• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Major confusion over Motu M2 - a lot of conflicting reviews

OP
D

DTNT

Ok. I have to update my opinion between ID14 and M2:

After listening both all this days, on my monitores, headphones and comparing, on a mix and some cds being played thru them, and also with headphones, I have come to this conclusion:

M2: is more focused on the mids, the bass and the high freq are a tiny bit rolled off.
ID14 mkII: less mid focused, more bass and high freq (a tiny bit)

On the measurements M2 is linear as it gets, and I've never felt that M2 is midcentered, or with rolled off lows and highs, I find bass really good and highs really extended.

Audio interfaces are not Hi-Fi devices, they are not supposed to sound warm or any of that thing. If you want something like that, you should look into Hi-Fi equipment really. Studio equipment should be linear as it gets. It's not for everybody's taste, but it has its own purpose.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
One Question: (Sorry if this was already answered)

Which DAC Chip is inside the Motu M2 and in the Audient ID14?
Posted on a phone or I would look it up, but the short answer is a good one. Google each one you'll find it easy enough.

xeizo

One Question: (Sorry if this was already answered)

Which DAC Chip is inside the Motu M2 and in the Audient ID14?

Audient has an unbranded DAC with "43199" printed on it, it could be a modified CS43198, or something entirely else. Who knows since it's undocumented. Looks to be good though, -12dB better THD + noise compared to previous model.

MOTU M2 has different revisions, so much unlike each other that the firmware aren't even compatible. There's a FW1.0-series for the first models, and a FW2.0-series for later models.
The early M.2:s had ESS ES9016S DAC, the later models has ESS ES9028Q2M.

I have an early M2 with ES9016S, as I bought it back when it came out.

Is worth mentioning that M2 is supposed to work best with Mac computers, there is a lot of talk on that topic on the MOTU-forums. Windows just doesn't work as well with the drivers, and I have seen MOTU-staff commenting people should switch to Macs and be happy.

Last edited:

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Audient has an unbranded DAC with "43199" printed on it, it could be a modified CS43198, or something entirely else. Who knows since it's undocumented. Looks to be good though, -12dB better THD + noise compared to previous model.

MOTU M2 has different revisions, so much unlike each other that the firmware aren't even compatible. There's a FW1.0-series for the first models, and a FW2.0-series for later models.
The early M.2:s had ESS ES9016S DAC, the later models has ESS ES9028Q2M.

I have an early M2 with ES9016S, as I bought it back when it came out.

Is worth mentioning that M2 is supposed to work best with Mac computers, there is a lot of talk on that topic on the MOTU-forums. Windows just doesn't work as well with the drivers, and I have seen MOTU-staff commenting people should switch to Macs and be happy.
@xeizo

Thank you very much.

Linux compatibilty is another challenge sometimes. I was happy to find out, that my current TASCAM Interface is usable with it.

Top Bottom