• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a new Audio Interface

Robin

Hi,

I am looking for a new audio interface for my home studio.
I am currently using the evo4 and a shure sm7b microphone and also a fethead.

I have chosen 3 products in my budget limit, but can't quite decide.
These are the ones:
Audient ID4 mk2
Motu M2
SSL2+

It is mainly used for rap vocals.
I am therefore not interested in connections for instruments or other microphones etc.
I also don't care about the included software or sample packs.
I'm mainly interested in the sound and recording quality under a Windows PC and a Shure Sm7 for vocals.

Does one device differ more than the other, or are they so similar that you can say why pay more money when you can get the same quality 1to1 with the audient id4 for significantly less money?

The Audient id4 mk2 is very affordable in Europe compared to the ssl2+ and motu m2. 70-100 euros cheaper.
I know that not everything that costs more is better, but somehow it makes you wonder why there is such a huge price difference compared to the other products, even though it is a newer product compared to the motu.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I'm mainly interested in the sound and recording quality under a Windows PC and a Shure Sm7 for vocals.
What's wrong with the sound now?

he main differences will be gain (presumably with the FetHead you've got enough gain) and noise (hum, hiss, or whine in the background).

The most important things are usually your studio space and the microphone (and your performance). With a microphone most of the difference is frequency response and that can be tweaked with EQ. (Antares even makes software to make one mic sound like another.)

Noise is tricky because there are different ways of measuring it so you can't always compare specs, and with USB powered interfaces you sometimes get noise through the USB power so the computer can make a difference and some interfaces are more immune to that noise than others. Usually USB power noise is a whine, so if you're getting whine an interface with its own separate power supply should help.

The SM7B seems to be popular as a podcast/broadcast mic, but most recording studio mics are large diaphragm condenser mics. I'm not saying you shouldn't use the Shure, but a different mic would give you a "different" sound if that's what you're looking for. With a condenser you wouldn't need the FetHead (and it wouldn't work with a condenser because it doesn't pass-through phantom power.)

OP
R

Robin

I've tried a few microphones over the last few years. From the Neumann TLM 103 to the more affordable AT 2035. After years of trial and error, I decided on the Shure sm7b because I feel that my voice sounds best with this microphone and it also suits my voice best.

I've been using the evo 4 for about 2 years, because it was cheap at the time and everyone was full of praise for Audient products.
However, I was never really happy with the evo 4.
I don't know how to describe it, but the recordings somehow sound very thin, weak and artificial to me with the evo. I think it's much more of an interface for a podcast than for vocals. I previously had a very inexpensive entry-level interface and I have the feeling that the recordings were much better with it and you could simply get more out of it afterwards when mixing.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
iD4 MkII and SSL 2(+) would be good candidates for an SM7B, they've got very low EIN. Both have more gain to offer than the EVO 4, the SSL in particular would essentially make the Fethead redundant. The M2 has a healthy amount of gain with good EIN but apparently suffers from increased input distortion when monitoring with headphones, which is a potential no-go.

The iD4 realistically is a 1x2 class interface, the SSL 2 is an actual 2x2. Moreover, the SSL 2+ has some additional I/O including MIDI. So you kind of do you what you pay for.

The Audients have a tendency to reset their encoder-controlled levels, which wouldn't happen with the conventional monitor level knob on the SSLs. In return, the Audient has the fancier converters, although the SSL's AKM codec still is more than decent and practical performance is good on both.

Top Bottom