• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting review about the Tekton Double Impact Be.....Lots of sophistication for an average result.....

Dunno about the sonics, but in terms of aesthetics, wow do those pictures ever shout "you get what you pay for." Many speakers don't compete with the Focal speakers for looks, but the Tekton speakers...yikes!

carpman

I'd avoid the legal action method and simply have ASR write an open letter stating that unless the company back off and allow Erin to publish his review, ASR will simply encourage its members to boycott the company and start a wider campaign to boycott all audio companies that sue reviewers for publishing their measurements. Just turn it into a PR nightmare for Tekton (and a warning to others) -- afterall it speaks volumes if an audio company will sue to keep potential customers from seeing objective measurements of their gear.

C.

Jaxjax

If I had anything Tekton in my house after the review here & now this, it would already be tossed in my field, smashed with my tractor bucket & in a burn pile on fire. Beyond the legal funding which Erin may need. I think Sal had good insight on what would work...

D

Deleted member 27254

I can send you the written review from his website and there are screenshots of what Eric commented under the video
Cool, I'd appreciate it. Share them here, in fact; that way we can all learn what the truth is.

I assume those comment of Alexander's include the alleged legal threats, so we can see verbatim what was said?

Thank you!

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I can see Tekton's feet attachment method making sense. Let me explain:

To attach a removable foot, you can have a threaded insert in the cabinet with a hole that goes only partway through bottom of the cabinet, or you can have a threaded insert with a hole that goes all the way through the bottom of the cabinet. The latter allows the use of a stronger type of threaded insert. (And yes, I realize there are other possibilities.)

If the hole only goes partway through the bottom of the cabinet, your choices of feet are limited to feet with posts that do not "bottom out" against the material beyond the end of the hole. But the cabinet is airtight without the feet being installed.

If the hole goes through-and-through, not only do you have a wider range of feet choices, but you also probably have a stronger attachment for the feet. And if you wanted to bolt the speaker to the top of a stand so that it couldn't be toppled off the stand, the through-and-through hole configuration makes that simpler (you don't need to get the bolt length exactly right) and probably more secure (the kind of threaded insert that has a metal "lip" on the inside of the cabinet is much stronger than the kind that merely relies on teeth that grab into the sides of the hole for the threaded insert.)

This has nothing to do with the primary issue this thread is about, but imo the foot attachment method is not something Tekton "got wrong".

I thought about this because it sounds like the kind of thing you sometimes find on PA speakers intended for pole mount. But in general those are clearly intended for pole mount, and even then, IIRC they come with threaded plugs.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
For those of you who want a bit more background, members were good to take some snapshots of now deleted video:

index.php

As you see, Tekton claims to have their own measurements but do not post them for anyone to see and examine. Note also how Erin was proper and pinned his answer to the comment section of the video so it shows up on top.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For those of you who want a bit more background, members were good to take some snapshots of now deleted video:

index.php

As you see, Tekton claims to have their own measurements but do not post them for anyone to see and examine. Note also how Erin was proper and pinned his answer to the comment section of the video so it shows up on top.
Let alone that they took it out of production for an "invalid" review? Or did he figure he had some work to do first?

bmwr75

Guess I should have threatened to sue Tekton when after waiting 6+ months for them to send me grills that actually fit the Tekton Impact Monitors they shipped me. Finally called them and complained, they offered to immediately refund what was paid for the grills. Took their offer because it appeared they never intended to send grills that fit, got excuse after excuse why they had not made and shipped them.

Palladium

Guess I should have threatened to sue Tekton when after waiting 6+ months for them to send me grills that actually fit the Tekton Impact Monitors they shipped me. Finally called them and complained, they offered to immediately refund what was paid for the grills. Took their offer because it appeared they never intended to send grills that fit, got excuse after excuse why they had not made and shipped them.

I believe the reason is "the Chinese OEMs they tried to find for that aren't interested in small orders and especially not from cheapskates".

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In 24 years of sales and service of audio gear we had several broken grills and not one was replaced. We actually took grills off and left them in the boxes for some models.

ExUnoPlura

Forum Donor
This going to be my second request to @amirm to write that book, already!
I'm working on a satirical novel that covers much of this ground, from the obsessive spenders and tweakers to the marketing machines embedded in online communities. Lovely getting new material, though sad that Erin has to lead the way.

Trouble Maker

I, for one, appreciate the heads up for a room I won’t need to visit at AXPONA next week.
Everyone who goes to AXPONA should go to Tektons room. Tell Tekton why they will never buy a speaker from them. Or better yet wait until the demo is in full swing and interrupt it to tell them.

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
Speaking of missing Tekton Speaker grills (and kids)......I remembered reading something a few years ago written by Eric Alexander, owner Tekton Audio. Grills are mentioned in the next to last paragraph.

From the last paragraph...

I truly love what I do with a passion, but more importantly, maintaining personal integrity is my highest priority.

Could have fooled me.

Pareto Pragmatic

A legal fund is a good idea, if only to deter intimidation attempts.

Tekton has done more damage to themselves by the threat than any review would do. Streisand effect kicks in.

IANAL, but if they sue... discovery. I assume that would include ALL communication they have ever had with any reviewer. Do they want that? Discovery is a big reason these threats are rarely followed by a lawsuit. A single request from a lawyer (not a lot of work or billable hours) means days of document collection (lots of work, time, and money). Plus dirty little secrets get exposed.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Out of curiosity, not being a lawyerin' type...

Doesn't this go both ways? In principle, could a reviewer sue a company that claimed the reviewer was incompetent or in error or engaging in impropriety, where that company's claims turn out to be unsupported?

Frankly I think it's bogus either way and I absolutely hate the hyper-litigious atmosphere in the USA. But..just wondering.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Out of curiosity, not being a lawyerin' type...

Doesn't this go both ways? In principle, could a reviewer sue a company that claimed the reviewer was incompetent or in error or engaging in impropriety, where that company's claims turn out to be unsupported?

Frankly I think it's bogus either way and I absolutely hate the hyper-litigious atmosphere in the USA. But..just wondering.
Of course that seems plausible. It would require some solid evidence or abuse of the courts.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Seems very unusual for a civil proceeding.
Discovery is standard in civil proceedings here. It's part of the "give lawyers a whole lotta money before you ever even get a chance to be in front of a judge."

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
That is used for divorces here in Canada. Seems very unusual for a civil proceeding. But USA laws are so different than here when it comes to civil and criminal matters.

That's how you find out what you are up against, and when the lawyers get the big retainer.

Top Bottom