• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R3 Meta - Review & Measurements by Erin

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I'd say that while some amplifiers can sound ever so slightly different (if not tube amps), but they won't fix a flaw in a speaker generally.
First half sentence: not generally (of course there might be some very flawed odd exceptions - there is a big existing thread where this is discussed).
Second half sentence: correct, „synergy“ is an audiophool myth.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Penelinfi

First half sentence: not generally (of course there might be some very flawed odd exceptions - there is a big existing thread where this is discussed).
Second half sentence: correct, „synergy“ is an audiophool myth.
While I agree there are a lot of amps that would sound the same, I've heard more than enough that just sound different. So far, I've still ended up preferring the "normal" amplifiers.
Some are due to age, some due to intentional tuning characteristics. I'm pretty sure some of them measure "badly" due to such characteristics (eg. Some Krell models)

Ellebob

Forum Donor
I've compared R3 and R3 meta. Not a big difference and in some ways I thought the R3 was better and others hearing it thought the R3 meta was better. They are close and everyone hearing them agreed. I wouldn't change to the meta if I already had the R3.

dmilller

An information.

I have a pair of R3s (no destination) I just changed amplifier because in the high range they gave the impression of being too forward (S-C-Z sibilants).
I hear sibilants occasionally with the R3 Meta, especially from from female vocals. It may be in the recording. I find the problem worth it for the detail the R3 provides in some instruments. I'm very pleased with these speakers.

I do use Dirac Live. There is a very significant difference between Dirac being on and off. I will never run a more expensive system without Dirac or other EQ. Dirac is a clarity button.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hear sibilants occasionally with the R3 Meta, especially from from female vocals. It may be in the recording. I find the problem worth it for the detail the R3 provides in some instruments. I'm very pleased with these speakers.

I do use Dirac Live. There is a very significant difference between Dirac being on and off. I will never run a more expensive system without Dirac or other EQ. Dirac is a clarity button.
Is this placement dependent ? Ive heard that one should not point coax drivers directly at you but listen sligthly off axis not so much toe-in you’re used to with conventional speakers .

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is this placement dependent ? Ive heard that one should not point coax drivers directly at you but listen sligthly off axis not so much toe-in you’re used to with conventional speakers .
Sibilance is in the 5-10KHz range. I suppose it is possible that bump from 8-10KHz is what you are noticing. You could pull it down with EQ, and it is tamed significantly 10 degrees off axis.
1707231468411.png

SPL%20Horizontal.png

dmilller

I don't know if sibilants is placement depedent. I hear it sitting in the ideal position with the speakers square to the room (10-15 degrees off access?). But I don't hear it often, and I only hear it when the mic is obviously near clipping. It's just like hearing sibilants in a live performance due to audio engineering choices. So the issue is perhaps the revealing nature of the tweeter and not a speaker design compromise.

Perhaps the primary reason many people consider R3 Meta is entry level high end is its revealing nature. I liked it immediately but my brain needed a break in period. It sounds quite different than two other systems in my house with ribbon tweeters. But now I can move between the systems (Roon streaming the same music) and be pleased by both.

Alexx

A thousand thanks.

I'll try to decide in the next few days, in any case the Rega seemed to me to have a better mid-high range than the Nad 399. I hope I was right to change.......

It's not easy for the speakers, in theory the meta series must be better in every respect, I have to say that I listened to the Linton Heritage (they only cost 950 euros per pair) and I liked them a lot, even "warmer" than the Kef in medium-high range.

The problem is finding a 3-way bookshelf speaker.....

I'll update you, thanks.

Beave

Major Contributor
Anyone have a perspective on how these compare to a pair of Sierra LX?

The KEF has higher sensitivity but lower impedance.

Both have good on axis response.

The KEF has better control of off axis response but is narrower overall. Hard to predict which would be better for you in that respect. Depends on room and your preferences.

One key difference is that once you compensate for the level differences, the Ascend has much more midbass output (50 to 100Hz). That may be a good thing or may not be, depending on your room, your placement in the room (how near to walls, corners), and your preferences for amount of bass.

Alexx

The new Rega Elicit MK5 amplifier has finally arrived (the first one was defective).

In the next few days I will connect it to the Kef R3 (from all the reviews I have read I don't think it is worth switching to R3 Meta).

I'm very interested in Mofi Sourcepoint 8 (Andrew Robinson project) do you have any idea what I gain compared to the R3?

I don't have a chance to listen to them and I'm not sure whether to rely solely on the excellent reviews.
A thousand thanks.

JAJDACT

Anyone have a perspective on how these compare to a pair of Sierra LX?
I compared the original R3 against the LX in my room and preferred the LX by a fairly wide margin,however the R3 Meta fixed a few of my complaints I had with the original,which was mainly the treble response. I prefer a little wider dispersion than the R3,so that was part of my decision as well.

nygafre

The new Rega Elicit MK5 amplifier has finally arrived (the first one was defective).

In the next few days I will connect it to the Kef R3 (from all the reviews I have read I don't think it is worth switching to R3 Meta).

I'm very interested in Mofi Sourcepoint 8 (Andrew Robinson project) do you have any idea what I gain compared to the R3?

I don't have a chance to listen to them and I'm not sure whether to rely solely on the excellent reviews.
A thousand thanks.
I went from the R3 to the R3 Metas. I like the improvements in the Meta version, but it is hard to argue for it’s value proposition vs the original R3’s. Now that I also run PEQ filters, I would probably have been happy with the old R3’s too.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I went from the R3 to the R3 Metas. I like the improvements in the Meta version, but it is hard to argue for it’s value proposition vs the original R3’s. Now that I also run PEQ filters, I would probably have been happy with the old R3’s too.
Do you EQ your Metas also above 500 Hz and if yes, how?

nygafre

Do you EQ your Metas also above 500 Hz and if yes, how?
Currently away for work, so I don’t have any specific data in front of me. But yes, generally some (broad) filters for the higher frequencies above 2kHz.. my target curve already matches quite well with the natural response here, so the correction is on the gentle side. I do have some uneveness in the 500-2kHz mids region, where I find the filters do a good job.

Practically speaking, I run a few REW sweeps for different positions in my listening area, then average them and create PEQ filters in REW. Then import the filters to EQ APO, where I add equal loudness normalization too. So far I find that this is ‘good enough’ for me, even though I probably could do a heck lot more to optimize.

I hope I at at least partly answered your question?

Descartes

Major Contributor
So what do you do with the center channel then!

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So what do you do with the center channel then!
Slightly below your ear’s would also do ( or above) I assume ? I think it’s alright compared to all those flawed centers who are mtm .

You get a small angle anyway if you point the Center at your nose :) don’t move !

Top Bottom