• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking For High Fidelity Near Field Desktop Speakers

ctakim

Forum Donor
What is “sweetness in the vocal range”?

It is my poor attempt to describe how distinct vocal qualities seemed to stand out in the music I was listening to compared to what I heard with previous speakers. I was specifically thinking about an event yesterday where I was listening to some early '70s Elton John music and his voice sounded very clear and resonant. And he is not someone who I think has a great voice by any means. I hope I'm not venturing into dangerous territory by providing a very subjective description on ASR about what it is I like about my own speakers!

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
It is my poor attempt to describe how distinct vocal qualities seemed to stand out in the music I was listening to compared to what I heard with previous speakers. I was specifically thinking about an event yesterday where I was listening to some early '70s Elton John music and his voice sounded very clear and resonant. And he is not someone who I think has a great voice by any means. I hope I'm not venturing into dangerous territory by providing a very subjective description on ASR about what it is I like about my own speakers!

Totally fine. Everybody does that to some extent -- some more than others -- including myself. But it's better if one anchors one's subjective descriptions with something more objectively concrete: and so what one is comparing much more clearly relative to something else i.e. descriptions that can be looked at by others closer and checked in how it might relate to actual measurements -- if not of the speakers, then of the "transfer function" of the listening room/space itself. And if not the equipment and/or the listening space, then of the recording itself... and so on.

*and don't forget the psychoacoustics part.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also want wood veneer in my desktop speakers. Prefer actives that I can just plug into an iMac...

Ideas?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Dynaudio BM5 MKIII for the price I think you cant go wrong they are full sounding and 3D like they reaching to you in nearfield, and also no harshness you can listen to them all day long cheers
That post your replying to is 3 1/2 years old ;)

Top Bottom