• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Labs EL AMP II Headphone Review

Mumstead

Wow, that looks pretty ungainly, and surely the units are difficult to keep aligned?

I would have thought practically any half decent shielded cable would suffice for such a short link.

The cables look huge in the pic because of perspective. They are thick but they also keep the shape that you bend them in to. My components sit in alignment without any trouble at all.

That being said I would rather have an all in one Amp & DAC and not need the cables at all so I just ordered the Element II. Bad timing on my part. I haven't even had this stack for two months yet. I'll be selling it as soon as the Element II comes.

jak

Atom has two inputs and costs less, but you have to unplug headphones to use the preamp out function.

Huge advantage of the Atom IMO, don't want to have to press a button on the back each time I want to switch between headphones and speakers on pre-out. That said, on the Atom you might need to switch from high gain to low gain manually if you need high gain for headphones.

Tks

Major Contributor
Either I'm color blind, or am I seeing this correctly. This thing plows the 789 in low gain in terms of lower noise+IMD vs all levels? (Sure the power output isn't as high, but for someone like me listening to my RME at -5dBu Ref level, and 789 on Low gain, I could stand to use a volume knob I could operate beyond 12 o'clock). I did not see such a massive difference coming especially at lower volume which for me personally is a massive win since I seem to not listen to music as loud as anyone for the most part.

Also, I like the new 50mw Dynamic Range graph being paired with the 2V/4V(for balanced devices) graph on the left, nice work bossman! And nice work JDS Labs on not having any regression of already top tier performance here (many older amps simply do not play well with low power required IEMs, so it's nice to see more powerful amplifiers also taking this performance into account), while also still beating max power output at lower distortion than even the 789 in SE.. THAT is the kind of engineering that gets me going. Killing it from nearly all sides.

There are two problems I have though. I disliked it on the original, and I dislike it here. That volume knob could be nice to look at and nice to play with more than almost any other. But two issues I have:

1) My RME rests on top of my 789, and the gap between each is still enough where the 789 has dust on it. That volume knobs' junction on the El Amp between the case, and the space between the knob seems ripe for a whole ton of debris and dust to just fall down into it. My OCD is wanting to get rid of my 789 just because it has those holes on top front portion of the case where all the dust falls onto the interface parts of the amps controls (gain, power, input selector, and volume knob), and get a Monoprice 887 JUST because it's fully sealed (which the 789 should have been considering its very low heat output). The only thing is, I like the finish better on the 789 (simply more work has gone into it in its tidiness). I can only imagine going crazy from using an amp with a volume knob set on top of the device and all the dust falling down the sides of the knob.

2) The volume knob on the first iteration was just a big knob, while the actual pot itself wasn't of substantial size where it would pair harmoniously with the size of the great feeling knob. What that ended up producing was a dinner plate-on-a-stick balancing act where it was wobbly and not firm. In this form factor, I imagine the pot "stem" isn't substantially a larger diameter to make it less of a problem with the wobbling?

Regardless of those two personal complaints. People wanted a metal enclosure from JDS, seems they not only got that, but also the nice top volume knob design of their prior offering (so as long as you're not like me).

Though with SMSL's recent offering. It may be a hard sell if you're not concerned with "stackability"

Now give us balanced ;)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
2) The volume knob on the first iteration was just a big knob, while the actual pot itself wasn't of substantial size where it would pair harmoniously with the size of the great feeling knob. What that ended up producing was a dinner plate-on-a-stick balancing act where it was wobbly and not firm. In this form factor, I imagine the pot "stem" isn't substantially a larger diameter to make it less of a problem with the wobbling?
It is the same. The jog/shuttle on professional VCRs of the past, it is not.

dropbear

What a facepalm it was when I saw the back when stacked, those misaligned RCAs...well, you can't win them all, I guess. Maybe they had less lift with short RCAs when they were not aligned, unlike that funny picture of Schiit's Modi/Magni stack
3728934.jpg

If in any case someone from JDS listens to my confession, I want to confess I would appreciate the same front panel switch as EL DAC, but this one would switch between outputs (Line/HP) - imagine the play you would get - switching inputs using the bottom button and outputs using the top button and after that enjoying that ol'mighty volume knob.

Noob

FYI, there is a comb package in the form of JDS Labs ELEMENT II which I will review later today or tomorrow.

This teaser has me on the edge of my keyboard. I have been searching for an ideal combo unit, and I wonder if this could be the end of my searching.

MerdaFit

FYI, there is a comb package in the form of JDS Labs ELEMENT II which I will review later today or tomorrow.

This teaser has me on the edge of my keyboard. I have been searching for an ideal combo unit, and I wonder if this could be the end of my searching.

Is the Element II review still a work in progress? Hopefully you didn't run into any issues.

Veri

Master Contributor
Is the Element II review still a work in progress? Hopefully you didn't run into any issues.
Of course it is, it's not even 24hours, give Amir some time. He is not a machine, the AP is :D

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Of course it is, it's not even 24hours, give Amir some time. He is not a machine, the AP is :D
Thanks. :) I am getting hammered with review of products that have been here for a while. And news/outdoor projects have picked up steam so there will be some delay in Element review.

Mumstead

I already ordered it based on the reputation of JDS and John's comment on the JDS blog that says that the Element II is a better option unless you need the extra inputs of the El DAC. It's pretty impressive that the manufacturer is steering people toward the cheaper option. I hope I did the right thing!

here is his quote:
"Element II is an EL Amp with the USB stage and DAC from EL DAC II. There are no performance differences that I have observed.
Element II is your best choice, unless you need the additional inputs of EL DAC II."

MerdaFit

Thanks. :) I am getting hammered with review of products that have been here for a while. And news/outdoor projects have picked up steam so there will be some delay in Element review.

No worries at all, merely curious/(jealous he already has a unit) ;)

I've already ordered as well. Having to use a separate volume control for my speakers was about my only gripe with the original so the preamp is a welcome addition. My guess is the amp portion will measure very similar to the El Amp II.

JohnBooty

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What a facepalm it was when I saw the back when stacked, those misaligned RCAs...well, you can't win them all, I guess. Maybe they had less lift with short RCAs when they were not aligned, unlike that funny picture of Schiit's Modi/Magni stack
3728934.jpg

If in any case someone from JDS listens to my confession, I want to confess I would appreciate the same front panel switch as EL DAC, but this one would switch between outputs (Line/HP) - imagine the play you would get - switching inputs using the bottom button and outputs using the top button and after that enjoying that ol'mighty volume knob.

I got a solution for ya!

Seismic Audio's short RCA cables... excuse me, interconnects... are super flexible. As a Schiit stack owner, I can tell you that they pass the Schiit stack test for flexibility. :)

Two-pack: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AYB5MPM
One-pack: https://www.amazon.com/Seismic-Audio-Premium-Patch-SAPRCA1-RD/dp/B01A7SGD6E

dropbear

Not really in the case of 789, as far as I can tell, that amp doesn't go much above a room temperature.

Tks

Major Contributor
I would suggest u put DAC under the amp. Convection. Flow of warm air. Amp is warmer. It will fry your DAC.

Believe it or not, the RME generate more heat based on case temperature than the 789..

Gyroscopics

This El Amp II looks good. But I still love my Atom more. For $99 the Atom looks damn sexy stacked below a D50. No one would think the Atom has a plastic case underneath the D50.

Celty

This El Amp II looks good. But I still love my Atom more. For $99 the Atom looks damn sexy stacked below a D50. No one would think the Atom has a plastic case underneath the D50.
They certainly seem like an excellent pairing.

Top Bottom