• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

M2Tech Palmer Power Station - No Output

OhmEyeDaze

I'm hoping someone can help me out here, I have an Palmer power station with no output - I thought at fist the battery inside had died but it seems ok - however I have found what looks like a burnt resistor on the circuit board. I've done a bit of SMD work before so I feel confident I can replace it, but I can't figure out the value...

Does anyone here have the ability or inclination to open up theirs and have a gander inside? Long shot I know....

Haven't had a reply from M2Tech yet about the resistor value, or my request for a schematic... I'm dubious they will want to provide either but I live in hope.

The resistor in question is R25 located about 1cm down and 5cm in from the right on the top of the PCB (looking from the front), I have attached a couple of pictures.

I realise this is somewhat "putting it out there" so to speak but I'm pretty desperate...so I thought I might as well ask.

Attachments

• M2TECH Palmer R25.jpg
    M2TECH Palmer R25.jpg
    472.5 KB · Views: 71
  • WIN_20230510_18_12_04_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20230510_18_12_04_Pro.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 66

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
What is the Palmer powering, we used to import M2Tech I tried one of their external supplies with the Young dac didn’t make any difference I advised customers not to purchase.
Keith

OP
O

OhmEyeDaze

What is the Palmer powering, we used to import M2Tech I tried one of their external supplies with the Young dac didn’t make any difference I advised customers not to purchase.
Keith
It's powering a MK1 Young. Yes I know, they're not as good a tons of things but I like it and my system is where I like it....

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
It's powering a MK1 Young. Yes I know, they're not as good a tons of things but I like it and my system is where I like it....
I believe the Young was a decent enough dac, it just wasn’t improved by using an external power supply , I compared side by side using two ‘Young’ units.
Keith

OP
O

OhmEyeDaze

I believe the Young was a decent enough dac, it just wasn’t improved by using an external power supply , I compared side by side using two ‘Young’ units.
Keith
In all honesty Keith, I very much doubt I would be able to hear the difference with my ears, even if I were 20 years younger, I just hate the thought of binning this thing for the sake of potentially just one tiny resistor! I've been studying the resistor, or what is left of it for some time and I have to say; It looks very much to me like this may have already been replaced at some point as the font seems to differ from the surrounding SM Resistors... I've also been studying the E192 series of standard values... I'm thinking 109K, Possibly 133K, 169K or 189K - All rather specific and I doubt interchangeable.

Any Tech's out there with better eyes than me?

Still holding out hope for a sympathetic (and a little brave) Palmer owner with a magnifying glass....

OP
O

OhmEyeDaze

Update!

A very helpful chap from M2Tech sent me the schematics! Turns out the resistor in question is 340K, so it would seem that at some point this device has been modified to increase the charge current... And I think that has caused some other issues in the circuit. I have found a shorted BC550 transistor in the regulator circuit - I tried a 2N2222 in it's place but it went pop so I've ordered some BC550's and in the meantime will try and figure out what caused the transistor to fail. The Larger pass transistor seems ok...

Waffling aside, I just wanted to say thanks for the replies and to make it known that the guys at M2Tech are very helpful.

:)

Attachments

• M2Tech Palmer Charge Regulator.jpg
    M2Tech Palmer Charge Regulator.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 47
Top Bottom