• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

'Line 6 POD Go' - Looking to buy first guitar

SK123

Hello,
I needed a little help again :). I am looking to buy my very first (electric) guitar, and was planning to learn it using internet tutorials.

In my research I found their's a whole world of digital effects available now, that are nearly as good as the actual pedal effects. Therefore, I dont need a physical guitar amp or pedal effects?

I also need an audio interface with a good DAC, so I am assuming for its price POD-Go must be a great DAC as well for my studio monitors? If I dont need pedal effects since not looking to buy guitar amp, I guess any audio interface would do? (Scarlett, Motu M2 etc)

Please also inform, can I play guitar live using the interface (including POD-Go) and monitors or can it only be done on a guitar amp? (for practice purposes)

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
You will need a physical amp and pedal effects.

Just maybe not right away.

Feargal

If you're beginning then I wouldn't personally recommend going to separate effects pedal route as it can be rather expensive. Maybe a few to start with if you're that way inclined.
I did have a Line 6 HD 500 multi effects unit once and it was hideously complicated, so I ended up barely using it. This can be a bit of an issue with all effects - you end up fiddling and trying to understand the electronics at the expense of actually learning the guitar!
I use a much cheaper Zoom G1X Four for practice (using headphones) and it's great, though I tend to use just the presets, the inbuilt metronome and (less often) the looper for practice.
As for connectivity - you're usually limited to a TRS type plug inputs/output so this can make things complicated with audio gear.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I miss my CryBaby.

Don't know how you'd operate a wahwah via GUI while you play.

1597504076187.png

Feargal

G1X Four does have the expression pedal though. I have to admit I don't use that very often though! Useful for volume swells too - e.g. intro to Xanadu by Rush.

1597504530664.png

OP
S

SK123

I use a much cheaper Zoom G1X Four for practice (using headphones) and it's great, though I tend to use just the presets, the inbuilt metronome and (less often) the looper for practice.
As for connectivity - you're usually limited to a TRS type plug inputs/output so this can make things complicated with audio gear.

I needed a good quality DAC as well, like people suggest here for jbl 305s, just needed to inquire if POD-Go, or something else in that price range would also have a great quality DAC - like mid tier, instead of entry level/basic stuff.

But for learning guitars, if I dont need effect pedals right away (for 1 -2 yrs), than I guess any basic audio interface would be fine as long as I can connect my guitar as well as monitors (bal) to my PC.

RayDunzl - Wouldn't be the pedal that already comes with one of these multi-effect boards considered a wah-wah pedal?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
RayDunzl - Wouldn't be the pedal that already comes with one of these multi-effect boards considered a wah-wah pedal?

I suppose.

I didn't consider the "add-on hardware to operate the software" aspect.

dzello

You only need a modeling pedal and speaker to plug it. I have a Zoom MS-50g and it sounds really good (same chip as the G1x). Many pro bands play live with no amp at all: they all use AxeFx, Helix or Kemper.

You can also use your laptop, a guitar interface and a modeling software like Amplitube or Bias FX.

OP
S

SK123

Hi,
I searched around this website for discussion about the interface Zoom UAC-2 but couldn't find anything, while Motu m2 is quite famous. Was wondering if anyone would know M2 vs Zoom UAC-2? That would be Sabre 32 DAC vs AKM AK4396, and UAC 2 is about $80 higher than M2. Thanks.

Top Bottom