• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF Kube 12b or Kube 10b for low listening

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hey i got a pretty small room and can get booth of these subs pretty cheap for 619€ (12b) or 499€ (10b).

I only listen to low/Medium volume Max 90db 99% of the time. Speakers are Elac DBR62, which i wanna cross at 120Hz.

I found the following measurements:
KEF-Kube-10b-EQs-1024x521.jpg

KEF-Kube-12b-EQs-1024x521.jpg

Should i invest the extra 120 for the bigger driver? Or is it a waste in my case?

Thanks in advance!

staticV3

Master Contributor
If you can EQ the subs, then it likely won't matter much which one you pick.

However, if you cannot apply EQ, then the bigger 12b may be worth it for its flatter stock frequency response.

delta76

Major Contributor
If you can EQ the subs, then it likely won't matter much which one you pick.

However, if you cannot apply EQ, then the bigger 12b may be worth it for its flatter stock frequency response.
not quite sure you can EQ that low frequencies. sometimes you can't cheat physics.

kekus

I have the 10b in a small apartment room (about 5x4m), close to corner. For me it's enough, I also listen at low levels (~70db at speakers) and keep it pretty low on the sub volume knob as to hear the bass but not overload the room and disturb the neighbours.
I have an annoying room mode gain at 40 hz, but I get 20 hz at -5 db which I think is great for the money.
Ultimately it depends on how much that extra 120€ means to you, if it's easy money I would go for 12b, otherwise I'm sure you'll be happy with the 10b.

OP
ninetylol

ninetylol

I have the 10b in a small apartment room (about 5x4m), close to corner. For me it's enough, I also listen at low levels (~70db at speakers) and keep it pretty low on the sub volume knob as to hear the bass but not overload the room and disturb the neighbours.
I have an annoying room mode gain at 40 hz, but I get 20 hz at -5 db which I think is great for the money.
Ultimately it depends on how much that extra 120€ means to you, if it's easy money I would go for 12b, otherwise I'm sure you'll be happy with the 10b.
Same Situation here, sadly i got some useless neighbours too. Im still not totally sure if i can actually make use of a sub without tuning it down too much. But for the price I wouldnt make a big loss even if I had to sell it again. At least thats what Im trying to believe telling myself.

kekus

I usually listen with higher volume on weekends or weekdays when working from home, at reasonable hours (never past 9 pm let's say). Never had any complaints.
I think it's worth buying a sub even so, especially when you can High pass the main speakers (I do have HPF on, on the SMSL A300). That way I get less of that room mode and relieve the speakers a bit, and you can also move the sub around to get a better response.

Willem

Major Contributor
The Kube 12b is also quite a bit larger. Whether that matters in your home decor or not is for you to decide. Finally, you can of course use one big and one small sub. Do not forget to add some dsp room eq for a clean sound.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I'd arguably go for the larger one with flatter low bass and then roll it out into the mains. As most commercial subs tend to roll out gently, I'd arguably set the rollout on the sub to 80Hz or so and keep the sub level down a bit...

Maybe I'm too sensitive to our not large UK brick and plaster rooms, but so many installations I've done with thuddy room reflections at 80 - 120Hz or so, coupled with smaller speakers that lose output below 70 - 100Hz or so, I'd suggest myself that what you don't want is a70 - 100Hz thumper as the smaller sub appears to be. I'd also suggest from gut instinct that equalising the smaller one would risk increased distortion and I'd rather have more bass extension which can be eq'd down rather than less which needs boosting (yes I know so many small active wonder-box 'monitors' have masses of eq done at low frequencies in some cases, but I'm of the old fashioned school where a good big 'un will always out-perform a tweaked-to-hell smaller model..

OP
ninetylol

ninetylol

Thanks all, I ordered the bigger Kube 12b. Seems most people seem to agree, that there is no Overkill in subs, as you can always turn it down. Although at the moment even a Kube 8b is prolly overkill for me. Maybe I can use it to some fuller degree, when I change my apartment sooner or later.

Maybe I will give some feedback when it arrives here.

Thanks!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 48726

Hey i got a pretty small room and can get booth of these subs pretty cheap for 619€ (12b) or 499€ (10b).

I only listen to low/Medium volume Max 90db 99% of the time.
Eh!? Is 90 dB low or medium?? 90 dBA is quite high volume IMO. Or do you mean 90 dB peak? -LZpeak?

Sound-Pressure-Level-Frequency-Weightings-wiki.jpg

OP
ninetylol

ninetylol

I'd arguably go for the larger one with flatter low bass and then roll it out into the mains. As most commercial subs tend to roll out gently, I'd arguably set the rollout on the sub to 80Hz or so and keep the sub level down a bit...
I will try to high pass my Elac DBR62 at 120Hz to remove Fs with it. The flatter response from the bigger Kube12b seems to work better in theory, I will see.

OP
ninetylol

ninetylol

Eh!? Is 90 dB low or medium?? 90 dBA is quite high volume IMO. Or do you mean 90 dB peak? -LZpeak?

Sound-Pressure-Level-Frequency-Weightings-wiki.jpg
90 is the highest i typically go when neighbours are not around.

Adaboy4z

I have the kube 12b in a small room. It works great for low listening and loud for movies! I think you will be happy.

Top Bottom