• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can I use these DAC/AMP units as standalone DACs ?

LegionOfHell

I have the following DAC/AMPs:
  • Creative X7
  • Creative G6
  • FX-Audio DAC-X6 MKII
  • Zorloo ZuperDac
And the following standalone DACs:
  • JDS Labs Atom DAC+
  • S.M.S.L SU1
I am a n00b when it comes to audio science so consider that when answering me.

I want to use my DAC/Amp units as standalone DACS. I want to pair them with my Schiit Heresy and Liquid Spark headphone amps.

Do the signals for line-outs/audio-outs on my DAC/AMPs go through the headphone amp circuits of the units ?

When using the line-outs/audio-outs, are the signals directly sent to the line-outs/audio-outs or do they go through the headphone amp circuits and then the line-outs/audio-outs ?
(A signal that is outputted through the headphone jack goes through the "headphone amp circuit")

Can someone explain ?

in other words when using the USB inputs on my DAC/AMPs, which one of the following scenarios is correct:

1. USB-in -->USB receiver chip --> DAC chip --> Line-Out/Audio-Out
  2. USB-in -->USB receiver chip --> DAC chip --> Headphone Amp Circuit --> Line-Out/Audio-Out
Do all of my DAC/AMPs work like (1) or do they work like (2) ? Can somebody check ?

if they work like (2), Aren't the signals degraded when they go through the headphone amp circuits ? (amplification degrades the signal?)

When using my DAC/AMPs as standalone DACs, what volume should I set my DAC/AMPs to in windows ?

in general, Do standalone DACs perform better than the DAC sections of DAC/AMPs ?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
USB-in -->USB receiver chip --> DAC chip --> Headphone Amp Circuit --> Line-Out/Audio-Out
#2 is the way.
if they work like (2), Aren't the signals degraded when they go through the headphone amp circuits ? (amplification degrades the signal?)
Theoretically the sound is degraded a tiny bit but it is very small and otherwise how would you get more power if not using a headphone amp?
Do standalone DACs perform better than the DAC sections of DAC/AMPs ?
Usually the DAC-AMPs have slightly lesser DAC ICs but again the differences is tiny tiny.

OP
LegionOfHell

LegionOfHell

#2 is the way.
Theoretically the sound is degraded a tiny bit but it is very small and otherwise how would you get more power if not using a headphone amp?
But how about DACs like the E30II and Atom DAC+ ? they don't have a headphone amp circuit ?

The outputted signal through line-out should be around 2Vrms ? What is the Vrms right after the DAC chip's analog outs ?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The outputted signal through line-out should be around 2Vrms ? What is the Vrms right after the DAC chip's analog outs ?
The voltage output of a DAC varies according to the designers parameters and the IC used. There is no fixed voltage level for all DACs.

Top Bottom