

Output impedance
0.1 ohm

Frequency response
20-20kHz

Channel separation
106dB (1 kHz)

Dynamic range
>105dB

My concern is that the (fixed) battery of AP60II will wear out quicker. I use the AP60II plugged in permanently to my PC.

I think I would be better off with a USB DAC such as the ones mentioned here for my desktop. I do however like the sound and volume output of my current setup.

Any idea if any of the dacs in this thread would provide a similar sound (and volume/'loudness')

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi, For my PC desktop, my setup is

Sennhesier Momentum
https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/momentum-m2

And I use my old Hidizs AP60 II player as a USB DAC

https://www.hidizs.net/products/ap60

Headphone out specifications (3.5mm headphone out jack)
Output Power
70mW @ 32Ω

SNR
>109dB

Output impedance
0.1 ohm

Frequency response
20-20kHz

Channel separation
106dB (1 kHz)

Dynamic range
>105dB

My concern is that the (fixed) battery of AP60II will wear out quicker. I use the AP60II plugged in permanently to my PC.

I think I would be better off with a USB DAC such as the ones mentioned here for my desktop. I do however like the sound and volume output of my current setup.

Any idea if any of the dacs in this thread would provide a similar sound (and volume/'loudness')
The Meizu Pro is more powerful at 32ohm than your AP60II. The Hidizs does 70mW while it manages 87mW.
While the Meizu sounds very natural (and in that regard better than the Hidizs S8), its soundstage is a bit narrow.
The best thumb drive DAC at the moment is the 9038S, which not only fixes the soundstage but also adds a lot of detail/resolution on top. The 9038S can only be used with balanced headphones/IEMs and the newest version (G3) is currently being tested and should be released in a few weeks. There is also a 3.5mm version in the works (9038D) for use with normal headphones, but it will take a few months to be finalized.
The S will cost $80-85, the D will probably cost $95-100.

Last edited:
I own the Meizu Hifi Pro and it suffers from an issue with interference over cellular connection. It is fine, and sounds great over wifi, but this issue makes it useless for being out and about. I'm unable to figure out (because Meizu won't answer my emails) if this is a faulty unit, or if all of these Meizu pro dongles have this issue. Can anyone confirm either way?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I own the Meizu Hifi Pro and it suffers from an issue with interference over cellular connection. It is fine, and sounds great over wifi, but this issue makes it useless for being out and about. I'm unable to figure out (because Meizu won't answer my emails) if this is a faulty unit, or if all of these Meizu pro dongles have this issue. Can anyone confirm either way?

I get good 4g reception here in the UK. No issues. But if I go into my local shop and signal drops to E(dge), I get the beeps and buzzes through headphones. So suspect the scale of the issue depends on your local mobile phone and network circumstances.

amanieux

I get good 4g reception here in the UK. No issues. But if I go into my local shop and signal drops to E(dge), I get the beeps and buzzes through headphones. So suspect the scale of the issue depends on your local mobile phone and network circumstances.
do you get the buzzes with 2g network (in android you can force 2g,3g or4g) when you plug your headphones straight in the phone jack plug (meizu dac unpluged) to check is buzz is coming from meizu dac or from headphone cable. thanks

amanieux

looks like a faulty unit because a dongle dac is designed for mobile use (so with cellular connexion) there are photos of teardown showing metal shielding : https://hifigo.com/blogs/review/meizu-hifi-pro-dac-amplifier-teardown-hifigo

staticV3

Master Contributor
It's probably not faulty. EMI with the Meizu Pro has been reported by a lot of users, myself included.
The issue is that when cellular reception is low or when your phone is switching cell tower, it will switch to a high powered 700MHz signal, which can easily make its way into circuits and cables.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Oh and shielding around the PCB and chips is one thing but unless you properly filter the outputs, EMI can easily reach your drivers through the meter-long, "basically antennas", unshielded copper wires between your Amp and your IEMs.

Last edited:

amanieux

It's probably not faulty. EMI with the Meizu Pro has been reported by a lot of users, myself included.
The issue is that when cellular reception is low or when your phone is switching cell tower, it will switch to a high powered 700MHz signal, which can easily make its way into circuits and cables.
are all dac dongles affected or just poorly designed ones such as the meizu hifi ? iam no expert but the meizu hifi pro is recommended by a lot of users, did they all oversaw this deal breaker issue ? are meizu engineers so careless ? it does not make much sense as meizu also develop iem and smartphones. if it only happens in the highly uncommon situation of low signal 2g reception, can it be a design comprise they knowingly made ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom