• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

VintageFlanker

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You'd be surprised.

There is a large audience, who believes that HiFi audio is largely art.
Fine. Yet, what kind of "art" is that ?
Tek.png

Reminds me this...
spider-eyes.webp

gwing

Forum Donor
This is true when compared to the UK where the defendant must prove the truth of his statements. In the US the plaintiff must prove the statement was false. However, the US allows contingency fees which tend to encourage litigation. There is actually a US statute which provides US courts will not recognize foreign defamation judgments when the foreign jurisdiction has laws inconsistent with the US first amendment protection of freedom of speech. Congress had the UK in mind when this was enacted.
I can't speak for other countries but I should perhaps correct the misinformation here. The law here in the UK is more like that you describe for the US: It is up to the plaintiff to make their case, there is no obligation on the defendant to prove anything although obviously it can help to do so.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't speak for other countries but I should perhaps correct the misinformation here. The law here in the UK is more like that you describe for the US: It is up to the plaintiff to make their case, there is no obligation on the defendant to prove anything although obviously it can help to do so.
Same in Canada. :D

doug s.

You'd be surprised.

There is a large audience, who believes that HiFi audio is largely art. They believe that different amp with linear frequency response can somehow give you more "air" and "opens up the soundstage."

These people believe that "pure analog" is holy and that cables makes enough of a difficult that even their wives can hear it from the kitchen.
yes. but these people should actually be reassured by erin's review, as he seemed to like the sound of the speaker at its price point, in spite of less than great measurements. so, while they may like eric's "art", many will still be put off by his actions.

doug s.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
View attachment 362098
I would need meds if I had to look at this. This is the "more is more" and size matters school of speaker design.

That’s setting off my trypophobia, I had a jigga fly larvae pulled out of my thigh after a trip to Zimbabwe and the sight of those is making me itch.

and another thing…

I notice a pattern appearing here, of the two companies I can name beginning with the letter T , both the owners are petulant children ;)

Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Yes, having a hole all the way through is fine as long as the buyer knows they need to be plugged.
The feet look terrible to me(even given the speakers fugly style) and many, many stands would not be large enough for all 4 fixed feet locations to be on the stands top.
Listening it was obvious something was wrong as each hole chuffed with certain notes. But it still took me awhile to figure it out and had to buy threaded inserts for a flush seal.

100% my thought at the time was the 'manual' should state these holes need to be plugged and they definetly should also include threaded inserts with Allen heads for a hidden look.
With my typical DIY approach I figured it out and was fine. But many buyers could not.

I see alot of pictures of Tekton brand monitors not being used with the feet. Are folks not hearing the noises?

I had similar experience (and posted in the other thread I think) after buying an ex- demo pair of speakers that turned out to have a bolt missing. I certainly heard it. The dealer provided the missing bolt, without a fuss.

Erin certainly should measure again, as the audible resonances will show on FR and THD to some degree. And he’s doing so, which means conflict is superfluous. The overall sonic character of the speakers won’t change much really. Tekton could have resolved that issue without aggro of course. Resorting to same is poor form, as people have noticed.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Curious, has the applicable standard changed since the late 1990s? When I was an undergrad a professor at my school wrote a book about Holocaust deniers, and one of them sued her and her publisher for libel in the UK. She had to prove the truth of the statements in her book - and did -to prevail.

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Streisand effect incoming.

Perhaps an effective strategy would be to get as many audio consumers as possible to email the company stating they'll never buy from someone who sues honest reviewers.

I'd never heard of the company before today, and i have to say i would never ever buy one their products just from browsing their website. Their products look horrendous!

Last edited:

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
yes. but these people should actually be reassured by erin's review, as he seemed to like the sound of the speaker at its price point, in spite of less than great measurements. so, while they may like eric's "art", many will still be put off by his actions.

doug s.
While agree with you on logic, a person who buys a cable for hundreds of dollars believing that it will increase soundstage don't go by logic.

douede

Interesting review about the Tekton Double Impact Be.....Lots of sophistication for an average result.....

Extract: "Every time I put the Tektons back they just continued to sound too hard with no richness of color and again a total lack of overall bass..."
=>So, Eric Alexander sued the site/guy ? ...

Last edited:

radix

Major Contributor
Curious, has the applicable standard changed since the late 1990s? When I was an undergrad a professor at my school wrote a book about Holocaust deniers, and one of them sued her and her publisher for libel in the UK. She had to prove the truth of the statements in her book - and did -to prevail.

My understanding (at least in California) is that the main defense against a libel suit is "truth." The plaintiff must show that the defamatory statements are false or misleading. The defendant would likely want to also present a case why they are true, though I think the burden is on the plaintiff to explain why they are false. So clearly both parties would want to make a case. I'm not a lawyer, I just play one on forums.

lordhumungous

My understanding (at least in California) is that the main defense against a libel suit is "truth." The plaintiff must show that the defamatory statements are false or misleading. The defendant would likely want to also present a case why they are true, though I think the burden is on the plaintiff to explain why they are false. So clearly both parties would want to make a case. I'm not a lawyer, I just play one on forums.
Doesn’t the plaintiff also have to prove in the libel suit that it was done with “malice” ? These are very difficult cases to win from my understanding.

the intent is irrelevant with defamation, in the UK, except that is a potential defence when something is made as an obvious joke, eg. political satire.

The strongest defence is that it is a subjective view is an opinion, which is fine, and measurements are truth, which is also fine.

Axo1989

Major Contributor

Unless I’ve missed it (always possible) we have Erin asking for legal advice but no presentation of documents from lawyers acting for Tekton? Likely it’s merely bluster from that party, and a storm in a teacup.

Top Bottom