• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Low frequency

jst

I recently found speakers from Sony Compo LBT Lv100av in my storage and the sound is nice, there is a low sound like subwoofer but the spec says it's woofer, super woofer as Sony calls it.

So I guess it's a matter of FREQUENCY, which I'm confused about. 40hz and 87hz which one is lower ?

I have a WharfedaleSW250 subwoofer and the remote control has label Low Pass Filters, OFF, 35, 45, 55, 65, 75, 85. It doesn't say Hertz or Hz, but that should be the frequency, right ? 85 Hz is more boomy than 35 Hz in this sub remote control.

But when I checked on Youtube, seems like higher number is higher sound. So which one is right ? Lower number = lower bass sound or higher.

I'm trying to find other speakers with this SonyLv100Av sound characteristic, it has enough low sound to the point I don't need to use a subwoofer with it and it has horn tweeter, a bit harsh but it's really good for movies and playing games (using Aiyima A07 amp). So I'm looking for speakers with quite low hz.

The sound coming out from this Sony speaker sounds powerful. For example a person punching someone in a movie, the sound effect has a bit of low freq sound with it making it sounds very powerful, and breaking glass sounds so piercing to the ears but it's nice for sound effects. Too bad Sony doesn't say anything about speaker spec, only woofer size and 2 or 3 way, dimension, watt, ohm, but it doesnt say anything about frequency.

This speaker has Frequency Range: 87Hz-35kHz

While this one has Frequency Response: 50 Hz to 20 kHz

Which one has lower bass ?

Last edited:

tuga

Major Contributor
Lowest audible frequency - 20 cycles/second or Hertz (Hz)
Highest audible frequency - 20,000 cycles/second or Hertz (Hz)
20,000Hz = 20kHz

cS2m8rB.jpg

OP
jst

jst

Last edited:

XpanD

Forum Donor
Your remote is labeled correctly, though I can see how this could be confusing if you're not familiar with how this stuff works. That setting basically determines how much of the bass range your subwoofer is playing. You would normally combine that with speakers that are filtered (crossed over) at the same frequency, so that the subwoofer takes over where the speakers start dropping off. Since your speakers are probably not filtered, setting that frequency higher will result in both the subwoofer and your speakers playing over each other -- there's your boomy bass!

Subwoofers are going to be more comfortable playing these lower notes, taking some of the load off of the speakers (less power needed, less distortion). Subwoofers can also be positioned freely for the best results (it's very hard to hear where lower frequencies are coming from), whereas with speakers the best spot for overall sound will often not lead to good bass.

It's all a bit more complicated than this in practice (crossover slopes, time/phase alignment, stuff like that), but that's the basic idea.

Last edited:

tuga

Major Contributor
On this remote control, 85 sounds lower than 35, more boomy bass. I guess they labeled it wrong but it's really funny if they did. Or cmiiw, maybe it's not Hz or something else.

They labelled it as "low-pass" filter.
A low-pass filter passes sound below the crossover frequency and filters out the frequencies above it (preventing them to be reproduced).

If you select 35Hz for the low-pass crossover frequency the subwoofer will only reproduce frequencies between 20Hz and 35Hz.

If you select 85Hz for the low-pass crossover frequency the subwoofer will only reproduce frequencies between 20Hz and 85Hz.

tuga

Major Contributor
I am not sure if you are familiar with frequency response graphs but maybe this will help you visualise the effects of different low-pass filter settings (the curve which extends further to the right is produced with the low-pass filter set to 210Hz, the one which produces the narrowest range is produced with the low-pass filter set to 50Hz):

Modinffig10.jpg

Infinity Modulus subwoofer, nearfield response with low-pass filter set to 210Hz, 175Hz, 120Hz, 90Hz, 70Hz, 60Hz, and 50Hz.

source: https://www.stereophile.com/content/infinity-modulus-loudspeaker-modulus-subwoofer-measurements

Reactions: jst

Bob-23

350px-Butterworth_response.svg.png

proxy-image
source: wikipedia

A lowpass filter makes the lows pass and blocks the highs.

The numbers on your display mean the -3db point of the lowpass-filter: that is where (the rest of) the signal is (already) lowered by 3db.

The steepness of the curve is determined by the 'order' of the lowpass-filter: the higher the order, the steeper the curve.
350px-Butterworth_Filter_Orders.svg.png

Yours might be a 2nd order lowpass filter.

