• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Guettel

If you post conflicting measurements, you may get somewhere here. Other than that, it's just words I'm afraid.
I am in no position to disagree with his measurements.

The flaw in the argument is to say the measurements are sufficient to capture everything relevant about the device.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am in no position to disagree with his measurements.

The flaw in the argument is to say the measurements are sufficient to capture everything relevant about the device.
We like it, simple-minded engineers that we are. It suffices for us to listen to test tones and 1kHz square waves.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The premise "anything that matters can be measured" is myopic.

In 1930, frequency response couldn't be measured. But it sure does matter.

To claim that whatever standards of measurements happen to exist at this moment capture everything relevant about audio is simply ignorant.
No measurements of any subject in any field is complete. Yet we are able to examine what is wrong with you when you get sick and fly to Mars. For a DAC we measure with ease what impacts audibility to levels way better than we can hear. No one has demonstrated they can hear what we can't measure.

Of course if you don't know electronics or audio science, you can be sold any story that favors a manufacturer. We don't have that problem here.

Guettel

No measurements of any subject in any field is complete. Yet we are able to examine what is wrong with you when you get sick and fly to Mars. For a DAC we measure with ease what impacts audibility to levels way better than we can hear. No one has demonstrated they can hear what we can't measure.

Of course if you don't know electronics or audio science, you can be sold any story that favors a manufacturer. We don't have that problem here.
No one has proven what is currently measureable is all that is hearable.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Totally agree. But today's objective results don't necessarily capture everything relevant.
We can't measure what people capture with their eyes. Close them and we are more than capable to measure what matters.

Guettel

Anyway, I'm sure you'll ban me.

Nice chatting - appreciate your chiming in, especially on Christmas. Hope you had/are having a good one.

DonR

Major Contributor
On what evidence can you claim this?

Issac Newton would have said the same thing.

Then came Einstein.
Nope. Newtonian physics works for everything our senses can perceive. Einsteinian physics is only required in extremis, i.e. the very large, the very small or the very fast.

RonSanderson

At least I proposed something testable.

Given the rhythmic nature of most music, would odd-order harmonic distortion make the music seem to have more impact than the equivalent amount of even-order distortion. It should be easy to test - just not by me!

”Common knowledge“ was always that even was good and odd was bad. But, below the levels where it sounds harsh, what is the effect?

I will back away from the word “pace” although I have heard it in many contexts describing the way music engages the listener. Personally, I would not make light of any concepts that increase musical enjoyment.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Nice chatting - appreciate your chiming in, especially on Christmas. Hope you had/are having a good one.
You've shaken our faith in science. You'll pay for this!

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

You’ve just repeated tired old arguments against science that are based on little knowledge or understanding of scientific process. The only sin is to continue to argue from the position of ignorance. Stick around and read and maybe you’ll learn something new and maybe discover some things we actually do know.

Guettel

Nope. Newtonian physics works for everything our senses can perceive. Einsteinian physics is only required in extremis, i.e. the very large, the very small or the very fast.
Wrong. The entire GPS system would break down if not for relativistic adjustments.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally, I would not make light of any concepts that increase musical enjoyment.
Nor would I, but I *would* pay attention to whether they are from aural or other stimuli. Otherwise it's all just a crap shoot.

Guettel

You’ve just repeated tired old arguments against science that are based on little knowledge or understanding of scientific process. The only sin is to continue to argue from the position of ignorance. Stick around and read and maybe you’ll learn something new and maybe discover some things we actually do know.
Insult me all you want to.

That's all you have since the essential point that what we can currently measure may not be all that matters is unassailable.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom