• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

Hiten

I have built multiple larger platforms that I screw on top of Klippel to handle larger speakers. Otherwise you risk them toppling off. I am sure Erin is doing the same but don't know if this specific speaker needed one. If so, then they would have essentially been sealed during measurements.
Yes. But the review has been taken off so I doubt if comparison would be possible. A clarification from Erin about how the speaker was measured would be helpful.
Actually the speaker should have been designed in such way that even if feet are removed the enclouser volume should be same. As company doesn't know how the customer will be using the speakers as most have differnt need, room, position etc.
regards.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This was posted as relevant over at Audioholics recalling a similar incident from 2008 against Blue Jeans Cable by Monster Cable. It is genuinely fun to read.
I gortta say, that makes me want to go buy some Blue Jeans Cables.

Rick “just gets better and better” Denney

Golfx

Forum Donor
I gortta say, that makes me want to go buy some Blue Jeans Cables.

Rick “just gets better and better” Denney
Blue Jeans is a small quality company that verifies its cables accuracy. Amazon has presented a forum for the lowest priced cables to compete with one another without any surety that the original suppliers are offering consistent quality. One batch can work fine but the next may not.

I like this article from Blue Jeans regarding network cables.
After reading that, I reordered all my network cables from them to support my Kscape system. Each cable batch came with a verified test sheet.

Last edited:

jimroge

This is why I mentioned earlier that it's very difficult to disrupt the speaker industry. It's a conservative industry, especially the high-end speakers refuse to be tested by any individuals, they only allow the results to be published in controlled journals so that they can sell high prices. Besides, they have a well-established legal department, which makes it very difficult for any individual to fight against them and ultimately compromise.
You only have to fight and spend money for representation if it goes to court. My point was it will never get there. It is a scare tactic but has no legal teeth.

p.trianon

I really like the no nonsense/high value Blue Jeans cables. Especially how they ultrasonically weld the speakers cables to the termination instead of just locking screws.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there such thing as bad publicity?
You bet. Just ask Audi, whose presence in the US market was almost destroyed by unintended acceleration reports that were later disproved. That bad publicity cost the hundreds of millions. The 60 Minutes story on that was devoid of data or sensible engineering analysis, as I recall.

Rick “owned an Audi at the time” Denney

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You bet. Just ask Audi, whose presence in the US market was almost destroyed by unintended acceleration reports that were later disproved. That bad publicity cost the hundreds of millions. The 60 Minutes story on that was devoid of data or sensible engineering analysis, as I recall.

Rick “owned an Audi at the time” Denney
You owned an Audi then? You're old! :)

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't explored the various subjectivist/religious/magical thinking forums, but I'd not be surprised if there was some profound circling of the wagons and, "Well, just to spite the objectivist scum, I'm going to buy $20k in speakers from Tekton today. The microdetails will be magnified by my $10k power cord."

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like Gene has a few thoughts.

That's another great call for support. But what I found most striking, is that he also had several similar instances of threat of litigation from manufacturers. Earlier on in the thread, I was joking that I thanked Tekton for exposing this industry practice, but from what I hear now, it seems that it's not just a joke, it's ubiquitous, and the industry is getting away with it, at least until now.

Haint

The unfortunate side is that in the podcast above, some were wishy washy about publishing non-positive reviews. My thought is that if one wants to be an “influencer” one must take the risk of suffering inconvenience when speaking the truth. Any professional with integrity must assume that risk, otherwise do not choose to be an “influencer.” One has to earn that by having integrity as Amir who has not caved into deranged threats.

There's nothing "wishy washy", they flat out state multiple times they don't post negative reviews cause they pre-screen them with the manufacturers, who of course tell them to shelf it.

AaronJ

I wrote it maybe 15 pages ago, but I think people here are underestimating the number of consumers who are going to sympathize with Tekton's unhinged owner. To rational people it would seem this should doom a company. Not going to draw out the obvious parallels in U.S. politics, but Tekton may actually come out stronger as a result of this even though it will never actually get to litigation or resolution.

coonmanx

Over at Audio Karma there finally came the ASR bashing, calling all of us "group think". I find that hilarious and frankly it is one of the reasons I no longer participate over there. I actually think it is quite the opposite here. This is just one audio forum where we discuss all things audio with a tilt toward objective measurements. But hey, if you have to bash someone else to feel better about yourself... that is pretty weak.

And frankly, one of the reasons that this particular topic is gaining traction on the webs is exactly because of the discussion here.

BeeKay

I wrote it maybe 15 pages ago, but I think people here are underestimating the number of consumers who are going to sympathize with Tekton's unhinged owner. To rational people it would seem this should doom a company. Not going to draw out the obvious parallels in U.S. politics, but Tekton may actually come out stronger as a result of this even though it will never actually get to litigation or resolution.
Raises the question is a con that isn’t ever recognised by its victims really a con? Or rather a win win?

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Doubtful. Only newbies with no idea of this Tekton history will even consider them, and if the potential customer does any research they will pass on Tekton too. Nobody wants to own speakers that are poorly designed and especially where the company feels they need to threaten legal action to keep measurements from coming out. In addition, no one with any credibility will want to review them. The company will crawl back into obscurity.

AaronJ

Nobody [rational] wants to own speakers that are poorly designed and especially where the company feels they need to threaten legal action to keep measurements from coming out.
FTFY. As much as people will wish that a rational caveat doesn't need to be added, it is absolutely not the case.

bmwr75

With respect to Erin doing his Klippel measurements with the Troubadour feet removed, my understanding is cabinet tuning is done by varying the port diameter and length. If wrong, am sure some of you will correct me. :)

Assuming this is correct, the port on my Tekton Audio Impact Monitors is ~2.5" in diameter and ~8" long, which calculates to 39.3 cubic inches. The holes for the feet are ~0.25" diameter and let's assum 1" MDF was used, so the holes are 1" long, which calculates to 0.049 cubic inches times 4 (for 4 feet holes per speaker) = 0.2 cubic inches. So, the 4 feet holes add 0.5% to the 39.3 cubic inch port volume. Should that be audible? Doesn't seem so to me, but I don't have a Klippel measurement system to verify that opinion.

Didn't do these calculations for a a Tekton Troubadour because don't have one on hand to measure the port.

Top Bottom