• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC and Headphone Amp

nscrivener

Take some pictures :] ease my wait for delivery of my unit.

WhatsApp Image 2019-05-21 at 7.03.26 PM.jpeg

rickyhgarcia

Can the RCA and XLR outputs be used simultaneously? Actually not really operating simultaneously, but both connected simultaneously. I have a stereo system and a home theater system in the same room. So I would like to connect the RCA outputs to my Audio Research stereo preamp, and the XLR outputs to my Marantz 8805 Processor. Would this be true of other DACs that include both RCA and XLR outputs?

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can the RCA and XLR outputs be used simultaneously? Actually not really operating simultaneously, but both connected simultaneously. I have a stereo system and a home theater system in the same room. So I would like to connect the RCA outputs to my Audio Research stereo preamp, and the XLR outputs to my Marantz 8805 Processor. Would this be true of other DACs that include both RCA and XLR outputs?

I believe they can both be used at the same time but are not switchable i.e. the signal is present and identical on both outputs with the XLR being 6db higher than the RCA. A couple people from the RME forum have been successfully using the XLR out to power amps and the RCAs out to subwoofers (using subwoofer built in XO's)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
I just updated it with the latest version.
Cool, thanks. Don't know why, but been putting serious thought into purchasing one of these to see how the amp compares with the ones I have, would love to shrink the amount of space used by my rigs, but not lose any quality doing so.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can the built in amp drive K701 ?
Of course, it drives my K712 to unlistenable levels (until - 10db in High Power) without distortion from the amp. Don't be fooled by the fact this is an all-in-one unit. The amp is far more powerful than many stand alone headamps on the market!:)

Bomba776

Of course, it drives my K712 to unlistenable levels (until - 10db in High Power) without distortion from the amp. Don't be fooled by the fact this is an all-in-one unit. The amp is far more powerful than many stand alone headamps on the market!:)

Cool thanks. This will be my first serious dac.

McFly

I love my ADI-2 DAC, and if they do an anniversary or updated edition, I will be first in line.

mentalist

I'm thoroughly enjoying it. And really all I've done so far is plug it in and start listening. Hardly even looked at the settings yet. Never been much of an audiophile. Maybe until now. Been using it with my also new Focal Elex headphones.

Last edited:

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
And I just broke down and purchased one, should be here Thursday. So keep an eye out in the for sale thread, might be posting some stuff, lol.

Damian

@amirm great review as usual. Is this the best DAC/Amp combo for headphones that can be had for 1000 USD or less? I do like the display, how it looks and functionality in general. I'm looking for a big upgrade from my Dacport LX, Burson 160AD and Dragonfly Red. The topping DX3 Pro is not my cup of tea especially having only 3.5mm headphone output.

Top Bottom