• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bass guitar preamp

radix

Major Contributor
I need a preamp for my bass guitar. I have to return my Line6 StompXL box and wait for the RMA. I was using that to up-convert to line level. So I need instrument level to line level (about 33dB gain, as measured on the input of a Motu ultralite mk5). Here's a little circuit I think will do the trick. Any suggestions or pointers? I'm running this into a denon AVR and my HT setup for now, until I build my bass cabinet. I could buy the Behringer BDI21 DI for $30, but this seems more fun.

I'm guessing that a 56k input impedance is OK for a passive bass pickup. or do I need a very high input impedance, like a mic capsule?

schematic.png

I prototyped this out with parts I had on hand. This has a fixed 27k resistor, not the 50k pot. And i was not so precise with all the resistor values. I also didn't have a 20uF cap, so I used 2x 10uF in parallel. When I get the case, I'll add a 1/4" instrument in and RCA out, plus the gain control.

IMG_0044.jpeg

Right now, the power supply is my bench unit. I'll need to do something with say a 12VDC power supply and I guess a virtual ground regulated supply. I was thinking of a LM317 set at 10V then use cross-coupled 7805/7905 with 1R output resistors for the virtual ground. Or maybe a DC-DC 12V to +-9V, then 7805/7905. Or even just the LM317 @ 10V w/ a voltage divider. It seems like the split rail power supply is the most complex part. hopefully the case will help with the 60Hz too, though I doubt anything could be worse than the alligator clip spaghetti I tested with.

IMG_0041.jpeg

bass-preamp-thd.png

bass-preamp-thd-vs-freq.png

Top Bottom