A 2nd order lowpass (often in 'Sallen and Key' topology implemented) reduces the (rest of the) signal by 12 db/octave; a 4th order lowpass by 24 db/octave (two 2nd order filters in series). [Doubling the frequency = 1 octave; -10db = 1/2 loudness; -20db = 1/4 loudness]

proxy-image

EDIT: for the DIYers an easy built (2nd order Sallen and key in unikty gain):

260px-Sallen-Key_Lowpass_General.svg.png

proxy-image

Last edited:
OP
jst

jst

So higher number in this remote control means it will play wider range of bass frequency, so that's probably why 85 sounds more powerful because wider range of bass frequency is played.

But I swear for someone who doesn't understand this mechanic, just by ears, it sounds like 85 sounds lower and 35 45 and 55 is like the subwoofer not even on. 65 and 75 and 85 is where I can still hear low sound with 85 the strongest.

tuga

Major Contributor
So higher number in this remote control means it will play wider range of bass frequency, so that's probably why 85 sounds more powerful because wider range of bass frequency is played.

But I swear for someone who doesn't understand this mechanic, just by ears, it sounds like 85 sounds lower and 35 45 and 55 is like the subwoofer not even on. 65 and 75 and 85 is where I can still hear low sound with 85 the strongest.

Not many recordings have very audible sound below 40Hz. If your subwoofer is only reproducing the 20-35Hz range then it is likely that it won't be audible. That is why you perceive the 85Hz crossover frequency as "lower", although in fact the sound/range is louder because it is reproducing "higher" bass frequencies (a wider range).
As you widen the range reproduced by the subwoofer its "presence" becomes more noticeable, particularly if the level/SPL (dB - vertical scale below) is set higher than that of the main speakers of if there is overlap of frequencies (Hz - horizontal scale below) reproduced by both speakers and subwoofer which will generate a "bump" at the crossover frequency.

iNcnkrv.png

Last edited:

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For example a person punching someone in a movie, the sound effect has a bit of low freq sound with it making it sounds very powerful
It's really disappointing that you don't get that 'doof' sound in real life.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

You also have to consider that the FR of your Sub starts at 30Hz - and even at that, the SPL will have dropped off by about 50%. So at the lowest LPF setting (35Hz), you are not only massively reducing the range of frequencies output, but also those that are output are at a lower level.

Also - you talk about boominess. It may be that there is a room resonance at the higher bass frequencies (I have one at 49Hz), that doesn't get triggered when you select lower cut frequencies.

Last edited:
OP
jst

jst

Wow this really changes how I hear my sw250 sub now lol.

You guys are right, it's the range of frequency. At 85 it's not LOWER, it's MORE PUNCH. 45 is still audible though, very low with a lot less punch, but at 35 the bass is a goner or my ear is deaf to that freq. It really helps my 6.5 inch speakers because it lacks punch.

Thanks.

mdl

Hi anyone could help me with finding a pdf of the user manual of the infinity classic modulus ?
16368867032804757135877562096031.jpg
16368867241054936006122327268620.jpg

mdl

Hi doodski,
Yes I have but I'm more interested in the actual operating manual. What are the difference between the hi bypass and why two input ? How do you work out the switched on the back?

Screenshot_20211114-110719_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20211114-111118_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi doodski,
Yes I have but I'm more interested in the actual operating manual. What are the difference between the hi bypass and why two input ? How do you work out the switched on the back?
Ahhh... I see now. I can't find a operators manual too.

EDIT: The service manual might identify each switch by it's function.

Reactions: mdl

mdl

How about the two input RCA? Why two? What's the difference?
And the hi bypass output...what's the difference? How to use it??
16368887661984765936018837380776.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
hi bypass output
It's for speakers when used with a subwoofer. The high pass blocks the low frequency bass so that the speakers only produce what the crossover frequency on the front panel indicates.

two input RCA?
I'm not sure about that. I can't see all of the rear panel. Is there text on the back panel identifying each RCA input?

mdl

It's for speakers when used with a subwoofer. The high pass blocks the low frequency bass so that the speakers only produce what the crossover frequency on the front panel indicates.

I'm not sure about that. I can't see all of the rear panel. Is there text on the back panel identifying each RCA input?

Top Bottom