• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lots of clipping/popping during BR49 especially, AVR problem?

Nootmuskaatje

Hello! I've been lurking around here for a while for quality speaker reviews and otherr questions. This time I have my own which I can't figure out that well.

I bought new speakers because my dali spektors had the same problem during action movies at -15 to -20 dB on the avr. Now I think the AVR is the problem. Using yamaha rx-v485 with kef q150s, q650c, dali spektor 1s as surrounds and the pb1k pro sub. I haven't watched a marvel movie yet, which is where I noticed it occasionally. But BR49 had a LOT of clipping/popping noises. And Tenet had none of it, even at -20dB which was loud as hell.

Do I need one with more power, or could it even be faulty? Why does one movie has no problem at all, another a few pops, and then there's BR49 which was popping during at least half of the very loud scenes? The clipping happened in every speaker, only the subwoofer is where I haven't heard any trouble. I even noticed it at -25/27.5dB on BR49. I've found online that some people had the same issue specifically with the specific movie. Most I've seen were Yamaha, but there was someone with Denon as well.

And last question: am I damaging my new speakers with this?

OP
N

Nootmuskaatje

Another point, I just watched the old bladerunner. I could play it loud at -17,5dB with no struggle at all. If I really did the effort I think I could hear it a few times on the center, but that was barely audible compared to the distracting and loud popping/cracking at BR49.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
https://www.reddit.com/r/audioengineering/comments/7s3cji
Seems to be a known problem with that particular movie.

Your receiver does have a 6 Ohm minimum speaker requirement, which may be worsening the issue. A lot of speakers that are rated 8 Ohms actually dip much lower.

It is unlikely your speakers will be damaged by brief clipping. Continous clipping sends a lot more power to the voice coils, which overheats them.

OP
N

Nootmuskaatje

https://www.reddit.com/r/audioengineering/comments/7s3cji
Seems to be a known problem with that particular movie.

Your receiver does have a 6 Ohm minimum speaker requirement, which may be worsening the issue. A lot of speakers that are rated 8 Ohms actually dip much lower.

It is unlikely your speakers will be damaged by brief clipping. Continous clipping sends a lot more power to the voice coils, which overheats them.
Thanks! Yeah I found it a lot with others on BR49 specifically, maybe not the best to test if I still have trouble with it. I did have trouble with it with some series and Marvel as well, but that was before I changed speakers. I'll have to test those as well.

I do however get very annoyed by it when it happens. I guess it's safe to say the AVR is not faulty and just not powerful enough? I don't want to resell a damaged item. I'm going to buy a x3700h and be done with it I hope. I'll be going 5.2.4 in a few years anyway. I saw that some AVRs, like the one I'm planning to buy, have "4 ohm certified performance". I know my KEFs dip below 4 ohms. Could that be what causes the problem? My dali had the same problem though, and they had a better min impedance at about 5 ohm.

Top Bottom