• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Studio 590

murraycamp

Forum Donor
I just couldn't help it - bought a pair on sale ($500 each). When I jumped back into the hobby a couple of years ago I bought a pair of GoldenEar Triton 7s as a placeholder while I researched/auditioned my "last speaker I will ever buy (yeah right)."

I have been focused on looking at Revels. I have auditioned the f208 multiple (>7) times in various environments with various systems. Even the times when they were carefully placed, etc they sounded well balanced but never spectacular to my ears. I have never listened to them and thought "Man - I have to stroke a $3-5k check for them right now!" I felt I would be buying them because I was supposed to - great measurements, good in most rooms, etc. Kind of like eating your veggies as a kid. They just haven't gotten me excited or motivated to buy them. I have also auditioned the f228be and had largely the same experience.

So, I saw the JBL sale and decided the risk was so low that why the hell not? I have them set up - not well placed or dialed in - and am happy so far. Timbre, dynamics, etc sound great to me. After the holidays I will run REW, get them dialed in as much as possible, and then run Dirac. I think they will be good placeholders as the search continues. Maybe it never ends and these end up being my final speakers. Wouldn't that be a kick @ $500 each?

goldark

Forum Donor
This reminds me of when I "upgraded" my Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grands to the Revel F206 without listening to the Revels first. The Revels, by nearly every objective standard, are better than the Vienna Acoustics and listening to the Revels, they do nothing wrong - nothing stands out that annoys you or detracts from the music at all - it's what a loudspeaker should do, right?

And yet, I miss the Mozarts and how it "editoralized" the music and I wish I still had them. We're a science oriented site and we strive for measured, objective excellence, but that objective excellence should ultimately contribute to your emotional enjoyment otherwise the life is sucked out of the listening experience. Without seeing the measurements for the Studio 590, I can't say for sure - most likely the F208 is objectively the better speaker. But if the 590 makes you happy right now, it may be all you ever need.

Happy holidays, everyone.

Last edited:

Bugal1998

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This all subjective, but I had the same experience. I was prepared to write a check for a pair of used Salon 2s, but wanted to hear them first... So I auditioned the Revel F208, F228be, and Salon 2 at the Harman Store in NYC... Beautiful sound, but left me feeling uninspired. Anyway, I also bought a pair of 590s during the recent sale that I've compared with my 305p, 708p, and JBL M2 systems.

The 590s are pleasantly dynamic for the money, and a solid mid-fi sounding speaker (that's not a knock against them!). The 708p is a clear step-up in smoothness, clarity, detail, and dynamics... Dynamic sounds are more dynamic and delicate sounds are rendered more delicately through the 708s. Though I do prefer the bass response of the 590s. I haven't found any better floorstander for the sale price of the 590s if you want a lively speaker. My reaction switching back to the newer generation of speakers after three days listening to the 590s was, oddly enough, "relief". To use the old cliche', the 590s put a blanket over the sound compared to the newer generation of JBL tech (funny how the reviews online frequently reference the 590s removing a veil).

That said, the 590s will live happily in my living room next to a large black entertainment system serving daily duty for non-critical television and music. I listen to music for recreation and fun, and the 590s are fun! I've found much less enjoyment from far more expensive speakers... Enjoy them!

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
How do the 590s compare to the Triton 7s?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This all subjective, but I had the same experience. I was prepared to write a check for a pair of used Salon 2s, but wanted to hear them first... So I auditioned the Revel F208, F228be, and Salon 2 at the Harman Store in NYC... Beautiful sound, but left me feeling uninspired. Anyway, I also bought a pair of 590s during the recent sale that I've compared with my 305p, 708p, and JBL M2 systems.

The 590s are pleasantly dynamic for the money, and a solid mid-fi sounding speaker (that's not a knock against them!). The 708p is a clear step-up in smoothness, clarity, detail, and dynamics... Dynamic sounds are more dynamic and delicate sounds are rendered more delicately through the 708s. Though I do prefer the bass response of the 590s. I haven't found any better floorstander for the sale price of the 590s if you want a lively speaker. My reaction switching back to the newer generation of speakers after three days listening to the 590s was, oddly enough, "relief". To use the old cliche', the 590s put a blanket over the sound compared to the newer generation of JBL tech (funny how the reviews online frequently reference the 590s removing a veil).

