• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements and Review of Schiit Yggdrasil DAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacona

Time to put on my tin-foil hat
"flatulate. Verb. (third-person singular simple present flatulates, present participle flatulating, simple past and past participle flatulated) To emit digestive gases from the ****, especially with accompanying sound."

And where do you flatulate? Your rear end
Do you know what also comes out your rear end? Shit
And what company decided to name themselves by making a pun off a certain word?
o_O

But seriously those are some insane claims to make about the capabilities of those DAC.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
But seriously those are some insane claims to make about the capabilities of those DAC.
Even more remarkable is that he is a member of AES and he should know that what he says is completely opposed by Audio Engineering Society at large. And just pure non-scientific rubbish.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Wow. I wish I had seen that post prior to the talk he gave out our local AES meeting:

View attachment 13249

I was wondering why he always praises them in measurements no matter how bad. What he says is complete nonsense.

Thanks for finding that post.
Have you ever listened, in order to try and hear what others are claiming regarding S-D vs multi-bit DACs?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Have you ever listened, in order to try and hear what others are claiming regarding S-D vs multi-bit DACs?
I have. But there is no there there. And certainly none of the word salad that Bob invented there.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So we must live in an audio gulag, dark and devoid of color? This is what we must strive for.

Do you cook, or better yet, do you eat? Does everything you eat meet this level of true fidelity, devoid of seasoning?

Hearing is a sense, so is taste, why should they be different? Why should we sacrifice pleasure?
How is this fidelity (being faithful) to humanity? Why does this noble quest for fidelity seem more like a crusade?
Now you are confusing the reproduction of a recording with the production of that recording.
To correct your analogy, would you go to a top class restaurant and then plaster the fabulous dish (recording) with ketchup, salt and pepper (couloured hifi)?

Wombat

Master Contributor
Now you are confusing the reproduction of a recording with the production of that recording.
To correct your analogy, would you go to a top class restaurant and then plaster the fabulous dish (recording) with ketchup, salt and pepper (couloured hifi)?

There are those who do just that, as in the audio world. It reminds me of the temperance Bloody Mary that has no Vodka in it - known as a Crying Shame.

Avoid analogies if possible. ;) They often tend to show that the explainer is struggling to explain something technical just as much as trying to convey an idea to someone who lacks a basic technical understanding of a matter. They do tend to produce column inches of go-round with different interpretations. Good forum fodder, though.

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Avoid analogies. They often tend to show that the explainer is struggling to explain something technical just as much as trying to convey an idea to someone who lacks a basic technical understanding of a matter.
No.
Jesus used analogies, they call them parables.
It is a most effective way of explaning things outside their expertise to somebody.
I could not disagree with you more strongly, actually.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Avoid analogies if possible. They often tend to show that the explainer is struggling to explain something technical just as much as trying to convey an idea to someone who lacks a basic technical understanding of a matter. They do tend to produce column inches of go-round with different interpretations. Good forum fodder, though.
Do you have children? Have you ever taught? How do you convey your knowledge to others?

Wombat

Master Contributor
I said avoid, not never use, and the context was related to technical matters and adults. I taught my son Ohm's Law using simple electrical theory rather than the tap and hose theory. Analogies are useful to some in trying to explain mystical arts. I try to avoid them.

OK. IMHO.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have children? Have you ever taught? How do you convey your knowledge to others?
I've taught some slightly technical subjects to non-technical people.

I learned very early and clearly to avoid analogies if at all possible. It is not always possible.

I found people learning via analogy would apply the new knowledge in unpredictable and incorrect ways to slightly novel problems. Or in time dream up their own multi-layered understanding based upon not quite really understanding the matter. Often being ingenious in this though still wrong.

So work hard to avoid analogy. If you have to use one, work very hard to go from that analogy to testing or example to make sure the student gets the analogy the way you intended it and not some variant to lead themselves astray. A co-instructor had a gift for making homework problems if he used analogy to teach something. It would make sure you obtained the correct picture in your head beyond simply the analogy. He also had a very strict policy for his classes. If you didn't do the homework, you got one second chance, and then got kicked out. That is because some of what we were teaching had to be via analogy because it was foreign to the students we had. If you left someone in class not doing homework, they would continue further down the road to cause trouble and waste class time because they never worked past the initial analogy instruction. We were very time limited so this was too much to allow.

EDIT to add: Some people have a gift for using analogies that not only instruct, but provide insight with little effort on the student's part. I'm usually not among those people.

Wombat

Master Contributor
No.
Jesus used analogies, they call them parables.
It is a most effective way of explaning things outside their expertise to somebody.
I could not disagree with you more strongly, actually.

I found religious parables to be hollow from an early age. I went through years of religious 'learning/instruction' Very disappointed that that was the best that they could do.
So, we differ.

I replied in context, here, but would rather confine belief systems to audio.

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor

I learned very early and clearly to avoid analogies if at all possible. It is not always possible.

