• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Line output requirements

rar133

I have an Atom Amp and a couple of headphones( he400i + bayerdynamics custom studio) plus my studio monitors. all this was driven by the fiio k3

i wanted to buy the Fiio Q5s for 2 things.... 1. as my portable dac/amp as it can power both my headphones easily & 2. as my desktop solution to plug into the atom through the line out.

my question:
1. the specs say line out at 1.8vrms. is this enough to send enough signal for the atom amp? considering i will have a lot of headroom on the atom.
2. is it better to send the audio signal to the q5s through coax/optical or USB?
3. is the lineout on the q5s a line out or a pre out?

thanks in advance.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I have an Atom Amp and a couple of headphones( he400i + beyerdynamics custom studio)

i wanted to buy the Fiio Q5s for 2 things.... 1. as my portable dac/amp as it can power both my headphones easily & 2. as my desktop solution to plug into the atom through the line out.

my question:
1. the specs say line out at 1.8vrms. is this enough to send enough signal for the atom amp? considering i will have a lot of headroom on the atom.

Yes, is fine.

2. is it better to send the audio signal to the q5s through coax/optical or USB?

When you hear strange noises that should not be there when connected via USB then try optical or when only optical or coax is available as a source.
Otherwise USB will be best.

3. is the lineout on the q5s a line out or a pre out?

It is the same thing when the volume is turned up in case the out function is pre-out.
Looking at the specs I would conclude that the line out is not a pre-out.

Last edited:
OP
R

rar133

Yes, is fine.

When you hear strange noises that should not be there when connected via USB then try optical or when only optical or coax is available as a source.
Otherwise USB will be best.

It is the same thing when the volume is turned up in case the out function is pre-out.
Looking at the specs I would conclude that the line out is not a pre-out.

thanks!! so the 1.8vrms should not be a limiting factor then. in this case i might just get the q5s as my everyday dac (at least when i want my headphones). for my monitors i'll just connect to the pc as they are active.

do you think the M11 dap could serve the same function or would using a DAP for this purpose be over the top. i.e. using the DAP as a pure dac mode with line out ?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
If you also need a DAP the M11 will be good.
When you just need a DAC/amp and have no need for the player functionality the Q5S might be the most logical choice.

OP
R

rar133

If you also need a DAP the M11 will be good.
When you just need a DAC/amp and have no need for the player functionality the Q5S might be the most logical choice.

Well honestly the main purpose is drive my he400i on mobile and 80% hooked up to the atom at home for the dac part. The DAP functionality could actually be a convenience factor, tidal on my bed with pc off and phone charging elsewhere
And the M11 has higher vrms on LO. Yep i think that if it can function as a desktop dac I'm buying it
(honestly, it's just im at my fiance during confinement with just the k3 and im bored. The M11 is the only thing i can order locally and get delivered at my door)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The M11 = 0.7dB 'louder' on the line-out.

Top Bottom