• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loudspeaker measurement project

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Planning a loudspeaker measurement project to determine of there is any correlation between what we hear and how the loudspeaker measures.
http://www.puriteaudio.co.uk/blog

Keith

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Planning a loudspeaker measurement project to determine of there is any correlation between what we hear and how the loudspeaker measures.
http://www.puriteaudio.co.uk/blog
I'm still not sure what in-room measurements tell us. Is a perfectly flat frequency response a perfect speaker? If so, with DSP I can guarantee to give you a flat line, at least at a single point in space. Will it sound really good? Also, in an anechoic chamber I might be able to give you a flat line over a wider sweet spot. Ditto.

Phase is officially inaudible so that need not enter the equation.:)

Instead (not sure if I am stating something obvious that people already do), would there be any mileage in trying to establish the impulse response of the room - as measured using the speaker under test, removing the main impulse, and actually listening with headphones to music convolved with the reflections and reverberation only? In this way, the speaker's interaction with the room would be laid bare. An omnidirectional speaker would produce a much larger signal that would take longer to decay; a speaker with uneven dispersion would have a highly coloured characteristic; a highly directional speaker would not produce much signal at all. The new fangled cardioid speakers might obviously produce a much cleaner bass characteristic. Maybe it would help to make subtle sonic differences between speakers more obvious..?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Sounds like a plan, I will have to read up on exactly how, I just thought it might be interesting to see some plots from different loudspeakers where the room is a constant.
Keith

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Planning a loudspeaker measurement project

My first suggestion would be to figure out how to post your graphs so the text is legible.

5cac3a_8a6ab6e38e3d425fa64731ef7ef82028~mv2.png

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
How do you post yours, I just screen-shoted those,
Keith

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Select a window - then ALT-PrintScreen puts a copy of that window only (without the task bar at the bottom, or only a smaller window if it is not full screen) onto the clipboard, and then I just "paste" it here. Alternatively, I use the little "Snippy Tool" to select some area of interest for pasting. But this forum software is a bit unusual in allowing that action - direct paste of graphics.

More commonly, you have to save a picture somewhere and upload it or provide a URL. Maybe you have to do that on your blog site, I don't know.

If given a choice, I use PNG format. JPEG can be lossy/fuzzy on fine details.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
He is using a Mac Ray.

Keith, this forum makes it trivial to post pictures. As Ray mentioned you can just cut and paste into the browser window. In Windows you can also drag the image file into the post area and it will automatically upload it.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I used macs back when a PC still greeted me with "<".

However, once MSFT was able to greet me with a nice Teletubbies landscape I relenquished my monobutton mouse.

xp-teletubbies-720.jpg

A.wayne

Sounds like a plan, I will have to read up on exactly how, I just thought it might be interesting to see some plots from different loudspeakers where the room is a constant.
Keith

anechoic is much better in determining the sound of A speaker , you are looking at the pure response of the speaker not room issues ..

Next is the impedance curve and phase, important to look at , due to how amplifier sonics changes with load ...

Regards

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Just working on turning the dining room into an anechoic chamber as we speak, my wife has been frightfully understanding.
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Top Bottom