I found people learning via analogy would apply the new knowledge in unpredictable and incorrect ways to slightly novel problems. Or in time dream up their own multi-layered understanding based upon not quite really understanding the matter. Often being ingenious in this though still wrong.

So work hard to avoid analogy. If you have to use one, work very hard to go from that analogy to testing or example to make sure the student gets the analogy the way you intended it and not some variant to lead themselves astray. A co-instructor had a gift for making homework problems if he used analogy to teach something. It would make sure you obtained the correct picture in your head beyond simply the analogy. He also had a very strict policy for his classes. If you didn't do the homework, you got one second chance, and then got kicked out. That is because some of what we were teaching had to be via analogy because it was foreign to the students we had. If you left someone in class not doing homework, they would continue further down the road to cause trouble and waste class time because they never worked past the initial analogy instruction. We were very time limited so this was too much to allow.

EDIT to add: Some people have a gift for using analogies that not only instruct, but provide insight with little effort on the student's part. I'm usually not among those people.

Well put.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Used by the knowledgeable to interpret the workings of things and spread understanding an analogy can be a great tool ( though there are pit falls here as explained by @Blumlein 88 ), unfortunately we see them used on web forums more as a lazy tool for argument often by those less well informed addressing folks more knowledgeable than themselves and then they serve more as a tool for revealing ignorance lol

What I would say is their use does indicate a strong and genuine will on the part of the author to communicate and build understanding . I value that and would much rather have the odd dodgy analogy than a forum full of folks who just think they are way too clever and others so dumb it’s a waste of time communicating at all . To that end I find this discussion between yourselves fairly enlightening.

The drive to share knowledge and develop better understanding is the foundation of ASR, it’s not a perfect process and there will be misunderstanding but in the vast majority of you it comes across loud and clear and for that We are grateful.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Used by the knowledgeable to interpret the workings of things and spread understanding an analogy can be a great tool ( though there are pit falls here as explained by @Blumlein 88 ), unfortunately we see them used on web forums more as a lazy tool for argument by those less well informed ( often addressing folks more knowledgeable than themselves) and then they serve more as a tool for revealing ignorance lol

What I would say is there use does indicate a strong and genuine will on the part of the author to communicate themselves and be understood , I value that and would much rather have the odd dodgy analogy than a forum full of folks who just think they are way too clever and others so dumb it’s a waste of time communicating at all . To that end I find this discussion between yourselves fairly enlightening.

The drive to share knowledge and develop better understanding is the foundation of ASR, it’s not a perfect process and there will be misunderstanding but in the vast majority of you it comes across loud and clear and for that I’m grateful.

Well put, also. ;)

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Well put, also. ;)
Without analogy relating to the humble tomato we would never of uncovered the deep fear of castration that seems to reside within a few of you , the construction of analogies can reveal associations within the self that uncover deep truths about you all.

No wonder then some here ( naming no names lol) are so wary of their use :D

Wombat

Master Contributor
Without analogy relating to the humble tomato we would never of uncovered the deep fear of castration that seems to reside within a few of you , the construction of analogies can reveal associations within the self that uncover deep truths about you all.

No wonder then some here ( naming no names lol) are so wary of their use :D

Horse lovers know the difference between balls and knackers even though they can be analogous in other contexts. One relates to testicles, the other to the removal of the whole horse. Down-under, the same. :p

http://www.slang.com.au/k/knackers/

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Horse lovers know the difference between balls and knackers even though they can be analogous in other contexts. One relates to testicles, the other to the removal of the whole horse. Down-under, the same. :p

http://www.slang.com.au/k/knackers/
Due to my pedigree my balls are far far to valuable to be thinking about sending me the the knackers yard..

But you are free to dream.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Due to my pedigree my balls are far far to valuable to be thinking about sending me the the knackers yard..

But you are free to dream.

Thomas I dream of you as a draught-horse. Draught of Guinness, draught of lager, draught of ale, draught of whatever is going - a bit like me. o_O

Those persistent spammers seem to think they can restore you to your young stallion days. How is it going? :D

Last edited:

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

When I have to use an analogy, I work hard to make it a good one. It's 1996 and I'm teaching some Time Warner level 3 techs about Windows PC and IRQ as it pertains to add in ISA cards.

The analogy I used was your are standing at the deli counter and you need to not only take a # but you need to figure out all the other numbers in use and then pick one that isn't. Then the system (the deli clerk) will cycle through the numbers taking requests.

It was something where another shop was trying to show them how to insert and configure ISA NIC's but had them baffled. One simple executed analogy had everything in place for them and it only took me five minutes to initially explain. Of course TWC not only specifically requested that I come out after the other shop, then they didn't want to pay me my $500 for the session we negotiated be cause I had all their techs successfully installing ISA NIC's in 15 minutes including trouble shooting why they weren't working out of the two hours they allotted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom