• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LX521.4 Review by Absolute Sound on YouTube

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hilarious. Peter Aczel reviewed the LX-521 in 2014 in his webzine for The Audio Critic. Here is that review;

If I were running TAS, I would be embarassed that a journal devoted to reviewing edge of the art audio only now got around to reviewing this ground breaking product. They ought to be ashamed.

Oh, this is also available in DIY, and can be built for a fraction of what this cost. If I were builing it I would buy Madisound drivers and flat pack, do the crossover on my PC with something like Ekio, use my Octo Dac 8 Pro or else a Topping DM 7 as the Dac, and buy eight channels of Nc 252 amplification. With a little sweat equity could be built for around $5-7 k. And there is a community with a website to help you build it.

Last edited:

snowball

We've all lost track of time a bit the last few years. But this is a real time warp. Still the speakers are great and deserve some press.

amadeuswus

Forum Donor
A "Breakthrough" for TAS, a "Brokethrough" for the rest of the audio world? Wouldn't it be interesting to see this on the Klippel....

OP
G

gab

I think but can't be 100% that the version Absoute Sound reviewed above is Frank's (MagicLX) "latest" with the magnesium woofer upgrade and combination active crossover/amplification boxes.

You can still "build" (i.e., DIY) an LX521.4 for considerably less $$$ assuming you have the interest. Still not a "cheap" speaker though even when DIY'd.

Erin measured the LX Mini a year or so ago on his Klippel.

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I think but can't be 100% that the version Absoute Sound reviewed above is Frank's (MagicLX) "latest" with the magnesium woofer upgrade and combination active crossover/amplification boxes.

You can still "build" (i.e., DIY) an LX521.4 for considerably less $$$ assuming you have the interest. Still not a "cheap" speaker though even when DIY'd.

Erin measured the LX Mini a year or so ago on his Klippel.
Why is that speaker great?

The LX Mini, which Erin measured, wasn’t.

MoreWatts

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is now the first time the design has been available from a manufacturer? Were completely finished models ever available through Madisound, or anywhere else, consistently?

I hate to give TAS a break, but I don't think they review DIY projects.

As to cost, this has always been an expensive DIY project, because the innovative drivers and electronics were the main cost, currently ~$3700 at Madisound. Is this finished product cost really exorbitant?

If this is possibly the greatest speaker ever, wouldn't a cost about the same as the Revel F328Be be justified?

This speaker always struck me as vaporware. If the greatest is right over there, how come we never see it?

OP
G

gab

One more "oldie but goodie" thread on DIYAudio - Joachim Gerhard visited Linkwitz in 2014 and his impressions of the LX521:

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why is that speaker great?

The LX Mini, which Erin measured, wasn’t.

I guess it depends on your definition of great.

I find the LXmini directivity impressive for a nearly decade old unconventional DIY design that relied on backyard measurements. The design is understandably compromised given it is a 2 way but its simplicity also means it is one of the easiest DIY speakers to build.

Erin's measurements of the LXmini give me high hopes that the LX521 measures well, would love to see one on the Klippel.

Another interesting DIY dipole design from the same era is John K's NaO Note II RS, John just released the plans to the public here-> https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/nao-note-ii-rs.221948/post-7373469. I don't really have a suitable room for the LX521 or the NaO Note II RS but I kind of want to build them before the drivers become completely unobtanium.

Michael

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Don’t matter what he said. Look at the FR, Directivity. I guess one can have different definitions of “great”. Not great for me then, but not abysmal ;-) either as the a lot of “bumpiness” is at quite high frequencies.

I think it’s not the smartest idea to use preference models made from data from monopole boxes to judge this speaker.

jhenderson0107

Many speakers which are designed to provide good directivity and smooth response using quality drivers and a well-executed cabinet can sound great. For my musical preferences, my LX-521's are on-par with the best speakers I've ever heard. They present an image with even more discernable sound-stage depth than my Genelec HT surround system. It is hyper-realistic. But of course there are other attributes where the HT surpasses the LX's - solo instruments (such as classical guitar and lute) are better anchored within the image to the center and sized more realistically.

There are many approaches to excellent sound quality. With a reasonable expenditure on speakers, well positioned/equalized to mitigate the worst room modes, modest room treatments and decent electronics, good sound is assured. The difference between an $800 vs $8,000 system (e.g. LX-521) are significant, but further expenditures bring severely diminished returns.

Top Bottom