• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC and Headphone Amp

Gus141

Sweetwater and B&H photo have the ADI-2 Pro model on sale for $1499 (USD); $500 off! Maybe this is an indication that the Pro model is getting an update too. But for only $400 more than an ADI-2 DAC, I would have to really consider buying a Pro over the DAC if I didn’t already own the DAC. I do love the remote functionality using my Harmony Elite to control the DAC, but maybe the next verion of the ADI-2 Pro will support a remote.

Sedyn

Forum Donor
So, first thing first. I have never had a DAC of this caliber before.

Initial impression after spending 2 minutes setting it up(I'll tweak more in time) plugging my Focal Elex into it.

Mind blowing. Literal goose bumps. I have never heard anything in the comfort of my home with a reproduction quality like this.

I want to listen to 2000+ songs and see what they really sound like now. Worth every penny.

Last edited:

bequietjk

The Pro is wicked. Guarantee I wouldn't need my Cloud preamp if I had that thing.

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Anyone know a place to buy the v2? Even from europe?

Or is waiting for a US seller better.

Sedyn

Forum Donor
Anyone know a place to buy the v2? Even from europe?

Or is waiting for a US seller better.

I got mine from the vendor listed in the review (in Europe), and it was a flawless transaction. Very affordable price (844 Euro) to my door. They included both the EU and US power cords as well, maybe usefull if I wanted to resell it, but a nice touch regardless.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
20191128_183542.jpg

Welcome back...:cool:

Last edited:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Alright,

Wanna hear some thoughts? I really love the new remote. Much nicer feeling in hands. Lot of settings and, I'm 100% sure it is more responsive and has a wider angle range than the previous one. Before, I had to point it precisely towards the DAC, not anymore.:)

20191129_011227.jpg

The new Low Dispersion filter, from the AK4493 chip, is available:

20191129_011427.jpg

Strangely, the unit came with firmware 32, (not 33). As usual, update is a matter of few seconds!

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with the sound quality: I do feel an extremely precise imaging, a wide and accurate soundstage, a very realistic and uncolored sound signature, a mind-blowing dynamic range, no artificial harshness to speak of, no noise... blablabla... and any superlatives you wonder! All with flawless operation, but... Wait... Are these just everything the original ADI-2 DAC already had, in fact?! o_O

For those who already own it, no need for "upgrading", really. Don't do the same I did and save your money. Just order that fucking remote and be happy forever!. :cool:

Last edited:

Bliman

Alright,

Wanna hear some thoughts? I really love the new remote. Much nicer feeling in hands. Lot of settings and, I'm 100% sure it is more responsive and has a wider angle range than the previous one. Before, I had to point it precisely towards the DAC, not anymore.:)

View attachment 40678

The new Low Dispersion filter, from the AK4493 chip, is available:

View attachment 40679

Strangely, the unit came with firmware 32, (not 33). As update, update is a matter of few seconds!

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with the sound quality: I do feel an extremely precise image, a wide and accurate soundstage, a very realistic and uncolored sound signature, a mind-blowing dynamic range, no artificial harshness to speak of, no noise... blablabla... and any superlatives you wonder! All with flawless operation, but... Wait... Are these just everything the original ADI-2 DAC already had, in fact?! o_O

For those who already own it, no need for "upgrading", really. Don't do the same I did and save your money. Just order that fucking remote and be happy forever!. :cool:
Yeah don't be so weak as him. Just kidding by the way. Enjoy it. Hope your upgrade hunger is stilted for a little time now. As fas as dacs go.

CMB

I was actually looking forward for these thoughts of v1 against v2. Thank you Vintage. I can see that it must have hold you awake a good part of the night, which might be a good sign . And, I also can observe that I was not the only one waiting for your thoughts . (Observations being a part of scientific process).

So we need to Update to 33 ? I already wondered. Thank you for the confirmation.

CMB

@ Bliman
Hello, have you tried the NOS filter?

Bliman

@ Bliman
Hello, have you tried the NOS filter?
I have listened to music but less loud the last days. And my fears has subdued a bit. My microphone has arrived. So I will try to measure tomorrow.
For your question. I have settled on Slow. I tried NOS a little but to be honest it is very difficult to hear differences to be honest.
Slow looks the one for me. The most perfect I have read but with lots of treble roll-off. But because for me the perception in the beginning that there was to much treble. So I left it on slow. And it looks the right one for me.

Veri

Master Contributor
I have listened to music but less loud the last days. And my fears has subdued a bit. My microphone has arrived. So I will try to measure tomorrow.
For your question. I have settled on Slow. I tried NOS a little but to be honest it is very difficult to hear differences to be honest.
Slow looks the one for me. The most perfect I have read but with lots of treble roll-off. But because for me the perception in the beginning that there was to much treble. So I left it on slow. And it looks the right one for me.
It's less than 1dB roll-off lol. Define "lots" ;)

Sedyn

Forum Donor
Is there a thread for people to share what settings they are using?

I’m not sure if there is a standard way to determine the best settings to use for what application.

Or is it all trial and error?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m not sure if there is a standard way to determine the best settings to use for what application.

My two cents:

Objectively, best setting for all uses should be absolute transparency. Meaning: SD Sharp filter, all EQ and DSP settings off.

All others settings are here to satisfy personal preferences, for individual scenarios. And they're welcome that way. ;)

Bliman

It's less than 1dB roll-off lol. Define "lots" ;)
Yeah I know. I can't hear the difference. But it was considered perfect in other ways (It is in the manual). But I know some would freak out with such a roll-off. Not for me. It counters my bias of hearing a hot treble a bit :) .

Top Bottom