• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LSX Review (Wireless Speaker)

capslock

Interestingly, KEF have a 34 second video with an exploded view of the LSX driver. Unlike the LS50 driver, it does not seem to use any kind of shorting ring. That might explain some of the highish distortion. Strangely, nobody else seems go have measured distortion of the LSX.

So there's a set of these available locally with an ELAC SUB1010, asking $350 for all of it... is that a no-brainer price? Looking for a setup for bedroom (won't be played very loud), I'm trying out Polk ES20 at the moment but the smaller size of the LSX is really appealing.

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So there's a set of these available locally with an ELAC SUB1010, asking $350 for all of it... is that a no-brainer price? Looking for a setup for bedroom (won't be played very loud), I'm trying out Polk ES20 at the moment but the smaller size of the LSX is really appealing.
Let me know where those are being sold, I'll buy them....

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am wondering if @amirm has any plans to review the revised LSX2 version that has been out for some time now.
The yt influencers/reviewers are saying the updated software is great; but there is no 'incentive' if they say otherwise!
Online prices are currently hovering under $1000.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I am wondering if @amirm has any plans to review the revised LSX2 version that has been out for some time now.
The yt influencers/reviewers are saying the updated software is great; but there is no 'incentive' if they say otherwise!
The software is the same as the LS50 WII and the LS60.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The software is the same as the LS50 WII and the LS60.
It is, however, not the same-old beast that @amirm had to strong-arm to be able to test/review the older LSXs:
A dancing sequence of colors were going on in the front which would require the German Enigma machine to decode....
Anyway, I start the app and it says to register. :( I register and then it comes up asking me if I want it to search for speakers...
I say yes and the app simply hangs forever. :( I try it and try it again to no avail. I see a reset button on the back. I push that it and nothing resets either. What the heck?...
Back to trying to figure out why I can't connect, the app says to open "Google Home" if it can't find the speaker. Google Home? ...
To test, I bring up Google Music (or whatever it is called) and start to play a track. I hear music! Yeah....
I see my wife in near tears as...! Had to spend 10 minutes calming my wife's nerves...
Online reports are full complaints about the App with the most serious one being that it doesn't remember its settings. Horrible job here by KEF...
I bought a white pair of LSX2s, as a Christmas 'gag' gift for my mate:
Two years ago, she said she really liked the looks of a white Creative-branded (grapefruit-size) Pair-Of-Speaker [<< emphasis on bold/cap 1st letters]. :(
Two months ago, I tried to talk her into a small pair of white-grilled Yamaha desktop speakers that she nixed. :confused:
Then, just two days ago, she said she did not want an iPhone15 (replacement for her iPhoneXS).:mad:
I have no idea how she will respond in just two more days, as I don't think she knows what a KEF or an LSX2 is about.

The best outcome is that she gets overwhelmed by the complexity of the LSX2s, and she may just ask for the iPhone15 instead... and I get to keep the LSX2s for my own desktop speaker use!:cool:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
It is, however, not the same-old beast that @amirm had to strong-arm to be able to test/review the older LSXs:

I bought a white pair of LSX2s, as a Christmas 'gag' gift for my mate:
Two years ago, she said she really liked the looks of a white Creative-branded (grapefruit-size) Pair-Of-Speaker [<< emphasis on bold/cap 1st letters]. :(
Two months ago, I tried to talk her into a small pair of white-grilled Yamaha desktop speakers that she nixed. :confused:
Then, just two days ago, she said she did not want an iPhone15 (replacement for her iPhoneXS).:mad:
I have no idea how she will respond in just two more days, as I don't think she knows what a KEF or an LSX2 is about.

The best outcome is that she gets overwhelmed by the complexity of the LSX2s, and she may just ask for the iPhone15 instead... and I get to keep the LSX2s for my own desktop speaker use!:cool:
You metioned the LSX II. The LSX used a different version of the APP.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You metioned the LSX II. The LSX used a different version of the APP.
Yes. Hence my post:
202312_LSX-II.jpg

You are correct though:
The proper nomenclature for the new model is "LSX II".
(https://us.kef.com/products/lsx-2)

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I have used the APP on the LS50 WII quite extensively. If an old 70 year old lady (my mother) can use it fluently, it is probably a good, easy to manage program.

Keep in mind that this old lady is fairly tech-incompetent.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have used the APP on the LS50 WII quite extensively.
Is it painless for the sw to detect a NAS on the LAN, for local streaming from its music library?
If an old 70 year old lady (my mother) can use it fluently, it is probably a good, easy to manage program.
You are bumming me out: I was hoping to inherit it back.:D

Vacceo

Major Contributor
My old Blasphemy rips on the PC sound quite fine two rooms away. Including all the noise and cracks from the original LP.

nvidia_7

Would love to see the LSX ii's reviewed by Amir or Erin. Ive been with my set for almost two weeks now and I am just baffled by the quality of sound these put out. With the addition of a KEF Kube 10b its now at a level that no other set of small speakers is going to be able to reach. I dont even think any pair of $1500 (what the LSX ii's and Kube 10b cost together) speakers regardless of size is going to compete in general. I have heard hundreds of speakers over the decades and everytime I listen to the LSX ii's I am impressed. Add in the built in amps, DAC, and looks and KEF has outdone themselves with these.

I have also had zero issues with the app, no connection dropouts, no issues at all. I know the LSX ii's are on the W2 platform that the LS60's are on so that may be it. The only negative I can say, and its not really a negative since these are meant for near-field use, is they definitely will go from no distortion to high distortion quickly if you increase the volume too much. Listening from a desk though, you would never go near the volume level that creates distortion. If you are looking for a hi-fi office or desk system, definitely give the LSX ii's a look.

SlaughterX

I know these are already powered and ment to be used as a stand alone music system... but can these be connected to an AVR? I am guessing there is no way to use them as wireless rears... they have to be connected via bluetooth, right?

Also, quality wise I would imagine the are much better than the Q150 fully driven, yes?

Paffi

I use them as wireless rear, with separate wireless adapters using the aux in. They are really great as rears!

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Like everybody does via distance?
Not so easy with the Kef actives. The aux in adds A-D delay. The bigger problem is this delay appears variable. If it is not a problem for you then thats great. The one workaround is to use optical in, but that is a pain in a typical HT setup.
No idea if the wireless transmitter adds more delay?

For HT and timing issues I think the LSX is not a great choice, particularly if you are sensitive to latency. I use mine in a nearfield desk setup where latency is not a concern.

Top Bottom