• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Limits of Current Amplifier (PA) Tests

chris256

Threads like this one show the limits of the tests currently carried out on PAs, because they are simply too magnifying and ignore one or the other parameter.

What is the goal of a PA? Quite simple really: it should make a weak input signal usable for a loudspeaker. Technically speaking, it is an impedance converter: energy is added to the input signal. Of course, the whole thing should be linear (= neutral at the end of the day). The impedance converter should not add anything under all real existing conditions and of course not remove anything either (here the input as well as the output interface has to be considered).

As simple as the requirement sounds - as complicated is the technical implementation.

From my point of view, the current tests only provide a statement as to whether a PA meets the minimum requirements with regard to linearity. Or to put it another way: Below these requirements, one must assume in any case that the signal is audibly altered. But they do not allow any final conclusion as to whether the PA is actually neutral. The existing measurements are the view with the magnifying glass on individual special parameters, which can be measured more or less easily today.

I miss the overall picture that results from the sum of several smaller errors / deviations, which can then finally lead to audibility under certain conditions (the conditions in the real world are highly diverse and complex).

From my point of view, the following tests would help much more to evaluate a PA in a resilient way:
The test should "simply" compare different complex input signals or even quite real signals with the output signal and show their difference (i.e., gain and phase are subtracted linearly). In this way it is made visible what the PA "adds". Ideally, the difference is 0. The whole thing of course at some different interface conditions (keyword capacitance, inductance and resistance). The whole naturally also with many different volumes.

For comparison of two PAs e.g.:
E2E test: the two real generated results at the output of the same loudspeaker (recorded via microphone) are superimposed and the difference is formed. If both PAs are "neutral", the difference must be 0 at this point. However, it is highly unlikely that this will be the case (But I would like to be convinced otherwise). Ideally, this E2E comparison is done with a few very different loudspeakers (to finally show potentially different behavior of the same PA at different loudspeakers).

What is the big advantage of an E2E test: Due to the additional influences of room and transducer (both of which are not error-free either), existing deviations, even small ones that are considered irrelevant, are further amplified under unfavorable circumstances, so that they do become audible at the end of the day.

Tests like this would help shed more light on the matter.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
This is wrong.

An amplifier is an electrical device and can be fully measured using electrical measurement devices. You can use a real world speaker as a load, if you want.

The background noise in a room is vastly higher than the noise an amplifier creates, so your proposed approach is low quality.

If you move anything in the room (including yourself or the microphone or wires) you will get different results.

Level matching is essential, but almost impossible using a microphone.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The thread you linked actually shows the limits of improper simple listening comparisons. There was no level matching. SIN number one of listening comparisons.

Not sure what E2E stands for exactly. You are making another mistake. Your test could monitor signals at the speaker input posts. No need for a microphone as there is too much interference to get any useful results. The speaker outputs follow inputs. So differences there will be differences in outputs and we can skip the microphone.

A power amp adds power, it is more than an impedance converter.

Most of the tests have validity without complicating things the way you are asking. It comes from thinking something is missed in the testing. Good thorough testing doesn't leave room for much though it isn't perfect. It is pretty good.

You are also assuming there is more light to be shed. I'm of the opinion there is not. Listening tests of power amps would uncover audible concerns. Of course those are even more difficult to do. What few have been done don't indicate power amps of a certain threshold of performance being audible.

OP
C

chris256

The background noise in a room is vastly higher than the noise an amplifier creates, so your proposed approach is low quality.
The noise is just one relevant parameter. You are simplifying too much. You don't take phase differences into account, e.g. and the resulting phenomena in real world.
Listening tests of power amps would uncover audible concerns.
Each listening test is highly subjective. I want objective measurements - E2E-measurements to end all those religious discussions.

AltoVariago

Blind tests with level matching. Let’s start to demonstrate scientifically that between two amps there is an audible difference.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The noise is just one relevant parameter. You are simplifying too much. You don't take phase differences into account, e.g. and the resulting phenomena in real world.

Each listening test is highly subjective. I want objective measurements - E2E-measurements to end all those religious discussions.
Blind listening tests are not subjective in the way uncontrolled non-level matched listening comparisons are.

There already are objective measures anyway that do what you want them to do. You appear to be influenced by continued belief in sound differences from flawed listening impressions being pervasive.

Again if the output from a speaker is different, by definition the input to the speaker was different. You can do any kind of measures you like at the speaker input posts and avoid the complications of using a microphone. This could include using music and recording the results to do difference tests where you subtract one from the other to find any real signal differences.

Geert

Major Contributor

Phase in 'the real world' is all over the place. That's mainly because of room acoustics and has nothing to do with the amplifier. We also know that even without room acoustics at play, phase differences, except for the extreme low end, are inaudible.

From the different comments you received it's clear it' s not the measurements that are lacking. The test protocol is build on a scientific understanding of what matters. These things are not always intuïtive.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Threads like this one show the limits of the tests currently carried out on PAs, because they are simply too magnifying and ignore one or the other parameter.

