• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for desktop computer "audiophile" speakers

I have the 8030. Very much worth it to go for Neumann or Genelecs and don't save here on cheaper speakers. Close to best buy ever for the money.
Hello! How do you get the sound from your PC to your Genelecs? I am trying to figure out which DAC to buy to keep the signal digital and avoid double conversion.

unpluggged

This statement makes no sense.
Sorry I wasn't clear. And possible I am just confused.
Well... 8330a has it owns DAC... it does have analog input option, but someone told me that 8330a would covert incoming analog with its DAC to produce speaker output, which would in effect be a double conversion.

Good:
PC -> USB out [digital signal] -> DAC [digital out via AES] -> genelec 8330a

Bad (i think)
PC->USB out [digital signal] -> DAC [analog signal out] -> genelec 8330a [which will convert the incoming analog with its built in DAC]

If I wrote anything incorrect or just plain dumb, pls let me know, just trying to learn and buy the appropriate stuff.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry I wasn't clear. And possible I am just confused.
Well... 8330a has it owns DAC... it does have analog input option, but someone told me that 8330a would covert incoming analog with its DAC to produce speaker output, which would in effect be a double conversion.
ADC, not DAC.
Good:
PC -> USB out [digital signal] -> DAC [digital out via AES] -> genelec 8330a

Bad (i think)
PC->USB out [digital signal] -> DAC [analog signal out] -> genelec 8330a [which will convert the incoming analog with its built in DAC]

If I wrote anything incorrect or just plain dumb, pls let me know, just trying to learn and buy the appropriate stuff.
Replace Good with Perfect and Bad with So good you won't here a difference. Noise and distortion created inside the speaker by its electronic and drivers is much higher than the losses by one AD/DA conversion.

Top Bottom