• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Low distortion is the goal, not smooth FR

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know most of you are on a quest to get the smoothest frequency response possible. My quest however is about about low compression and distortion, as well as lack of resonances.

Any speakers that don't cost much, say less than 1000, that i should look into? They don't have to be full range either, down to 80 or so is plenty.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Although speakers have more distortion than anything else in the chain it's rarely a problem if you don't over-drive the speaker. The "big problem" is frequency response, and of course resonance shows-up as a frequency-response problem

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I know most of you are on a quest to get the smoothest frequency response possible. My quest however is about about low compression and distortion, as well as lack of resonances.

Any speakers that don't cost much, say less than 1000, that i should look into? They don't have to be full range either, down to 80 or so is plenty.

I'm curious what the context of the question is, in relation to the kit you already own going by your signature? I'd have thought the ATC SCM19 V2s that you own may not be a bad shout for what you asked for...

I'm also curious why you're not interested in the frequency response. Is it becasue you don't think it matters or because you're taking the view that you can use EQ to 'fix' this?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The only speaker i know without buzzing and squeaking when the volume is raised is the Revel F328Be.

Ultrasonic

The only speaker i know without buzzing and squeaking when the volume is raised is the Revel F328Be.

Out of interest, have you ever heard ATC speakers, particularly larger active models?

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like you are a candidate for Yamaha NS 1000Ms Very low distortion. Response down to about 55 or 60 iirc.
FR and distortion are related through convolution theorems.

Any speakers that don't cost much, say less than 1000, that i should look into? They don't have to be full range either, down to 80 or so is plenty.[/QUOTE]

... Yamaha NS 1000M
For 1000$ ??
I'll pay the double; deal ?

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Get some good quality pro drivers, a nice waveguide and make a real solid, well-damped box with constrained layer damping. Fiddle the response as good as you can and off you go to audio bliss.

Low distortion and high power handling for 1000? Rare breed, I suspect. Better make it yourself.

Sharpi31

Forum Donor
Get some good quality pro drivers, a nice waveguide and make a real solid, well-damped box with constrained layer damping. Fiddle the response as good as you can and off you go to audio bliss.

Low distortion and high power handling for 1000? Rare breed, I suspect. Better make it yourself.

Sounds like an Econowave in a solid damped cabinet - that would be my first thought for under $1000. With plenty of sensitivity and low distortion, you can deploy some EQ later if needed.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're prepared to import 2nd-hand from Japan, sure.
Just checked on eBay, and there were 5 pairs available for under $360 with free shipping.
Unfortunately those are the miniatures NS-1000MM, you cant really get a pair of real NS-1000(M) for less than $1000.

gene_stl

Forum Donor
I have bought two pair so far a perfect mint pair from a fastidious owner for $500 and a lesser pair that need woofer repair but the Be speakers are fine for $300.
I have lines on two other pairs at similar prices.

nerdoldnerdith

DIYSG 1099

Attachments

• DIYSG Elusive 1099 Harmonic Distortion (102dB @ 1m).png
    DIYSG Elusive 1099 Harmonic Distortion (102dB @ 1m).png
    142.2 KB · Views: 142
D

Deleted member 27948

I'd recommend having a look at Focal active monitors + any closed box 8"+ sub. You can still get the previous generation of Focal Alpha 50 at amazing prices in pro audio stores.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Why do you care about distortion and not smooth FR?

Beave

Major Contributor
Sounds like you are a candidate for Yamaha NS 1000Ms Very low distortion. Response down to about 55 or 60 iirc.
FR and distortion are related through convolution theorems.

They are?

charleski

Major Contributor
Unfortunately those are the miniatures NS-1000MM, you cant really get a pair of real NS-1000(M) for less than $1000.
Lol, good point! I must say I did wonder how they could offer free shipping at that price … caveat emptor.

nai

If the room frequency response has several large valleys, low distortion and low compression is meaningless
So, first of all, the frequency response is flat

Top Bottom