To me that thread shows the perils of trying to rely on uncontrolled subjective anecdote to draw meaningful conclusions.
The fact that you took all that to mean you need to start a new thread to further explore what must be missing just illustrates the importance of getting the fundamentals right.

Well, subjective tests are going to be...subjective.

The key is in using appropriate controls, then all that anecdote becomes evidence to be discussed, not another story to be dismissed.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
The test should "simply" compare different complex input signals or even quite real signals with the output signal and show their difference (i.e., gain and phase are subtracted linearly).
OMG NO-ONE EVER THOUGHT OF THIS!!!! Not only does the software to do this exist (@pkane has written a newer version than the long-used DiffMaker), it's been used again and again. And guess what? It shows nothing mysterious.

Please come back with data instead of poorly informed handwaving.

D

Deleted member 21219

You seem to be searching for scientific methodology to support your lack of scientific understanding. It doesn't work that way.

Controlled inquiry shows which information is applicable to the matter at hand. It also shows which information is NOT applicable to the matter at hand. A comprehensive examination shows us which hypotheses are supported .... but it also shows us which hypotheses are NOT supported.

Logic and discipline support accuracy more than many subjectivists suppose.

Jim

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
The background noise in a room is vastly higher than the noise an amplifier creates, so your proposed approach is low quality
The noise is just one relevant parameter. You are simplifying too much. You don't take phase differences into account, e.g. and the resulting phenomena in real world
Please pay attention. Noise is one of the most critical aspects of media playback. If you've seen a miss-tuned TV with lots of noise, you will understand why. The most noisy thing in your playback chain is the noise in your room. It's perhaps 10x or more noiser than your power amplifier. You can NOT measure a power amplifier's noise characteristics in a room using a microphone. So your test fails before you even start.

Then, as others have pointed out, if you have some novel theory about phase, try moving your head or the microphone to the left by 20mm!

OP
C

chris256

Ok, it turns out what can be read overall: phase deviation is something pretty complicated and therefore many people don't understand it and therefore don't want to care.

Simply speaking:
Each device needs some time to process a signal (like a sine e.g.). If you have an ideal linear system, all frequencies need the same time to be processed and therefore are leaving the device at the same time +x. No problem there.
But: an amplifier e.g. isn't an ideal linear system as it is de facto a low pass filter. Therefore, the time for passing the device differs for different frequencies. Those differences are vital for the sound stage e.g.

Therefore: what I'm missing is a graph delay vs frequency e.g.

Here you can get the background:

All about sound and hearing (german)
Some theory (german)
Some more theory
Video

And for those who still negate the problem: here you can hear it with your own ears:
Practical with examples

What does this mean if one amplifier is compared to another one: they might sound equal if they have same usually measured values - but they might sound different, if they differ in group delay, which usually is not measured.
That's why I want to see for each device the information about the group delay.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
What does this mean if one amplifier is compared to another one: they might sound equal if they have same usually measured values - but they might sound different, if they differ in group delay, which usually is not measured.
OK, you can now do some mathematics:
  • Take an amplifier which is a low-pass device with a -3dB point at 100kHz
  • Calculate the difference in time between 20Hz and 20kHz
  • Assuming the speed of sound is 300m/s, what is the distance between the front of the waveform at 20Hz and the waveform at 20kHz?
Design a comfortable clamp to hold your head extremely steady whilst listening to music. Design clamps to ensure your pinnae are held at the same angles.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, it turns out what can be read overall: phase deviation is something pretty complicated and therefore many people don't understand it and therefore don't want to care.

Simply speaking:
Each device needs some time to process a signal (like a sine e.g.). If you have an ideal linear system, all frequencies need the same time to be processed and therefore are leaving the device at the same time +x. No problem there.
But: an amplifier e.g. isn't an ideal linear system as it is de facto a low pass filter. Therefore, the time for passing the device differs for different frequencies. Those differences are vital for the sound stage e.g.

Therefore: what I'm missing is a graph delay vs frequency e.g.

Here you can get the background:

All about sound and hearing (german)
Some theory (german)
Some more theory
Video

And for those who still negate the problem: here you can hear it with your own ears:
Practical with examples

Unless your amp has some crazy coincident pole/zero pairs in its response, its phase will look like a bandpass filter. I think you're getting obsessive about nothing tangible.

OP
C

chris256

OK, you can now do some mathematics:
I want to see facts - not theory. I want to know what the device does in practice - and not in theory. A DAC based on the same ESS chip eg. should be always measured the same in theory - but reality shows, that there are differences.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have never seen reality show any such thing.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Before you get much traction here, you'll have to show us measurements demonstrating that some amp does not follow minimum phase like a bandpass filter.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
I want to see facts - not theory.
Make the facts yourself. Prove that there is a significant phenomenon that you can experience in a normal room and a listener breathing in and out (and so changing their head position by a few mm)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Please provide one specific example of an actual amplifier sounding different because of group delay. One.

Top Bottom