• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Labs Element III Review (DAC & Amp)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 20 6.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 159 55.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 106 36.7%

• Total voters

remlemasi

@jseaber thanks! Yes, totally understand they are merely preferences. I’m always curious to see how other enthusiasts preferences line up against my own. Took me a while to break away from the ”any/all EQ is blasphemy” mindset.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If one is at FW 2.2, and has little interest in EQ - do you still recommend the update? Thx!

jseaber

Audio Company
If one is at FW 2.2, and has little interest in EQ - do you still recommend the update? Thx!

Not critical by any means. There are only minor bug fixes since v2.2.0.

Several months ago, a customer in Germany found that playing ASIO audio via USB resulted in momentary disruptions upon sampling rate changes while listening via S/PDIF (despite sampling rate changes occurring on the inactive audio stream). This was corrected in v2.3.2.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Firmware v2.5.1 is now available, following successfully testing since late last week. Changes include:
  • DSP Performance Updates
    • Optimized DSP stages to achieve static-free PCM 352.8kHz and 384kHz support
    • Adjusted DoP detection state machine within DSP stages to improve performance
  • Corrected volume compensation for negative DSP gains (was set 2dB below nominal in v2.5.0)
  • Changed Treble DSP Frequency options to: [3k, 4k, 6k, 8k, 9k, 10k, 12k, 14k]

Revised treble frequency response limits are shown below (note only a few gains are plotted between +/-12 dB):

View attachment 292025
That looks loads better! I reckon it could be used quite effectively as a tone control "across the whole frequency range" whereas before it was mainly bass boost and high treble influence, but now you've got influence across the whole spectrum by choosing 170Hz and 3kHz as a combination to be used together to tilt the frequency response up or down. That's a good change I think!

EDIT: changing the Q to 0.5 from the current 0.707 gives even better results though in terms of Tone Control:
1686685174364.png

But I appreciate that you said earlier that Users can request custom Q's.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@remlemasiv - Keep in mind everyone's perspective is unique. I find +12dB @ 100Hz enjoyable with HD-650s. Others may prefer less. For instance, Amir applied 3dB @ 75Hz in this review. There is no right answer.
(Amir actually but in another Low Shelf at 40Hz too, so he had around 6dB overall boost to some parts of the bass. Whenever I've done EQ for HD600 I like it with just +3dB Low Shelf at 75Hz (Q0.707), no other changes.)

remlemasi

(Amir actually but in another Low Shelf at 40Hz too, so he had around 6dB overall boost to some parts of the bass. Whenever I've done EQ for HD600 I like it with just +3dB Low Shelf at 75Hz (Q0.707), no other changes.)
Yeah, I noticed that too, but if we’re getting technical, I think it’s 8dB overall boost down low. (3dB@75Hz+ 5dB@40Hz).

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I noticed that too, but if we’re getting technical, I think it’s 8dB overall boost down low. (3dB@75Hz+ 5dB@40Hz).

These messages all make sense, and I am not objecting - other than to note that, if you must EQ a device by 8dB, you probably made the wrong choice for your listening preferences, IMHO.

remlemasi

These messages all make sense, and I am not objecting - other than to note that, if you must EQ a device by 8dB, you probably made the wrong choice for your listening preferences, IMHO.
Fair enough. Although I really appreciate the jdslabs approach to EQ, where it’s implemented as subtractive adjustments only, introducing no additional risk of clipping. This is great when one does want to experiment with absurdly high boosts :)

remlemasi

Just for a follow up, +12dB@100Hz sounds kinda nuts to me (no offense @jseaber lol). Even +8dB@80Hz is a bit much.

Ended up finding @oratory1990 6-band PEQ settings (harman target) and applying just the low shelf and high shelf: +8dB@60Hz and +3dB@3kHz**. Glad the Q-factors match up.

Might be a little bright/fatiguing for me, but will see if I end up getting used to it or if prefer the OG veil

See spec: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p3hcne1z7n965sx/Sennheiser HD650 (6 Band EQ).pdf?dl=0

This isn't meant to be an HD650 evaluation, but more to say I am enjoying messing with these tone controls.

**EDIT: oops, in my excitement, I didn't not see that the high shelf was countered by aggressive peaking cuts at 2k, 3k, and 16k, no wonder it sounded way too bright. I'm trying +2dB @6kHz now.

