• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Low ~-110 db. SINAD crossovers. Are there available any?

Arvind

I am looking for 2way tweeter crossover. Active or passive but with lower SINAD to compliment with other low SINAD components. Which brand should I look at?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A PC running software such as: Acourate, Audiolense , MathAudio, etc. with the appropriate Audio Interface aka soundcard would meet those requirements. They can also function as sophisticated and features-laden DRC.
The total cost of such a contraption can be rather substantial.... but these provide the ultimate level of control .. Driver linearization, extended range of crossover slopes and types ... Learning curve is steep but the results are unmatched.

One example could be:
PC + (One of those mentioned software) + Lynx Audio Interface or Motu Audio Interface or M-Audio or ... :)

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Passive crossovers have lowest SINAD :)

Use air coils, regular ceramic resistors and mkp caps.

Drivers used will be the weak link.

Kachda

Forum Donor
a minidsp studio?

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Alternative and cheaper solution to proprietary Windowsware: use any cheap computer (SBCs like the Raspberry Pi also work perfectly) with GNU/Linux and Pulseaudio Crossover Rack or ecasound for a "purer" Alsa solution. Can probably be done via camilladsp too.

Don't know about the preamps' performance, but there's the Behringer CX2310 too.

Last edited:

bigjacko

Of course must be okto research dac8 pro, 8 channel dac then use computer to do crossover.

egellings

Major Contributor
Noise 110dB down is preposterously more performance than anyone would ever need or be able to sonically appreciate in an audio (for human ears) device.

OP
Arvind

Arvind

Noise 110dB down is preposterously more performance than anyone would ever need or be able to sonically appreciate in an audio (for human ears) device.
True, but here we all are chasing SINAD of different components and you know weakest link determines the strength of entire chain.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
True, but here we all are chasing SINAD of different components and you know weakest link determines the strength of entire chain.

I don’t want to be mean, but if you’ve never made any crossover or measured a speaker (or even have the equipment), you are the weakest link at the moment. Having a 120 SINAD crossover does not guarantee a good result.

So let’s fix that weak link first :cool:. Let’s dive a bit more into your use case. Can you describe in a bit more detail what you are trying to do?

KSTR

Major Contributor
Well, it's just that this strategy is almost useless. The "weakest" link -- except fot the human factor -- in a complete setup seldom is that dreaded isolated SINAD rating of a compenent/device. And distortion is basically a solved problem for all electronics (which is not to say everthing sound the same, of course).
System setup, gain staging and cabling then often dominates noise floor. Connect two 100dB++ rated devices with unbalanced interconnects and the S/N-ratio may quickly drop to 60dB or less :-(

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
The SINAD of your room's acoustics (noise from outside sources and reverb/echoes etc.) is probably 50db at best. ;)

OP
Arvind

Arvind

I don’t want to be mean, but if you’ve never made any crossover or measured a speaker (or even have the equipment), you are the weakest link at the moment. Having a 120 SINAD crossover does not guarantee a good result.

So let’s fix that weak link first :cool:. Let’s dive a bit more into your use case. Can you describe in a bit more detail what you are trying to do?
Yes, I have never made any crossover. It is not like that I am unaware of speakers, room interaction or ambient noise. I am just trying to get reasonably good measuring pair of crossovers to try tweeters with my treble shy pair of point source full rangers AudioNirvana Alnico Super 15 inchers.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agree with other comments that chasing SINAD here is a bit silly.

What inputs do you require? Do you want a DSP solution with a built in DAC? Are you only considering active analog solutions?

If you have necessary the DAC/amplifier channels a miniDSP nanoDIGI clears the 110 dB SINAD threshold at less than $200 and has 8 channels of output but obviously only works if you have only digital sources (or a sufficiently high quality ADC).

Michael

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am just trying to get reasonably good measuring pair of crossovers to try tweeters with my treble shy pair of point source full rangers AudioNirvana Alnico Super 15 inchers.

What exactly is the goal here? A super tweeter will have a massive directivity mismatch. In that case I would just use a simple passive crossover and possibly an L-pad, even first order might work. The end result will objectively not be very good, but might suit your needs. Saves an amp, DAC and DSP.

OP
Arvind

Arvind

I am not interested in dsp, want to go analog only. Being a half century old, I can't even hear above 16kHz. So no super tweeter required. However, I want to shift burden of producing above 4kHz from my fullrangers to tweeters.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So no super tweeter required. However, I want to shift burden of producing above 4kHz from my fullrangers to tweeters.

That is already super tweeter territory in my book. You’ll still have a massive directivity mismatch at 4 kHz. The 15” starts beaming at below 1 kHz already.

peanuts

what you need is a big horn, if the xo is not right it will never sound good regardless of sinad. a 15" must be crossed over below 1khz in my book.

Top Bottom