That said, the 590s will live happily in my living room next to a large black entertainment system serving daily duty for non-critical television and music. I listen to music for recreation and fun, and the 590s are fun! I've found much less enjoyment from far more expensive speakers... Enjoy them!
I think what you experienced is just the complete lack of brightness from the 590's, which makes them one of the most non-fatiguing neutral speakers out there. You can see it in the measurements, too. When you listen to other speakers, you experience more treble output which makes for a more "exciting" sound up top. Neither is wrong; some of this comes down to what you plan to listen to, and for how long.

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
I think what you experienced is just the complete lack of brightness from the 590's, which makes them one of the most non-fatiguing neutral speakers out there. You can see it in the measurements, too. When you listen to other speakers, you experience more treble output which makes for a more "exciting" sound up top. Neither is wrong; some of this comes down to what you plan to listen to, and for how long.

I'll try to get some raw measurements comparing their respective in-room response if there's interest. You're right about the 590s being completely non-fatiguing (Amir made a similar observation about the 530). However, even eq'd to a similar response my observation holds true; the annular diaphrams are noticeably more resolving.

Or maybe it's the difference between the HDI horn vs the bi-radial? Or it could be a relative lack of resonances across the loudspeaker system in the newer generation allowing more nuance to be heard... it's hard to say without some objective data.

Nonetheless, I'm enjoying the 590s and find them subjectively impressive at their sale price.

More Dynamics Please

It's always interesting to hear everyone describe the sound of the JBL 5 Series speakers as non-fatiguing neutral with comfortable treble output when they feature compression drivers that most people automatically associate with a bright, fatiguing sound. They really break the old compression driver stereotype. I've seen it noted that the 5 Series uses basically the same compression driver as JBL's Eon PA speakers.

OP
M

murraycamp

Forum Donor
How do the 590s compare to the Triton 7s?
Holding my opinion until I can get placement dialed in but much better bass response (no surprise there). Also, Tritons are bright but these seem more balanced.

OP
M

murraycamp

Forum Donor
Also, I agree with the comments regarding them being non-fatiguing. I do not notice any less mid to upper freq. resolution or clarity as compared to Triton 7s but still early days. Ymmv, IMHO, etc.

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
Also, I agree with the comments regarding them being non-fatiguing. I do not notice any less mid to upper freq. resolution or clarity as compared to Triton 7s but still early days. Ymmv, IMHO, etc.

Quick update a week in... now that I've been living with the 590s calibrated I'm finding I enjoy them significantly more than the 708p for casual listening.

steve59

Major Contributor
This reminds me of when I "upgraded" my Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grands to the Revel F206 without listening to the Revels first. The Revels, by nearly every objective standard, are better than the Vienna Acoustics and listening to the Revels, they do nothing wrong - nothing stands out that annoys you or detracts from the music at all - it's what a loudspeaker should do, right?

And yet, I miss the Mozarts and how it "editoralized" the music and I wish I still had them. We're a science oriented site and we strive for measured, objective excellence, but that objective excellence should ultimately contribute to your emotional enjoyment otherwise the life is sucked out of the listening experience. Without seeing the measurements for the Studio 590, I can't say for sure - most likely the F208 is objectively the better speaker. But if the 590 makes you happy right now, it may be all you ever need.

Happy holidays, everyone.

I sold my Beethovens and bought a pair of f52's, salon 1, and salon 2's ( and several other excellent measuring speakers)then found a pair of used beethovens same finish as my old ones and bought them. It's hard to explain I think because it's hard to understand why these speakers despite their shortcomings, just manage to be involving. It's like the VA's are 3d and the others are 2d. Like going from color to black and white.
Not picking on revel as I bought 3 pair I obviously liked much of what they do. everything's a tradeoff.

Pulkass

Jbl always disappointed me in the end. Gross shop friendly sound, but at home , problems arise, turn up the volume in my treated big room and they just can't handle it, no bracing inside, cheap X over full of electrolytic caps, with serious music they are finished. No classical, jbl is intent in saving 30 bucks in the production line, that same money could make a huge improvement in sound with bracing, simpler and better X over, and silicon gaskets. Not so many people can afford 20.000 bucks a piece 6600 s, but c Mon JBL make more decent items and keep them in production, don't change every six months. For that plastic gadgets too !!!!

Top Bottom