• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Low distortion is the goal, not smooth FR

Ralferator

I know most of you are on a quest to get the smoothest frequency response possible. My quest however is about about low compression and distortion, as well as lack of resonances.

Any speakers that don't cost much, say less than 1000, that i should look into? They don't have to be full range either, down to 80 or so is plenty.

JBL Stage A130

Transmaniacon

Polk R200 are quite flat, right up there with Genelac for $699/pair. I’ve got a pair and they sound fantastic.

test1223

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello,

first linear distortion aka frequency responses around the speaker is by far the most important thing. Therefore the spinorama correlates well with the perceived quality.

Second harmonic distortion (hd) is not an important none linear distortion for human perception. Intermodulation distortion (imd) is the most important none linear distortion for a speaker at not very loud levels.

Third all non linear distortion graphs have to be weighted with a none linear human perception curve to get meaning full results. E.g. the JBL A 130 is not great in this regard.

If you would really go a different way.
Have a look at KEF and B&W speaker. Even the cheaper modells provide very low IMD.

Best
Thomas

test1223

This range will be EQ'd down around 3dB for neutral response.
It is a bit better than, but the (not so relevant) hd is still to loud in this part and above threshold of detection (about 10dB lower distortion at 1,5 kHz can be perceived compared to e.g. hd at 3kHz).

theyellowspecial

Forum Donor
It is a bit better than, but the (not so relevant) hd is still to loud in this part and above threshold of detection (about 10dB lower distortion at 1,5 kHz can be perceived compared to e.g. hd at 3kHz).
Since EQ'ing this region would also be lowering resonances causing distortion, wouldn't the distortion be lowered by a non-linear factor? I guess measuring would be only way to find out for sure.

test1223

Since EQ'ing this region would also be lowering resonances causing distortion, wouldn't the distortion be lowered by a non-linear factor? I guess measuring would be only way to find out for sure.
With the two hd plots in the test you can see the linear increase in distortion.

Top Bottom