• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MA-1 Setup and less than 30m², 1 room flat, acoustic improvements

Ren4issance

Hi guys !

I've been a lurker on ASR for a few weeks now, and I just acquired KH150s, a KH750 and MA-1 System. I ran the system and here are my results (haven't even listened to the aligned result yet).

1696765758330.png

1696765831150.png

I'm overall really happy with the result, but I'm gonna start to read more about room treatment, acoustic principles etc ... (I was focused on speaker reviews for now).

Do you guys have any thoughts about these results, do you know where should I aim my research ?

I live in a less than 30m² and It's gonna be really tough for me to place dedicated room treatment :/.

Thanks in advance,

Antoine

ozzy9832001

Looks can sometimes be deceiving. It appears that it's fixed a lot of the issues with the frequency response, but you won't know for sure until you listen to them and compare.

My experience with room correction has not been positive. The boosted areas of the FR usually end up with an overly bloated sound and cause long decay times (there is a reason for the peaks and dips and trying to force correct a dip often results in a strange off axis behavior).

To me, room correction is a great final step, once all treatment is in place. Of course, if RC is your only option go for it...but always listen to an A/B comparison. Use a few songs that you know by heart. See what details jump out at you and what maybe missing from it. You may want to tweak it and remove the boosts while keeping the reductions.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks can sometimes be deceiving. It appears that it's fixed a lot of the issues with the frequency response, but you won't know for sure until you listen to them and compare.

My experience with room correction has not been positive. The boosted areas of the FR usually end up with an overly bloated sound and cause long decay times (there is a reason for the peaks and dips and trying to force correct a dip often results in a strange off axis behavior).

To me, room correction is a great final step, once all treatment is in place. Of course, if RC is your only option go for it...but always listen to an A/B comparison. Use a few songs that you know by heart. See what details jump out at you and what maybe missing from it. You may want to tweak it and remove the boosts while keeping the reductions.

In my experience, MA1 only boosts a little bit. But i don't really know how the "before" chart is made. Probably either without sub or with badly integrated sub. So most of the improvements are likely due to the sub integration and not because of boosts.

I think the result looks fine. The before-graph is pretty bad though and may indicate a not optimal listening or speaker or sub position. But listen to it first, that's most important.

OP
R

Ren4issance

Thank you guys.

@DJBonoBobo I did not move or change anything between the 2 graphs, just ran the software.

From a 100 hertz and up I didn't have to think about it, especially the 100 to 800 hz, it's so obvious it's an improvement, even an untrained ear like mine can tell the difference.

For the 100 to 50 Hz shenanigans, I had to lowpass a bass loop, but the difference is definitely there. Down past 30Hz I don't really care for my purpose anyway right now, and I have neighbors all around me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Well considering the challenging environment I think it's a success overall, plus I listen very closely (min. recommended listening position) and most of the time at pretty low volume, It probably mitigates some of those problems.

I'm still gonna read some threads in this subforum for personal knowledge and in the future experiment with the KH750 position, but that's it !

Thank you for your feedbacks,

Antoine

Top Bottom