• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Klipsch K-402 another controlled directivity horn

Bjorn

Manufacturer
Btw, I will probably audition the Danley SH50 any day now. That's another highly regarded horn construction. I've asked Bjørn for an audition of his system, but he's a busy man. But hopefully I'll be able to hear it in the not too distant future.
Old thread that I just came over. Hopefully I can demo the horn speaker system in 2021. At least in Bergen but probably other cities and when the time is ready also bring to an international hifi show. The focus lately has been on finishing amplifiers and a CBT speaker.

I had a pair of Klipsch K-402 for several years. They were sold quickly when we developed our own horn. The difference was bigger then I expected. Smoother, more relaxed, more natural sound with more energy in the highest frequencies. The off-axis measurement was improved. A large horn system with constant directivity is amazing IMO.

1483132391_newhorns.thumb.jpg.1bfe64d21c1add77f09dc3ae7e75fa1b (Liten).jpg

Are those the final versions Bjørn?
The slots/throat adapters are still quite short, I presume (<8 cm length)?

Last edited:

Bjorn

Manufacturer
Are those the final versions Bjørn?
The slots/throat adapters are still short, I presume (<8 cm length)?
Other than finish and aesthetics they are ready. I see no reason to change anything. They sound amazing. The slot/adapter is longer than that.

I do have another version you see below, but I don't plan to offer those anywere soon and they need a different midbass solution.
Proto biradial front 2 (Liten).jpg

Bjorn

Manufacturer
Sort of but if we follow the true meaning of bi-radial, actually none of these are bi-radial horns. And so called JBL bi-radial horns were never really bi-radial either. It's a bit of a mess and wrong use of terminlogy. I do have a design for a true bi-radial horn by the way, but the size is likely to increase.

Coverage angels are the same for both those horns, 80x50°.

With Bi-radial horns, I referred to the series of JBL horns that were produced under that trademark.

F9-07B.png

Those horns, as well as yours, were developed by the same legend, Don Keele.
Evidently, the profiles of these horns are not (bi-)radial in the mathematical sense.

Attachments

Bjorn

Manufacturer
Yes. JBL basically ended up using the bi-radial term of diffraction slot horns. Some were radial like the JBL 2360A and some were not. None of them had a bi-radial profile.

Top Bottom