• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lawton Chambers for TH610!

OP
H

Hilton

I'm sure I could do it for you but I'm in Sydney Australia.

Todd k

Forum Donor
Was there 2 years ago. What a beautiful city!!!! Wish I could teleport them over to u, thanx for the offer. What is approximate cost to ship a small package from east coast us to Sydney? I’ve got plenty of time an 6 other cans to use

OP
H

Hilton

I finally get to properly A/B test my Lawton Chambers...
20230705_163051.jpg
20230705_184815.jpg

Last edited:

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fetishising haphazard cottage industry tweaks made only holds back the state of the headphone engineering art

OP
H

Hilton

What a lovely piece of work you are so called "Major Contributor" How about you shove your not polite attitude where the sun don't shine. You pseudointellectual fucktard!

Last edited:
OP
H

Hilton

And BTW i have minidsp ears on the way to try measure frequency response differences and other tonal differences!

OP
H

Hilton

Here's some measurements for the doubters...
Im new to REW so excuse me if I got this wrong...
This is comparing a brand new pair of TH610 out of box with another brand new pair with Wild Chechen measured on minidsp EARS using the HEQ Mic calibration.
This is with a very light clamping of the HP to the EARS with a small elastic to properly seal the headphone at the top of the earcup.
As you can see the sub-bass is significantly better - Wild Chechen chambers are even flat down to 10hz (where I started the measurement from)
The occasional sibilance you could hear in stock TH610 is also drastically reduced as you can see with the dip at 3K compared with stock chambers.
Much more to come. I also have some "reference" original HD600's with new earpads to measure against and several other HP's.

Right Stock TH610 Black Walnut Chamber
RHQ-Stock by Hilton, on Flickr

Right TH610 Wild Chechen Chamber
RHQ-Chechen by Hilton, on Flickr

Right TH610 Wild Chechen vs Stock Walnut Chamber ( Purple Chechen / Orange Stock)
RHQ-Chechen-vs-Stock by Hilton, on Flickr

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's some measurements for the doubters...
Im new to REW so excuse me if I got this wrong...
This is comparing a brand new pair of TH610 out of box with another brand new pair with Wild Chechen measured on minidsp EARS using the HEQ Mic calibration.
This is with a very light clamping of the HP to the EARS with a small elastic to properly seal the headphone at the top of the earcup.
As you can see the sub-bass is significantly better - Wild Chechen chambers are even flat down to 10hz (where I started the measurement from)
The occasional sibilance you could hear in stock TH610 is also drastically reduced as you can see with the dip at 3K compared with stock chambers.
Much more to come. I also have some "reference" original HD600's with new earpads to measure against and several other HP's.

Left Stock TH610 Black Walnut Chamber
RHQ-Stock by Hilton, on Flickr

Left TH610 Wild Chechen Chamber
RHQ-Chechen by Hilton, on Flickr

Left TH610 Wild Chechen vs Stock Walnut Chamber ( Purple Chechen / Orange Stock)
RHQ-Chechen-vs-Stock by Hilton, on Flickr
Id like to see you measure the 2 Lawton cups you think sound most different to each other. If the changes in FR are significant between them , is there any difference in physical dimensions?

OP
H

Hilton

Id like to see you measure the 2 Lawton cups you think sound most different to each other. If the changes in FR are significant between them , is there any difference in physical dimensions?
Yes they do measure and sound different as per above. Black Limba sounds a bit more V shaped as you can see here. Mid range is down compared to Stock and Wild Chechen.
Im about to switch another couple Chambers over. The Flame Walnut and the Wild Ziricote. The sizes are identical, as is the inner padding. Only the type of timber and its hardness/weight are different.

OP
H

Hilton

Sorry, missed the last chart had 3 units in.
PS. These are most similar sounding to me. Be interesting how the Flame Marbled Walnut and Wild Ziricote measure. The latter being almost 3 x the weight of the stock chamber and double the weight of the lightest Black Limba.

