• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking to upgrade from Campfire Solaris 2019

Wanc1

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my Campfire Solaris 2019. I would like to buy an over-ear headphone this time.
I like the sound signature of the Solaris. What headphones should I look into?
I'm currently thinking about Focal Clear OG, Clear MG.

Thanks

d2k5000

I used to own the original Solaris, and I liked it a lot. It is hard to beat for the price. As for over ear cans, I ended up purchasing the DC Audio Stealth. I listened to it at Canjam and ended up buying a demo model on the spot.

I don't have the Solaris to compare directly. I ended up loosing them. Ouch, still hurts to think about.

From what I remember, the Stealth might be a little more forward in the upper mids, but I think that both of them were pretty neutral. The stealth are not basshead cans, but they go pretty deep. They just sound very natural to me, and they sound remarkably open for closed can.

I realize that the DC stealth are not really in the same price bracket, but unfortunately I have never been impressed with focal closed cans. The Utopia sounded pretty good, but it was not my cup of tea.

If you want something more affordable, you might want to look at the HIFIMAN EDITION XS. I have not heard them yet, but the original EDITION X V2 was a favorite of mine. Bass was a little much on certain tracks, but it had a very relaxed, natural sound with a large, open soundstage. If the XS sounds close, they should be a bargain at $500.

Hope that helps

Top Bottom