• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef R Meta Series Release

Alexx

Thanks so much for the tips.

I'll talk to the dealer tomorrow and see what they offer.

I agree that with the new "Meta" series, even if only slightly, I would have a small improvement.

I exclude that it could sound worse or brighter/invasive in the medium-high range.

Furthermore, in a year I would not think of changing it ...... probably the higher cost is worth it for future investment.

I'll let you know for sure tomorrow.
Good day.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
If the R series is an indication, chances ar the Meta version can be eq'ed even better than the previous, so chances are they are very friendly towards software such as Dirac or Audyssey.

regan

I like seeing high nUmbers on my devices, for happiness, and that feeling that I am hearing something hi quality
Then grab a pen and boost those motherfuckers to the roof. Sky is the limit for those who dare!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Would be cool if KEF had some Meta plates mounted on headbands for visitors to try when visiting and audio show. Must be cool to hear how it absorbs the noise. Like a passive noise reduction system of sorts.

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just saw the prices for the new R-series.
It’s hard to justify spending 1000€ more on the R3 Meta compared to the LS50 Meta.

The R3 are crossed over at 420Hz so the Uni-Q will have to do a lot of less work compared to the LS50’s Uni-Q.
I wonder if those differences are worth the price difference (assuming that a sub is being used; that’s mandatory with all bookshelf speakers imho)

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think this kind of coax should be a 3-way , so for me the fact that the uni-q does not do any kind of bass is a fact worth considering even if you have subwoofers . Then the uni-q and it’s soround can be optimised for midrange and does not modulate the treble to much .

n1rvana

I'm considering the R3 Meta for a temporary solution (2-3 years) based on my living situation. This would be my first Hifi system.

Would a Hypex NC252 be enough or do I need the headroom of an NC502?

Thanks

juliangst

I think this kind of coax should be a 3-way , so for me the fact that the uni-q does not do any kind of bass is a fact worth considering even if you have subwoofers . Then the uni-q and it’s soround can be optimised for midrange and does not modulate the treble to much .
That’s what I think as well. But I wonder if any modulation is even audible at normal listening levels (75-80dB@1m)

juliangst

I'm considering the R3 Meta for a temporary solution (2-3 years) based on my living situation. This would be my first Hifi system.

Thanks
NC252 should be plenty of power. Kef says 15-180W

Popscene

Thanks
For sure, it will be enough. I drive them with nc122 and its powerfull enough to listen at a reasonably high volume.

MarkS

Major Contributor
Would be cool if KEF had some Meta plates mounted on headbands for visitors to try when visiting and audio show. Must be cool to hear how it absorbs the noise. Like a passive noise reduction system of sorts.
I don't think it works in a general open environment. KEF is using it in a very specific application, to help absorb the backwave from a tweeter in a sealed enclosure. And even then, they stick some conventional absorbing material in front of it.

My guess is that the actual sonic effect of this is pretty small. It would be very interesting to compare speakers which are identical, except that in one the meta backplate has been replaced by a plain backplate, or just left open.

Last edited:

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s what I think as well. But I wonder if any modulation is even audible at normal listening levels (75-80dB@1m)
I think a large proportion of the improvement is in the souround of the driver if it’s going to produce bass it going to be bigger like a half roll and this will obstruct higher frequencies more and introduces problems , and if the driver is more of a midrange the whole magnet system can be optimal for this purposes and won’t need optimisations to produce large excursions.
I think that this and other effects makes the midrange distortion much lover.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think a large proportion of the improvement is in the souround of the driver if it’s going to produce bass it going to be bigger like a half roll and this will obstruct higher frequencies more and introduces problems , and if the driver is more of a midrange the whole magnet system can be optimal for this purposes and won’t need optimisations to produce large excursions.
I think that this and other effects makes the midrange distortion much lover.
This and kef drivers are not as big as one thinks the treble assembly in the middle removes some possible surface area for the lower frequency part of an uni-q .

Descartes

Major Contributor
Just saw the prices for the new R-series.
It’s hard to justify spending 1000€ more on the R3 Meta compared to the LS50 Meta.

The R3 are crossed over at 420Hz so the Uni-Q will have to do a lot of less work compared to the LS50’s Uni-Q.
I wonder if those differences are worth the price difference (assuming that a sub is being used; that’s mandatory with all bookshelf speakers imho)
Yes I am asking myself thee we same questions! I am looking forward for Amir or Erin to dissecting them and comparing their sound?

Daka

Yes I am asking myself thee we same questions! I am looking forward for Amir or Erin to dissecting them and comparing their sound?
All depends on distance to MLP. Ls50 meta starts to fall apart above 86dbs at 1 meter - so if your MLP is like 4m away you will lose 12 DBs of that and if you listen at 80DB level means you entering high distortion. At those levels R3 meta is “clear” winner.

Streamc

Thanks
Better Purifi based amp with DAC on your own. You can select 2 modes (power of amplification) by jumpers. Also choose some buffer by different makers.

Toblerone

Interesting.
It is easy reading with translator.

Here was the main point for me:
First of all, let me be honest. I was using the old R3, but I personally prefer the LS50 Meta.

It's true that the R3 tends to be flat and has high performance, so it's suitable for reference, but there were times when I couldn't enjoy the rough sound sources that were a little strict on the source, or I felt that I wanted a little more musicality ( So I had to devise a lot with accessories).

In that respect, although the LS50 Meta is inferior to the R3 in terms of low-frequency reproduction capability and sense of scale, it has good high-frequency expressiveness and rich musicality, so I honestly think that the LS50 Meta was the most enjoyable to listen to. This is my impression.

That evaluation was blown away with this R3 Meta. The high performance of the R3 and the musicality of the LS50 Meta are perfectly combined. I think it's safe to say that the R3 Meta is upwardly compatible, surpassing the LS50 Meta in almost all respects.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting.
It is easy reading with translator.
Nice find,

R3_R3meta_Freqquency_600x600.jpg

the R3 Meta (red curve) seems to be tuned more neutral / less shouty on the upper mids compared to the old R3 (similar as LS50 Meta vs first gen LS50), would be interesting to see the directivities of both and how much EQ can make them sound similar.

Top Bottom