Last edited:
OP
H

Hilton

Time for the good stuff. Not sure if I've captured this correctly but I've given a shot!

TH610 Stock Chamber Waterfall
TH610 Stock Waterfall by Hilton, on Flickr

Wild Chechen Waterfall
RHQ Chechen Waterfall by Hilton, on Flickr

Black Limba Waterfall
RHQ Limba Waterfall by Hilton, on Flickr

Flame Marble Walnut Waterfall
RHQ Marble Walnut Waterfall by Hilton, on Flickr

Wild Ziricote Waterfall
RHQ Ziricote Waterfall by Hilton, on Flickr

HD600 Waterfall
RHQ HD600 Waterfall by Hilton, on Flickr

TH610 Stock Chamber RT60 Decay
TH610 Stock RT60 decay by Hilton, on Flickr

Wild Chechen RT60 Decay
RHQ Chechen RT60 decay by Hilton, on Flickr

Black Limba RT60 Decay
RHQ Limba RT60 decay by Hilton, on Flickr

Flame Marble Walnut RT60 Decay
RHQ Marble Walnut RT60 decay by Hilton, on Flickr

Wild Ziricote RT60 Decay
RHQ Ziricote RT60 decay by Hilton, on Flickr

HD600 RT60 Decay (contaminated by background noise???)
RHQ HD600 RT60 decay by Hilton, on Flickr

OP
H

Hilton

TH610 Stock Chamber Noise + THD
TH610 Noise by Hilton, on Flickr

Wild Chechen Noise + THD
RHQ Chechen Noise by Hilton, on Flickr

Black Limba Noise + THD
RHQ Limba Noise by Hilton, on Flickr

Flame Marble Walnut Noise + THD
RHQ Marble Walnut Noise by Hilton, on Flickr

Wild Ziricote Noise + THD
RHQ Ziricote Noise by Hilton, on Flickr

HD600 Noise + THD
RHQ HD600 Noise by Hilton, on Flickr

TH610 Stock Chamber CSD
TH610 Stock CSD by Hilton, on Flickr

Wild Chechen CSD
RHQ Chechen CSD by Hilton, on Flickr

Black Limba CSD
RHQ Limba CSD by Hilton, on Flickr

Flame Marble Walnut CSD
RHQ Marble Walnut CSD by Hilton, on Flickr

Wild Ziricote CSD
RHQ Ziricote CSD by Hilton, on Flickr

HD600 CSD
RHQ HD600 CSD by Hilton, on Flickr

OP
H

Hilton

I've also retested the TH610 stock Chamber again after someone thought 6db gain from Chambers alone seems too good to be true... but alas a retest clearly shows that the difference is indeed 6db (apart from the Ziricote which is a very dense heavy wood)

TH610 Stock Retest by Hilton, on Flickr

20230714_202801 by Hilton, on Flickr

charleski

Major Contributor
This is comparing a brand new pair of TH610 out of box with another brand new pair with Wild Chechen
It looks like there's quite a lot of inter-unit variation. Maybe it would be more instructive to test the same pair with stock and custom enclosures (it might be an idea to do multiple measurements, reseating inbetween, to check the precison of your setup).

OP
H

Hilton

I've taken multiple measurements and whilst from 300hz and up they can vary very slightly, the characteristics of each chamber are present, especially below 300hz and also upto about 3k where the weird EARS resonances take over. I also did multiple calibrations L/R at 70/100 and 1K for each test to ensure equal level and placement for the sweeps you see above. So no point wasting time on multiple positions for every headphone since the reason for getting these is mostly for the increase bottom end response. The biggest differences are between the Black Limba which is more V-Shaped, the Wild Ziricote which is more HD600ish (still more bass though) and the Wild Chechen/Flame Marble Walnut are similarish but Chechen is a bit cleaner and brighter sounding.

Top Bottom