Last edited:

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just for a follow up, +12dB@100Hz sounds kinda nuts to me (no offense @jseaber lol). Even +8dB@80Hz is a bit much.

Ended up finding @oratory1990 6-band PEQ settings (harman target) and applying just the low shelf and high shelf: +8dB@60Hz and +3dB@3kHz. Glad the Q-factors match up.

Might be a little bright/fatiguing for me, but will see if I end up getting used to it or if prefer the OG veil

See spec: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p3hcne1z7n965sx/Sennheiser HD650 (6 Band EQ).pdf?dl=0

This isn't meant to be an HD650 evaluation, but more to say I am enjoying messing with these tone controls.

Just because you *can* do something, doesn't mean you *should*. :) The feature envelope is designed to let people go crazy - why build a feature with limits that just reflect the designer's preference? It limits its appeal. Let customers do crazy things - it widens your customer base. :)

remlemasi

Just because you *can* do something, doesn't mean you *should*. :) The feature envelope is designed to let people go crazy - why build a feature with limits that just reflect the designer's preference? It limits its appeal. Let customers do crazy things - it widens your customer base. :)
Like I mentioned above, I recently escaped from the the "any/all EQ is blasphemy" mindset and allowed myself the freedom to explore the wonders of modern DSP. I also have much less time now to be super critical and just want to listen to music that "sounds good." (Unfortunately, my gear now easily exposes poorly-mixed/recorded music so it's become harder and harder to do... lol)

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Like I mentioned above, I recently escaped from the the "any/all EQ is blasphemy" mindset and allowed myself the freedom to explore the wonders of modern DSP. I also have much less time now to be super critical and just want to listen to music that "sounds good." (Unfortunately, my gear now easily exposes poorly-mixed/recorded music so it's become harder and harder to do... lol)

I completely understand where you come from and I hope I made it clear this was no criticism of what you said, I was just sharing my opinion.

I am not an EQ guy, even though I can fully understand where the benefits clearly can lie (the ideal linear or Harman response etc etc), but I'd rather go for simplicity and combine things I enjoy, and then over time one adjusts to it anyhow. Because otherwise, I might start thinking about different EQs for different albums and what not. And it is very seldom that recordings with some flaws (and ultimately, they all have some, come on) can stop me from enjoying music I love. Several much-hallowed "reference" jazz recordings from the early 60s are very flawed, yet reviewers continue to claim they hear more detail and definition through the latest and most revealing gear, for example. I shall always pick a great performance I love over a boring-sterile yet sublimely recorded one.

MRC01

Major Contributor
The bass shelf (or cut) is a great feature because it's so commonly needed. A high shelf (or cut), not so much. What may be more useful is a notch filter to compensate for a treble resonance that many headphones have. To keep it simple, you can fix it at -6 dB with Q between 2.0 and 3.0, and make the center freq adjustable from 5 kHz to 10 kHz. For example with the HD800 you'd set it 6 kHz.

This is something that Meier Audio does with their DSP and I find it useful. His selectable curves look like this:
1686838497582.png

Zaiden

I want to set a specific DSP band for the RCA output, to deal with recessed male vocals. I was wondering if there was a way to go about achieving this with the Element III.

jseaber

Audio Company
I want to set a specific DSP band for the RCA output, to deal with recessed male vocals. I was wondering if there was a way to go about achieving this with the Element III.

This could potentially be accomplished by changing one of the biquad filters to serve as a notch filter (i.e., repurpose the core currently assigned to treble boost). If there are enough requests, it's something we could explore.

remlemasi

This could potentially be accomplished by changing one of the biquad filters to serve as a notch filter (i.e., repurpose the core currently assigned to treble boost). If there are enough requests, it's something we could explore.
I vaguely recall that you are accommodating custom FW with custom DSP filters. Did I mis-remember?

jseaber

Audio Company
I vaguely recall that you are accommodating custom FW with custom DSP filters. Did I mis-remember?

Yes, to clarify, we can quickly compile custom builds which alter predefined variables such as Q or available cutoff frequencies (8 options per filter).

Changing the filter type is more involved, but possible.

remlemasi

Yes, to clarify, we can quickly compile custom builds which alter predefined variables such as Q or available cutoff frequencies (8 options per filter).

Changing the filter type is more involved, but possible.
Got it, thanks for clarifying.

marses

Wondering is it worth it to upgrade to this if you are using JDS the element I?

Top Bottom