• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Martin Logan Electromotion ESL-X

upgraditis

Following some glowing recommendations of Martin Logan Aerius from my brother, I'm thinking of popping for some ESL-X's for sale locally to replace my Linn Ninkas. I'm just curious if anyone has any experience with this speaker, particularly my concern that I can't get them as far away from the back wall as recommended. They should be around 3' or more away, but I will realistically get about 18-22". So my question is: how much performance will I lose being so close to the back wall?

I value imaging and soundstage over the PRaT of the Linns. Other speakers I was considering before the ML's got put in my mind were PMC's, Revel and Focal.

Amp is an Arcam A49.

Thanks for any insights....

MarkS

Major Contributor
Dipole speakers are typically more finicky to place well than standard forward-firing speakers. Can you go hear them locally? When you do, can you get them placed as near to the wall as you would have them?

Also, since you're buying used, you could likely resell them with no or little loss if they don't work out for you.

Here is a thread discussing similar models: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ctromotion-esl-comparative-measurements.7372/

And here are some basic measurements of the ESL X (they look pretty good): https://www.soundandvision.com/cont...motion-esl-x-speaker-system-review-test-bench

Hellasärö

Following some glowing recommendations of Martin Logan Aerius from my brother, I'm thinking of popping for some ESL-X's for sale locally to replace my Linn Ninkas. I'm just curious if anyone has any experience with this speaker, particularly my concern that I can't get them as far away from the back wall as recommended. They should be around 3' or more away, but I will realistically get about 18-22". So my question is: how much performance will I lose being so close to the back wall?

I value imaging and soundstage over the PRaT of the Linns. Other speakers I was considering before the ML's got put in my mind were PMC's, Revel and Focal.

Amp is an Arcam A49.

Thanks for any insights....
I have heard the ESL X in a store and they sounded good, but not neutral like revel and kef (I've owned both). But the response was neutral enough, dispersion is quite uneven to the sides, so listening spot will be very narrow. But they have a transparency and quickness to the sound I haven't heard with box speakers.

22" is too close without treating the front wall.

But with an amplifier with eq capabilities or room correction and listening near -field and they will perform well. Another alternative would be magnepan LRS+ and a couple of subs. But they need eq or room correction as well.

How much are they asking for the ESL X?

Hope this helps

ord.avg.guy

I have my EXL X's 17" from the wall, 6' apart and my sweet spot seat is around 7', and is a sweet spot. I find they are finicky with placement from wall for bass control,17" gives me remarkable bass and the manual's flashlight directions for toe in is spot on. I owned a pair of Sequels for a few years way back ('89-'92) and always missed the sound.

Driven by Bryston 4B3 and BP25.

Edited to add that listen to at 85db max.

Last edited:
OP
U

upgraditis

Thanks for the replies. Finicky is what I keep hearing over and over. I just don't have the room to move the speakers much, so I would hate to find that they sound best where they will never stay. The asking price is $3k CAD for the pair. I dunno, maybe I'll wait a bit more. There isn't anything wrong with the Linn Ninkas per se, but I haven't demoed any new speakers in probably 8 years so I was getting the itch.

Gwreck

I have owned the Em-esl and esl-9’s. The 9s are much better speakers and if you wait on the used market you may be able to find a pair close to $3k. I bought mine on audiogon from Canada for $3k US. On my 9’s input a 4 inch think 2x4ft bass trap from acoustimac behind them and I had them with the back 8-10 inches off the wall. Absorbing the rear reflection makes them sound better and easier to place IMHO.

OP
U

upgraditis

I've never seen the ESL-9's for sale locally, but I'll keep an eye out. I keep reading that the Revel F208 is the cat's ass. Maybe given my room constraints I should look more closely at those. Is that a big upgrade from the Linn Ninkas? Any opinions welcomed. Of course I would try to listen before buying, but if it's more of a lateral move I won't spend the time searching...

MarkS

Major Contributor
Almost certainly in terms of measurements, especially smoothness off-axis, the Revels will be better. (I can't find any measurements of the Ninkas, but they were designed before a lot of attention started being paid to directivity; and largish woofers plus a flat-mounted tweeter usually do not measure well off axis.) Does that mean the Revels will sound better, in your room, to you? Eh ... impossible to say. Likely not. Anyone who's owned a particular set of speakers for a long time tends to internalize their sound as "correct", and any differences in other speakers is heard as a deviation from "correct".

I would advise going around to stores (if possible) and listening to other speakers. For sure go listen to the MLs, however they're set up, if you can. But if nothing strikes you as being way better than your Linns, then you may as well keep them.

Last edited:

Justdafactsmaam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have heard them a few times. I liked them a lot. Tell us more about that wall. Is it reflective, diffuse, absorbent?

Justdafactsmaam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for the replies. Finicky is what I keep hearing over and over. I just don't have the room to move the speakers much, so I would hate to find that they sound best where they will never stay. The asking price is $3k CAD for the pair. I dunno, maybe I'll wait a bit more. There isn't anything wrong with the Linn Ninkas per se, but I haven't demoed any new speakers in probably 8 years so I was getting the itch.
3K?! Aren’t these 20K+ retail? I’d like to know why so cheap. If there’s nothing wrong with them buy them.

OP
U

upgraditis

Almost certainly in terms of measurements, especially smoothness off-axis, the Revels will be better. (I can't find any measurements of the Ninkas, but they were designed before a lot of attention started being paid to directivity; and largish woofers plus a flat-mounted tweeter usually do not measure well off axis.) Does that mean the Revels will sound better, in your room, to you? Eh ... impossible to say. Likely not. Anyone who's owned a particular set of speakers for a long time tends to internalize their sound as "correct", and any differences in other speakers is heard as a deviation from "correct".

I would advise going around to stores (if possible) and listening to other speakers. For sure go listen to the MLs, however they're set up, if you can. But if nothing strikes you as being way better than your Linns, then you may as well keep them.
Thank you. This is sage advice. I looked back and it's been over 12 yrs with the Linns. Apparently I don't get upgraditis as often as I thought (though I have changed amps and CD players a couple times). But it also makes me think it's high time to get something a bit newer, surely technology has improved vastly since the Ninkas were designed, probably in the early 2000's.
I'll start making some time to go to some hi-fi places in town and start listening, see what I'm missing.

Top Bottom