• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KRK rp5 review

relmu

I am very interested in a review of the KRK rp5 g2 or g3 studio monitor, maybe some participant has one to lend, I would be delighted but I live a little far (Argentina). Regards

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes me too, it's very popular in the Netherlands for home producers.

Xyrium

Forum Donor
would like to see that, too. see this

Not sure that dude is measuring correctly. On average, he's seeing a 1 dB difference between 3-4 different models. It appears that he's measuring more of his room, than the speakers.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have owned a pair of KRK Rokit RP6 G2 for about 12 years. I have never measured them but they sound very good to my ears. They seem quite neutral with good, solid bass, smooth midrange and clear, not bright highs. A popular speaker builder friend was quite impressed by them, especially at their price point.

Martin

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Xyrium

Forum Donor
I would say the 5" model, but it seems so underpowered in the spec sheet. So, perhaps the 7.

Edit: That's if you're married to the lower Rokit line. Otherwise, I say the V6.

Mawclaw

Forum Donor
Having heard most of these through all the generations I think the middle one is always the play. The small woofer is anemic and the 8s are usually pretty boomy.

The Rokit 6 g2 was a very pleasing speaker, made me take KRK seriously and I purchased the VXT8s with my limited funds.

Princeton spins and polars are available here of the G2s- https://www.princeton.edu/3D3A/Directivity/KRK Systems RoKit 6 G2/index_H.html

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks nice indeed. I will buy one to test. WHich model should I get?
The 5 have the most reviews on Sweetwater and Amazon, though the 3-way 10 model likely is the best.

When I look at videos showing a studio setup, KRK seems to be tied with the Yamaha HS line for the most popular brand for a lot of younger/newer producers. I see a lot of Genelec for the more established producers, with some Focal sprinkled in.

Last edited:

AthanasiosL

Forum Donor
I believe krk rockit 10/3 G3 or the new 10/3 G4 sould be tested (3 way 10" woofer - horizontal or vertical placement possible) because if it measures well can make a big difference price wise in low budget home theater installations and/or domestic studios. I own a pair of these by the way but I am located in Europe so i cannot sent it over for testing... But please @amirm do not measure anything with a woofer smaller than 8" :) there are very nice headphones for near field listening...

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks nice indeed. I will buy one to test. WHich model should I get?
I have visited a small audio gear shop near me and interestingly they had there DBR62 bookshelves connected for listening demo.
I had a short talk with a salesman there and I told him I consider either some decent passive speakers or studio monitors for my small living room (3,4x5,4m). He was quite down to earth guy and didn't try hard to convince me either way or another but clearly advised me more towards passives. One of the reasonable arguments he used was that hi-fi passives are more forgiving in terms of sweet spot / directivity and that in case of chosing actives he would recommend not going for small 5" models (as these are really intended for nearfield use only) but rather some bigger ones.
That said and the fact that I noticed also in this forum folks considering "misuse" ;) of studio monitors for "casual listening", I personal also wish 7" model for testing. Also it would be nice to have some paragraph within the review to compare it with the DBR62's already tested (in mentioned use scenario), as they are comparable specwise I think (both 2-way with front firing port, both 1" tweeter and rougly the same woofer - 6,5" vs 7")

On the other hand, the 3-way Rokit 10-3 G4 would make a nice comparison with Kali IN-8 (3way monitor already tested). [3-way monitors being very rare in this price range].

Xyrium

Forum Donor
I have visited a small audio gear shop near me and interestingly they had there DBR62 bookshelves connected for listening demo.
I had a short talk with a salesman there and I told him I consider either some decent passive speakers or studio monitors for my small living room (3,4x5,4m). He was quite down to earth guy and didn't try hard to convince me either way or another but clearly advised me more towards passives. One of the reasonable arguments he used was that hi-fi passives are more forgiving in terms of sweet spot / directivity and that in case of chosing actives he would recommend not going for small 5" models (as these are really intended for nearfield use only) but rather some bigger ones.
That said and the fact that I noticed also in this forum folks considering "misuse" ;) of studio monitors for "casual listening", I personal also wish 7" model for testing. Also it would be nice to have some paragraph within the review to compare it with the DBR62's already tested (in mentioned use scenario), as they are comparable specwise I think (both 2-way with front firing port, both 1" tweeter and rougly the same woofer - 6,5" vs 7")

On the other hand, the 3-way Rokit 10-3 G4 would make a nice comparison with Kali IN-8 (3way monitor already tested). [3-way monitors being very rare in this price range].
I don't believe there's a "misuse" of "studio" speakers, as even "studio" speakers are not always flat in the audible spectrum. If I got anything out of Dr. Toole's presentations, it's that there's no hope of "correcting" the listening experience of a user in their listening space, if the speaker itself doesn't start out flat. I believe he also suggested that the best opportunity for doing this is via the current transition to powered speakers with built in DSP, to correct for time alignment, overall FR, directivity, etc. I could be way off of course, and there are others with actual knowledge of this subject on this forum, who can correct me accordingly. :)

Xyrium

Forum Donor
Good call on the tolerance of that FR spec. I had a pair of 8" Rokits, they were boomy in my space at the time, though we're talking about 15 years ago probably. So, I doubt I optimized their positioning.

Would love a compact 3 way that had relatively good performance, especially at that bargain basement price.

radio3

The classic model of these is the RP5 woofer. 6.5" woofers on these kinds of budget monitors generally don't perform as well as the 5.25s. Would love to see a review of these as well. I suppose they're probably roughly the same performance as the JBL LSR305s, though. Don't see how either company would screw up the design and both are about the same price.

Last edited:

JIW

I believe krk rockit 10/3 G3 or the new 10/3 G4 sould be tested (3 way 10" woofer - horizontal or vertical placement possible) because if it measures well can make a big difference price wise in low budget home theater installations and/or domestic studios. I own a pair of these by the way but I am located in Europe so i cannot sent it over for testing... But please @amirm do not measure anything with a woofer smaller than 8" :) there are very nice headphones for near field listening...

Here is a review with measurements of the 10-3 G3 from Sound & Recording.
https://www.soundandrecording.de/equipment/studiomonitor-krk-rp-10−3-im-test/
It's in german though.

Top Bottom