• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MC-1000: Best Speaker in the World?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally I am actually positively surprised considering its origin, price and age, except the early bass drop which happened often at closed baffle loudspeakers of that time it has a decent horizontal and vertical directivity due to the reasonable driver size choice and even the frequency response on axis is in an approximate +-3 dB range, some later modern 2 way designs with larger woofer would look worse there.

gfx_1

Never heard of them but google images revealed some very cheap drivers.

Koeitje

Major Contributor

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Little clip where you can see the drivers.

Wonder if the highs get better without grill?

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wake up to this?
Seriously, this would be a good test of our "Olive" score.
The score proves it is indeed the best speaker measured thus far... if going by golf rules.

Preference Rating
SCORE: -0.6
SCORE w/ subwoofer: 3.2

And yes, negative scores are possible, one flat-panel speaker got a -15 from researches using the same scoring algorithm.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ZHtJMNsFhkbMUU-Xge1Zcl_a9OXA5uXxyq8o6/pubhtml

Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 5.27.53 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 5.28.17 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 5.28.28 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 5.28.56 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 5.29.09 AM.png

The negative score throws off my ranking system chart:
Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 5.44.39 AM.png

Should I exclude it or keep it? If I keep it, should turn the color black:p.

Last edited:

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks share you charming pair of speakers amirm and work get them NFS analyzed, your writing about build in PEQ and is very musical playing its own tunes where a solo becomes a duo and duo becomes trio etc is a great read and good humor :) probably its a little bit of a resonator or bell as seen in response and impedance sweeps, but at that time tools and studys was probably limited.

Dowloading the txt files couldn't resist try virtual massage with what looks a resonator or bell mirror filter, target is on axis with some textbook slopes for stopbands, was bit surprised how prediction clean up on stuff, normalized polar is probably the signature like it or not but on axis and out to +/-30 horisontals began look like the normalized one, imagine that should be a improvement, left side of graphs are out of box and right side is the fltered graphs.
Realistic_MC-1000_EQ.png

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You just need to get the right amp and cables to achieve synergy. Try the more “musical” ones.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe these speakers would be good for improving some boring "demo reference-grade audiophile recordings", in a way they add extra coloration to them to make them sound amusing :p

tomtoo

Major Contributor
A little more respect for the elder pls!

You just have to replace the drivers, add a dsp x-over, add 3 amps, some cabinet enhancements(port). Voila! You have nearly a Hedd type 20. Ok, i said nearly. ;)

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I wake up to this?

The score proves it is indeed the best speaker measured thus far... if going by golf rules......

.....The negative score throws off my ranking system chart.....

.....Should I exclude it or keep it? If I keep it, should turn the color black:p.

Ha ha you good hope some coffee helped there, think black or blue should be good thats same colour scheme mostly used for wires when voltage value is negative, thanks graphs and updated preference rating race :).

Habu

And think how much child's where made while this speakers was playing??
More respect!

Just after these speakers were available, there is a significative rate of birth increase in the USA concerning the so-called Millenials.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_boom
CCC64862-5CEF-41EF-8C50-3A120244E47E.png

Millennials, also known as Generation Y (or simply Gen Y), are the demographic cohort following Generation X and preceding Generation Z. Researchers and popular media use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years, with 1981 to 1996 a widely accepted definition. Millennials are somatises referred to as "echo boomers" due to a major surge in birth rates in the 1980s and 1990s, and because millennials are often the children of the baby boomers. The characteristics of millennials vary by region and by individual, and the group experiences a variety of social and economic conditions, but they are generally marked by their coming of age in the Information Age, and are comfortable in their usage of digital technologies and social media.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials

Last edited:

Dave Zan

OK, I confess. The early reflection directivity index should be straight like the arrow that I have drawn.

Funny review (and educational as a comparison) but it does remind me of one point I meant to ask.
Do you just draw in the lines by eyeball?
Or is there an objective fit, "least squares" or whatever?
Seems we need an objective method for consistency.

Best wishes
David.

Top Bottom